DONE with the August 21st PCAT!! THOUGHTS and YELLS of fustration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ji the Captain

The Unbreakable
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys I just finished the PCAT 4 minutes ago.

Hardness scale 1 to 10 with 10 being rape

Chemistry-6
biology-5
math-15893485
Verbal-7
RC-1

The 5 minute warning was called during math when I was on question 21..yeah...

I HOPE EVERY DID WELL!!

the waiting game begins good luck everyone!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Verbal - 4
Bio - 4
Chemistry - 6 (although I prepared a lot)
Essay - Sort of used these sections as a subliminal break. 2, 1
RC - 3 (but it is hard to tell with this section, as this was surprisingly my worst section in June)
Quant - :confused: Broke through the glass ceiling of a 10. Had a fleeting thought of voiding my score because of this section, but thankfully didn't because it appears the general consensus on here is that many struggled with the quant. No review material out there seemed to help much for this section, but then again I thought I did bad in June on quant but did well. Hopefully we all got lucky and mainly missed the experimental questions :laugh:

Now for the 6 week wait. :scared:

I honestly thought the whole test was hard. I didn't have time to finish reading comprehension because I got caught up on 3 questions in the beginning and didn't move on like I should have. Therefore, I only had 5 minutes to read the last passage and answer all the questions. I ended up panicking and wasn't able to think right so I probably got all those questions wrong because I ended up just bubbling any answers. I will be retaking this test in October.

How did you find the math easy? Any tips and trick in that area?

if you think about it, all the math questions are REALLY basic and redundant.

when i do it, i only try to do it really really fast with timer in my head, because I already ASSUME that whatever i pick is right without any doubts. (so no re-doing questions..)

so just practice thinking quickly and doing equations quickly.

.. for me at least, I've had 90's in both my 1st and 2nd PCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mainly used Dr. Collins and pearson test.

Verbal: - 3
Thank god that i was using Dr. Collins material. I had around 10-15 questions were identical to his exams. OMG I was so happy. English is my second language and I think I did great in this section but still there were few awkward analogies.

Bio: - 4
I had too many anatomy, microbio, physio questions. I haven't even taken these classes yet Im going to be a junior in this coming fall. i was more prepared for gen bio but in my version if test there weren't too many questions from gen bio. but again Dr. collins saved my a**. IN my exam I had around 10-12 question word to word from his practice tests. I was like wtf. I felt like i was literally cheating.

Chem: - 5
eff this section. This one supposed to be my strongest section but I had more than 70% organic chem. I was so pissed cuz i was more prepared for gen chem like acid base, molarity, stoichiometry but there weren't any questions from this. Thank god that i took o-chem last year. I wasn't clueless. Dr. collins helped me here as well. Again i had around 6-8 same questions and few were worded differently but I wonder how many versions of exams pearson have? cuz i asked my friends he said he only had 4-5 o-chem questions and my other friend only had 50% of ochem. I dont like this. Everyone should have in same pattern.

RC :- 5
They weren't too bad but because of my stupid proctor I couldn't concentrate. Dr. collins didn't help me here at all. His RC test are way too easy.

Math: - 10
OMG i dont even know what to say about this. Im so screwed. I was well prepared for this section and Math is my forte but there were so many calculus question. they were so hard and even some algebra problems were taking way too much time. I dont think anyone could sove this individual questions in less than a min. I am so pissed. If i remember correctly i did around 30 right questions. I had to guess on 18 questions. In short I just needed more time. I couldn't even make educational guess...ughhh:mad:

but anyone there who is looking for a study material. i would highly recommend Dr. collins. I would have failed without him...

glad me and my friends weren't the only ones who thought the math ****ed us over. I literally had a good 20 I had blank at the 5 minute mark. That's not including the ones I just guessed on as I went through to the end.

So the percentiles of each section are based on 04-07 scores? What if everyone in a given test date absolutely fail a given section?

I guessed on probably 60% of ALL of the test questions...that's what I get for choosing Dexter marathons over studying :shrug:

But I will DEFINITELY be studying for the October test (which I signed up for as soon as I got home!)

Verbal - It started off for me very good, then it went down hill from around #25...

Biology - Some Immunobiology and Anatomy were trivial, but it was okay.

