done with SDN!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

901preDent

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off let me say that I think this site is somewhat helpful in certain aspects! However, I think that the site overall has done people more harm than good! My intention was to attempt the daT yesterday, however after 4 months of 8 hr./day study hard core all day, tutoring all sciences, helping kids dominate chemistry classes and biology classes, immunology (med school level from a harvard trained professor) and a&P also. I mean these people get A's .Attending classes i.e gen chem 1&2 bio 2 taught by awesome professors and getting math tutoring from a guy who I would put up against any doctorial level math student in the country. And still after all this you mean to tell me that I am not ready for the DAT????? WTF!!!well I dont know if it would have paid off on the real exam but I did not feel right about it so I cancelled!! This site has only discouraged me by all of the FALSE DAT scores!!! I initially like most believed everything I read on here, now I know for A fact that over half of what is being posted about the DAT Is Total BS!!! I have heard first hand of people who post false DAt scores whether it be dental students pre dents or whomever. You cant tell me that the average dat score is like 20++. I know many people do score 20+ but Ill bet you it is not their first attempt! Some do I know but very few!! I am a 3.7 science student and very dedicated to my passion. This site makes one feel as if a 17-18 is a bad score!! In all actuality it is a very competitive score. I know there are many people who feel the same So I will just say that when i continue with my dat studies hardcore after fall semester I will not EVEN ONCE consult SDN. I am not trying to boycott Sdn or anything just putting in my 2 cents and probally my last post!? All this question guessing on here makes my flesh crawl!! there is no way anyone can tell you whats on the exam so there is no point in trying to guess what questions you will get as I know many people do!! It is a total crap shoot and it could be your lucky day or not!! I will say that topscore is a good indicator of your actual DAt scores!! So keep studying hard and stop trying to memorize questions! think of the most random thing they could ask because they will and anyone who say the real DAT is easy or basic is full of it!!I did not take the dat ( I cancelled my exam) I have friends who did and I will restudy with them again and take next summer and I know now how to approach.. I promise it is not with any study guide!!!! later!oh. Btw I know my grammer and punctuation is not proper so dont correct me on it!!Good thing dat isnt verbal!lol

Members don't see this ad.

First off let me say that I think this site is somewhat helpful in certain aspects! However, I think that the site overall has done people more harm than good! My intention was to attempt the daT yesterday, however after 4 months of 8 hr./day study hard core all day, tutoring all sciences, helping kids dominate chemistry classes and biology classes, immunology (med school level from a harvard trained professor) and a&P also. I mean these people get A's .Attending classes i.e gen chem 1&2 bio 2 taught by awesome professors and getting math tutoring from a guy who I would put up against any doctorial level math student in the country. And still after all this you mean to tell me that I am not ready for the DAT????? WTF!!! This site has only discouraged me by all of the FALSE DAT scores!!! I initially like most believed everything I read on here, now I know for A fact that over half of what is being posted about the DAT Is Total BS!!! I have heard first hand of people who post false DAt scores whether it be dental students pre dents or whomever. You cant tell me that the average dat score is like 20++. I know many people do score 20+ but Ill bet you it is not their first attempt! Some do I know but very few!! I am a 3.7 science student and very dedicated to my passion. This site makes one feel as if a 17-18 is a bad score!! In all actuality it is a very competitive score. I know there are many people who feel the same So I will just say that when i continue with my dat studies hardcore after fall semester I will not EVEN ONCE consult SDN. I am not trying to boycott Sdn or anything just putting in my 2 cents and probally my last post!? All this question guessing on here makes my flesh crawl!! there is no way anyone can tell you whats on the exam so there is no point in trying to guess what questions you will get as I know many people do!! It is a total crap shoot and it could be your lucky day or not!! I will say that topscore is a good indicator of your actual DAt scores!! So keep studying hard and stop trying to memorize questions! think of the most random thing they could ask because they will and anyone who say the real DAT is easy or basic is full of it!! later!

8 hours a day for 4 months and you're not ready? Maybe you need to re-evaluate the way you are studying because there is something seriously wrong. Bye.