Chemistry - I took Organic Chem I & II so it wasn't too bad.

Essay - I went kind of off topic on both haha:laugh:

Reading - I had to work the hardest on this one during my preparation, so I was fortunate enough to finish them all with a few minutes left on the clock, one of the passage I had trouble understanding as i didn't like the way it was narrated.

Math - Everyone had trouble on this section which I cannot understand why. Anyone that bought the Pearson Practice exam beforehand should know the difficulty and content of this section, it had some trigonomial calculus which I bet threw some people off but this section hardly striked me as the monstrosity that everyone here depicted it...:shrug:

Verbal - It started off for me very good, then it went down hill from around #25...

Biology - Some Immunobiology and Anatomy were trivial, but it was okay.

Chemistry - I took Organic Chem I & II so it wasn't too bad.

Essay - I went kind of off topic on both haha:laugh:

Reading - I had to work the hardest on this one during my preparation, so I was fortunate enough to finish them all with a few minutes left on the clock, one of the passage I had trouble understanding as i didn't like the way it was narrated.

Math - Everyone had trouble on this section which I cannot understand why. Anyone that bought the Pearson Practice exam beforehand should know the difficulty and content of this section, it had some trigonomial calculus which I bet threw some people off but this section hardly striked me as the monstrosity that everyone here depicted it...:shrug:

Actually looking back on the Math section I agree. I kind of said 'forget it' on about five questions since in my experiences there are always a handful of very 'long' questions, and instead got through the all the section snagging all the 'easier' questions as a result. I barely got through the entirety of the test, so I was glad I did this.

It was difficult, but judging from the three practice tests I took I should be around where I want to be in terms of my percentile based on how I 'felt'. I'm absolutely sure I got around 30 correct, and with any luck I should end up in mid to high 30's.

I believe I did amazingly well in Reading and Biology, as well as Verbal, and Chem I have no idea really. If Math goes well, I should end up with a strong percentile I hope. Anyway, I'll know in about 5-6 weeks. It was my first time taking the test, so I hope I do well and gain much needed confidence.

Verbal- I thought the analogies were tough. God forbid they use words I actually know and use.

Bio- What is up with the completely off the wall specific questions that a phD may not even know. I feel like one question may demonstrate the basic principal of diffusion and the next would ask for what the 364th gene on a human chromosome is (not actual questions).

Chem- i just needed MORE TIME. 5 more minutes would have done wonders!

Essays- I def did better on one of them and after reading a different post it's probably the experimental one :-(

Reading Comp- I felt like the passages were easy to read, but some of the questions were def harder than the Pearson tests.

Math- NEED MORE TIME AGAIN.

Overall I really don't think I will be taking it again. I'm praying for the best, but i do have a strong feeling that was my first PCAT attempt and also my last :). I've also taken the OAT and it is WAY EASIER THAN THE PCAT, you have no idea!!!!!

Verbal- I thought the analogies were tough. God forbid they use words I actually know and use.

Bio- What is up with the completely off the wall specific questions that a phD may not even know. I feel like one question may demonstrate the basic principal of diffusion and the next would ask for what the 364th gene on a human chromosome is (not actual questions).

Chem- i just needed MORE TIME. 5 more minutes would have done wonders!

Essays- I def did better on one of them and after reading a different post it's probably the experimental one :-(

Reading Comp- I felt like the passages were easy to read, but some of the questions were def harder than the Pearson tests.

Math- NEED MORE TIME AGAIN.

Overall I really don't think I will be taking it again. I'm praying for the best, but i do have a strong feeling that was my first PCAT attempt and also my last :). I've also taken the OAT and it is WAY EASIER THAN THE PCAT, you have no idea!!!!!

I'll never take the OAT, but it does sound easier.

And I feel the same way about the essay as well... mean they are just kind of a nice 'sparkle' to a score correct? Like a 4/4 or a 5/5 look great, but a 4/3 aren't the end of the world right if you have a good composite %.

I need more time on math and chem as well. Mean chem went sort of well, but math I just didn't feel amazingly good about.

What do you guys think, is it better to register now for October PCAT or wait till you get the score and pay the extra fee for registering late?

What do you guys think, is it better to register now for October PCAT or wait till you get the score and pay the extra fee for registering late?