First off let me say that I think this site is somewhat helpful in certain aspects! However, I think that the site overall has done people more harm than good! My intention was to attempt the daT yesterday, however after 4 months of 8 hr./day study hard core all day, tutoring all sciences, helping kids dominate chemistry classes and biology classes, immunology (med school level from a harvard trained professor) and a&P also. I mean these people get A's .Attending classes i.e gen chem 1&2 bio 2 taught by awesome professors and getting math tutoring from a guy who I would put up against any doctorial level math student in the country. And still after all this you mean to tell me that I am not ready for the DAT????? WTF!!! This site has only discouraged me by all of the FALSE DAT scores!!! I initially like most believed everything I read on here, now I know for A fact that over half of what is being posted about the DAT Is Total BS!!! I have heard first hand of people who post false DAt scores whether it be dental students pre dents or whomever. You cant tell me that the average dat score is like 20++. I know many people do score 20+ but Ill bet you it is not their first attempt! Some do I know but very few!! I am a 3.7 science student and very dedicated to my passion. This site makes one feel as if a 17-18 is a bad score!! In all actuality it is a very competitive score. I know there are many people who feel the same So I will just say that when i continue with my dat studies hardcore after fall semester I will not EVEN ONCE consult SDN. I am not trying to boycott Sdn or anything just putting in my 2 cents and probally my last post!? All this question guessing on here makes my flesh crawl!! there is no way anyone can tell you whats on the exam so there is no point in trying to guess what questions you will get as I know many people do!! It is a total crap shoot and it could be your lucky day or not!! I will say that topscore is a good indicator of your actual DAt scores!! So keep studying hard and stop trying to memorize questions! think of the most random thing they could ask because they will and anyone who say the real DAT is easy or basic is full of it!! later!

I feel your pain ... +pity+

Dude you have no idea who you are talking to! I will tell you to yours and anyone elses face that 4 mths. is not even close to preparing for that test that was given yesterday!!! If you took the test that someone i know was given yesterday dude I swear you would cry! Either there is one DAT out there from hell or your right i do need to reevaluate as do many others b/c I promise you dude you would not last a day in my world!! I know what level of student I am and it is not to shabby and I promise you I will destroy the dat when do take it and I will def be ready and prepared to post REAL DAT Scores on here one day!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey 901-

I took my DAT today, and I have to tell you, I must have gotten your test. The Gchem and Bio on my test was absolutely insane. I put in a lot of work, i.e. a little over two months and only one month was 6+ hours a day, and I barely scraped out with some competitive scores. I 100% agree with you though, if someone got the test that I got today, I would put 10 grand down in a minute that people could not get my scores. It was absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Yea Im sure you got the same test. Even orgo was ridiculous right?? I mean come there is no reason to be that crazy! like all orgo 2 crazy rxns! reagents I never heard of??? did you get the afferent artery of the kidney quest?

I did not take but agood friend whom I studied with each day did.

Hey 901-

I took my DAT today, and I have to tell you, I must have gotten your test. The Gchem and Bio on my test was absolutely insane. I put in a lot of work, i.e. a little over two months and only one month was 6+ hours a day, and I barely scraped out with some competitive scores. I 100% agree with you though, if someone got the test that I got today, I would put 10 grand down in a minute that people could not get my scores. It was absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Weren't you in a competition with some other person here on SDN? Are you going to post your scores or wait until the other person took theirs?

Understand that SDN is a small fraction of the students applying to dental school and the scores posted here in no way reflect the actual average DAT score. I'd like to hope that no one would make up DAT scores or give other people false information for them to do worse.
I'm sorry your SDN experiance was so negative and I wish you the best.

Im not saying give up it is def. doable! I will tell you this ,my friend told me that he got a lot of reactions that he could not do from org 2 but he swore to me that I would have killed the orgo section. so what im saying is that he got a bunch of questions that he was not familiar with i.e stuff not found in any study material however with the right knowledge one could have gotten more right. The answer choices are really confusing to det. if you really understand the concept with 2 choices always being possible. SO stop memorizing facts and try to read into a concept ans ask what could they possible ask, however dont read into this too much b/c you can waste a lot of time doing this just realx if test is soon!! Stop studying so much either you know it by now or you dont!!