I'm registered for the October just in case. They fill up crazy fast most times, and I would hate to be stuck with an awful score if I did badly worst case scenario.

I'm going for early admission, and if I do get in with my single August score (a sudden change of plans due to a pretty good GPA left me with just the August session...) I'll probably just not care about the $150 fee that I may miss out on since it will be too late to cancel it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm registered for the October just in case. They fill up crazy fast most times, and I would hate to be stuck with an awful score if I did badly worst case scenario.

I'm going for early admission, and if I do get in with my single August score (a sudden change of plans due to a pretty good GPA left me with just the August session...) I'll probably just not care about the $150 fee that I may miss out on since it will be too late to cancel it.

COMPLETE SPECULATION: I was one of those chosen randomly to take the October PCAT on computer, but I have other plans that day and I won't be able to take it. I haven't replied to Pearson so maybe they'll send out another round of computer test invites soon to fill the spots of people who can't take the October computer test.

It seems the general consensus here is that this PCAT administration was significantly more difficult than others. It was my first time taking it so I can`t compare but I would say that the test was considerably harder than the Pearson practice tests. Does anyone know why it was harder this time around? Does Pearson occasionally overshoot the difficulty level of the test?

COMPLETE SPECULATION: I was one of those chosen randomly to take the October PCAT on computer, but I have other plans that day and I won't be able to take it. I haven't replied to Pearson so maybe they'll send out another round of computer test invites soon to fill the spots of people who can't take the October computer test.

I got an invite as well, but I just don't want to take it on the computer. You can't cross off answers, underline text, etc and I need to do all that to do well even though I do ok on my PCAT practice tests.

I mainly used Dr. Collins and pearson test.

Verbal: - 3
Thank god that i was using Dr. Collins material. I had around 10-15 questions were identical to his exams. OMG I was so happy. English is my second language and I think I did great in this section but still there were few awkward analogies.

Bio: - 4
I had too many anatomy, microbio, physio questions. I haven't even taken these classes yet Im going to be a junior in this coming fall. i was more prepared for gen bio but in my version if test there weren't too many questions from gen bio. but again Dr. collins saved my a**. IN my exam I had around 10-12 question word to word from his practice tests. I was like wtf. I felt like i was literally cheating.

Chem: - 5
eff this section. This one supposed to be my strongest section but I had more than 70% organic chem. I was so pissed cuz i was more prepared for gen chem like acid base, molarity, stoichiometry but there weren't any questions from this. Thank god that i took o-chem last year. I wasn't clueless. Dr. collins helped me here as well. Again i had around 6-8 same questions and few were worded differently but I wonder how many versions of exams pearson have? cuz i asked my friends he said he only had 4-5 o-chem questions and my other friend only had 50% of ochem. I dont like this. Everyone should have in same pattern.

RC :- 5
They weren't too bad but because of my stupid proctor I couldn't concentrate. Dr. collins didn't help me here at all. His RC test are way too easy.

Math: - 10
OMG i dont even know what to say about this. Im so screwed. I was well prepared for this section and Math is my forte but there were so many calculus question. they were so hard and even some algebra problems were taking way too much time. I dont think anyone could sove this individual questions in less than a min. I am so pissed. If i remember correctly i did around 30 right questions. I had to guess on 18 questions. In short I just needed more time. I couldn't even make educational guess...ughhh:mad:

but anyone there who is looking for a study material. i would highly recommend Dr. collins. I would have failed without him...

Maybe im in the minority, but Im appaled at the fact I knew every single spec of Dr Collins Verbal material and I got MAYBE 2-3 repeats......am I with anybody else? 10-15 identical problems, sheeeesh, you sure got lucky.....I only saw 2-3 repeats

Maybe im in the minority, but Im appaled at the fact I knew every single spec of Dr Collins Verbal material and I got MAYBE 2-3 repeats......am I with anybody else? 10-15 identical problems, sheeeesh, you sure got lucky.....I only saw 2-3 repeats

Wow still 2-3, I'm investing in that if I have to retake in Oct just to give some of my best sections a boost and become more familiar with the material in general.

How do we get the results....is it by mail or do they post it online somewhere?

Is it really 6 weeks of waiting or do they usually get them out earlier?

How do we get the results....is it by mail or do they post it online somewhere?

Is it really 6 weeks of waiting or do they usually get them out earlier?

I second this question. Does it literally take 6 weeks, or less than that most times?

And doesn't PEARSON have an online score report? Can you just check this and get your results earlier than mail (due to mail lag time)?

Pearson has up to 6 weeks to get your scores to you per the candidate info booklet. Typically, it seems they come back in about 5 weeks. For the June PCAT, they took 6 weeks to the day to get me mine.

The scam they run is that they mail the scores out say on a Tuesday, then make the scores available on their website starting on Wednesday night for a $20 fee (essentially, you are ording a replacement report). Since you've already waited so long and are dying to know, you pay the extra $20 to see your scores, and then they show up in the mail the next day.

Pearson has up to 6 weeks to get your scores to you per the candidate info booklet. Typically, it seems they come back in about 5 weeks. For the June PCAT, they took 6 weeks to the day to get me mine.

The scam they run is that they mail the scores out say on a Tuesday, then make the scores available on their website starting on Wednesday night for a $20 fee (essentially, you are ording a replacement report). Since you've already waited so long and are dying to know, you pay the extra $20 to see your scores, and then they show up in the mail the next day.

5 weeks... I've been having nightmares/dreams about the results already so I have a whiles to go... I'll just hold tight, but I'm so impatient but so cheap at the same time I don't know which characteristic will win.

um did I take a completely different exam than everyone else?? mine was completely different than Dr Collin's. Even for verbal, there was a max of two questions that were the same. Chem was 100% different. Ditto for quantitative and bio. I have Collin's, the Kaplan COURSE, and Pearson practice tests. My PCAT was completely different than any of them. wtf.

um did I take a completely different exam than everyone else?? mine was completely different than Dr Collin's. Even for verbal, there was a max of two questions that were the same. Chem was 100% different. Ditto for quantitative and bio. I have Collin's, the Kaplan COURSE, and Pearson practice tests. My PCAT was completely different than any of them. wtf.

I'm with you on this, philapharm7. I didn't take the Kaplan course, but used Collin's. Chem was wayyyy more organic than Collins had, and the verbal had maybe 2 questions that were the same. As for the quantitative. Maybe I'm just dumb, but Collin's didn't help me whatsoever!

I'm with you on this, philapharm7. I didn't take the Kaplan course, but used Collin's. Chem was wayyyy more organic than Collins had, and the verbal had maybe 2 questions that were the same. As for the quantitative. Maybe I'm just dumb, but Collin's didn't help me whatsoever!

Wait is Collins supposed to be really that accurate? Does he steal tests or what?!?! How does he get that 'good' at prepping you? Chem seems to be such a broad field you can never really prep entirely... For Bio I used McGraw-Hill and Kaplan book, and I swear those two sections in those books get you very prepared for bio. But who is to say, I have no idea how I did yet.

does anyone know how they scale the exam? Since we all get different forms, are we scaled according to the people with the same test form or just everyone since 2007 regardless of their test form?

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME BUT IN CHEM!!! I was on question #28 and as soon as she said 5 minutes, I panicked and couldn't even concentrate enough to finish reading another question :(

Math was a terror....RC and Verbal weren't bad. Bio was harder than I expected but nothing like math or chem.

I scored between a 67-87 on pearson... my guess for the real thing: 30-50, no joke. NOTHING like pearson. I hate my life right now :(

Omg I know how you feel! I scored around the same of Pearson and Math was a total nightmare!!!!I must have guessed like 15-15 of them because i was nowhere near finished when she called 5min i started guessing my lucky letter "B" lol for like all of them....how can we study for Math? anyone know good resources?

This is exactly how I feel. I had maybe 2-3 repeats max...I feel scammed, while most others are getting alot of repeats. I guess thats just my luck....I couldnt hit water if I fell out of a boat

I don't understand how you guys expect Collin's and the PCAT to be identical. What would be the point of even taking the exam at that rate? Collin's is supposed to just give you more practice, not give you the problem verbatim. With that said, it's still one of the best (imo, it's the best) set of PRACTICE problems for the PCAT (aside from actual pearson exams). If you memorize the problems from Collin's and then don't understand the actual concept in the problem... then I suggest you go back to your books and start reading. Collins by no means will actually teach you the stuff, it just helps you go over the stuff that you already know.

With that said, there were plenty of posts regarding Collins and his lack of Organic material, same with Kaplan. And there were posts from other PCATS where people stated how surprised they were with the amount of Organic they got on the exam. You should already be expecting at least 40% of the material to be Organic.

With all that said however, you guys probably did better than you think. Generally that seems to be what happens so just forget about it for the next 5 weeks & concentrate on apps/school!

I don't understand how you guys expect Collin's and the PCAT to be identical. What would be the point of even taking the exam at that rate? Collin's is supposed to just give you more practice, not give you the problem verbatim. With that said, it's still one of the best (imo, it's the best) set of PRACTICE problems for the PCAT (aside from actual pearson exams). If you memorize the problems from Collin's and then don't understand the actual concept in the problem... then I suggest you go back to your books and start reading. Collins by no means will actually teach you the stuff, it just helps you go over the stuff that you already know.

With that said, there were plenty of posts regarding Collins and his lack of Organic material, same with Kaplan. And there were posts from other PCATS where people stated how surprised they were with the amount of Organic they got on the exam. You should already be expecting at least 40% of the material to be Organic.

With all that said however, you guys probably did better than you think. Generally that seems to be what happens so just forget about it for the next 5 weeks & concentrate on apps/school!

Yeah I would find it quite concerning if Collin's had multiple questions that appeared exactly on the actual PCAT.

On a side note, McGraw-Hill had a great Ochem section and Microbio section as well, even though for Ochem just looking back through my old exams was the most helpful.

I had no problem with the organic. I used kaplan's MCAT book. The orgo section is just as big as the gen bio, gen chem and physics (not that we need that one) sections, it's got over 10 chapters. But anyway the Kaplan PCAT has organic as a chapter in the end. It shouldn't be a chapter- it's a whole damn subject. Anyway i say use the Kaplan organic MCAT and you'll find the orgo to be WAY EASIER. Hope this helps someone.

Omg I know how you feel! I scored around the same of Pearson and Math was a total nightmare!!!!I must have guessed like 15-15 of them because i was nowhere near finished when she called 5min i started guessing my lucky letter "B" lol for like all of them....how can we study for Math? anyone know good resources?

We have the same lucky letter. LOL!

Just a thought:

for people who think they did bad on quantitative-
I took mine on June and thought I screwed QR section real bad... I guessed the final 10 questions in like 2-3 minutes. Amazingly when my results came out I was surprised to find I scored in 92 percentile :laugh: I was like wtf.... :D anyways good luck to you all waiting..

Dont get me wrong. Im not "expecting" Collins to have exact problems. But when other kids that my scores are gonna be compared against say that they saw 15 or so problems exact, and I studied the same problems and material, and I see 3-5 same problems, its quite upsetting, and unfortunate...thats all

Chem - 5
Reading - 7
Bio - 3
Verbal - 5
Quant - 1,000,000!!! lol the quant. was hard.. I always run outta time and I did run out of time on the exam.. a little more than half way through and she called 5 mins left. :( ya. we'll see about this.

Glad its over... but dunno if i should sign up for oct. or not.. :( I need to decide quick because the deadline is coming up like sept. 7th or something.

Chem - 5
Reading - 7
Bio - 3
Verbal - 5
Quant - 1,000,000!!! lol the quant. was hard.. I always run outta time and I did run out of time on the exam.. a little more than half way through and she called 5 mins left. :( ya. we'll see about this.

Glad its over... but dunno if i should sign up for oct. or not.. :( I need to decide quick because the deadline is coming up like sept. 7th or something.

I mentioned this somewhere else, but I always make sure to toss the incredibly involved or difficult questions away and try to get all the way through the test and snag all the questions I can.

Also, it helps me to have a watch which I turn the minute hand to 12 and then keep track during the test that way. If I am around 24 questions (half way) when the hand is on 4, I'm in good shape. And if I'm ahead of schedule, I'll spend some more time on hard questions (ie. solving more difficult equations, some hard calc stuff, lots of adding numbers, etc).

Pacing and cutting your losses is the key to doing well in quant, in my opinion. Also get very good at quickly adding/multiplying numbers and approximating, it has worked wonders for me.

That being said, I have no idea how I did on the quant but on the second and third Practice PCAT tests my quant score jumped considerably just by getting to question 48 and leaving lost cause questions alone.

did any of you guys take both the June and August exam and thought the aug. one was harder?

i took it in june knowing that i was not prepared for it. i got a 66% which i know isn't great, but it is not too bad for not studying at all.

i studied for the next two months using Kaplan book, dr. collins, and text books and thought that verbal and reading were easier but wow bio, chem and math were a lot more detailed and required more time for each problem.

a few of the questions that i had were like a paragraph each!!

Chem-6 I haven't taken much adv. chem
Quant-8
Reading-2
Biology-2
Verbal-1
Essays-These were not what I expected, but I think I did well, despite only have one page on one and two on the other. The essays had flow to them however, and that will help. Having an incoherent three page essay is not as efficient as having one page with all the points covered.

Now my question is, since we don't know the scores until two weeks before the next exam do we "guess" if we need to take the next one?

did any of you guys take both the June and August exam and thought the aug. one was harder?

I took both. Studied randomly throughout the spring semester for June and got a 62%. Unfortunately, I didn't study this summer (took A&P I, Public Spkg, and worked full-time as a pharm tech). I thought Bio and Chem were much harder than June's, but verbal, RC, and Quant were easier. I really need to raise my Bio & Chem composites, so I've cleared my schedule to study for Oct.

That about sums up my experience with it lol. Chose my favorite letter for the last 20 on chem and quant lol.

Hi guys! I also took aug PCAT! that was tough!!!! :(:confused::scared: planning to get Dr.Collins material, for aug pcat I used just Kaplan's book and Barron's practice tests, Kaplan had several mistakes and typos! Did anyone have Kaplan's classes? does it help? I see that a lot of you (from the thread) used Dr.Collins, so is it good?
Thanx

Hi guys! I also took aug PCAT! that was tough!!!! :(:confused::scared: planning to get Dr.Collins material, for aug pcat I used just Kaplan's book and Barron's practice tests, Kaplan had several mistakes and typos! Did anyone have Kaplan's classes? does it help? I see that a lot of you (from the thread) used Dr.Collins, so is it good?
Thanx

I've never even heard of Dr. Collins until spending more time on here recently after i also just took that test last week, but I feel the general consenus on here is Dr. Collins is the best. A friend of mine took the MCAT course and he gave me the books- there's 1 that has Biological sciences and organic in it and another that has gen chem and physics. I used those 2 to study for the 3 science parts and then I used practice tests to study for verbal and RC. I used Pearson practice tests to prepare for the essay, but for Math I felt lost. I read the Kaplan PCAT Math section and I understood it, but the PCAT test goes way more in depth so I think I bombed that section, but i expected it lol.

Thanx

I took the Kaplan course and I thought it was okay. The course material that they provide you is pretty good. They also have online modules that you do to practice with. Is it worth the $1300? Probably not, but if you need something to help you stay focused on studying then the Kaplan course is a good idea. If you have the money, then do what you have to do to make a good score on the PCAT. All the money that you spend on preparing for the PCAT will be worth it when you become a pharmacist.

I took the Kaplan course and I thought it was okay. The course material that they provide you is pretty good. They also have online modules that you do to practice with. Is it worth the $1300? Probably not, but if you need something to help you stay focused on studying then the Kaplan course is a good idea. If you have the money, then do what you have to do to make a good score on the PCAT. All the money that you spend on preparing for the PCAT will be worth it when you become a pharmacist.

Where do they offer the Kaplan course? How long is it, and how many days per week is it?

Soooo I never post in this PCAT forum but I thought I'd check it out today to see what others thought about the August PCAT...and I'm glad I looked! So good to know I'm not the only one who feels no-so-hot about it. It was my second time taking it, so I THINK I did better than the first time, but I really have no idea. UGGHHHHHH...the lame part is, since the October exam will be right in the middle of a 17 credit semester, there is almost no way I would improve at all as I would have ZERO time to study. If I have to retake, it will be in January, which is too late for some schools. :mad:

I want my score. Imma hate if I have to retake because I lose knowledge quickly and feel like after 6 weeks I wont remember as much.