Weren't you in a competition with some other person here on SDN? Are you going to post your scores or wait until the other person took theirs?

I told the person who helped start it (poc91) my scores, so we'll wait for his verdict. All I am going to say thus far is that my 3 scores are between 60 and 70. None lower than 20, none higher than 25.

While I understand how people posting their scores up that are all 20+ is daunting for many people studying, this website is quite beneficial if you realize and understand exactly what ThewiredNerve wrote about this only being a small percentage of perhaps 'overachievers'.

On the other hand, SDN has been a huge help to me by introducing a lot of study materials that I would have never known about. I probably would have taken the DAT only having done Kaplan. This website has also been a heaven-sent for me because of all the people who are willing to answer questions. For those of us who have already graduated and don't have a private tutor or any place we can get help from, this is the place to go. I have had multiple people take the time to write out long elaborate explainations to questions I have had--this has truely been such a help and is greatly appreciated. Perhaps for us average students who do not do all this:

"tutoring all sciences, helping kids dominate chemistry classes and biology classes, immunology (med school level from a harvard trained professor) and a&P also. I mean these people get A's .Attending classes i.e gen chem 1&2 bio 2 taught by awesome professors and getting math tutoring from a guy who I would put up against any doctorial level math student in the country."

You can appreciate the help this website has to offer through people who are willing to take the time and help others succeed as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Understand that SDN is a small fraction of the students applying to dental school and the scores posted here in no way reflect the actual average DAT score. I'd like to hope that no one would make up DAT scores or give other people false information for them to do worse.
I'm sorry your SDN experiance was so negative and I wish you the best.
I know we all wanna believe that SDN is totally truthful and 100% effective and im not saying im not happy with my stent on sdn, I met a lot of great helpful people, but I will say I can totally promise that u should take EVERYTHING you and everyone else reads on here with a grain of salt!! It is not all truthful and the info def. is not even accurate The info given on sdn is not nearly enough to satisfy a competitive score I know this b/c noone can give you that info but your braIN During the test !! My friend totally got a cometitive score but It is not nearly what it should have been based on what is said on SDN, that you need to know to dominate the dat, if this makes sense!

I think that I had the same test. The Bio was crazy - I was able to do it only because I studied Schaum's Bio in and out. Even the Cliffs/Destroyer/Achiever/Kaplan together weren't enough for the crazy Bio section I had.

Tell your boy to relax. Scores this year have been lower, especially recently. I know that this month it was hard, and I know that I also made at least one dumb mistake on bio that I shouldn't have. The fact is, what a 23-24 was last year a 21-22 is this year. I know averages will drop next year, it would be damn near impossible to go the other way. Tell him to chill and reapply next year if he has to, otherwise, deal with it.

I told the person who helped start it (poc91) my scores, so we'll wait for his verdict. All I am going to say thus far is that my 3 scores are between 60 and 70. None lower than 20, none higher than 25.

I will make a guess: You did AA/TS/PAT = 23/22/23! :D

While I understand how people posting their scores up that are all 20+ is daunting for many people studying, this website is quite beneficial if you realize and understand exactly what ThewiredNerve wrote about this only being a small percentage of perhaps 'overachievers'.

On the other hand, SDN has been a huge help to me by introducing a lot of study materials that I would have never known about. I probably would have taken the DAT only having done Kaplan. This website has also been a heaven-sent for me because of all the people who are willing to answer questions. For those of us who have already graduated and don't have a private tutor or any place we can get help from, this is the place to go. I have had multiple people take the time to write out long elaborate explainations to questions I have had--this has truely been such a help and is greatly appreciated. Perhaps for us average students who do not do all this:

"tutoring all sciences, helping kids dominate chemistry classes and biology classes, immunology (med school level from a harvard trained professor) and a&P also. I mean these people get A's .Attending classes i.e gen chem 1&2 bio 2 taught by awesome professors and getting math tutoring from a guy who I would put up against any doctorial level math student in the country."

You can appreciate the help this website has to offer through people who are willing to take the time and help others succeed as well.
your right I can appreciate, and people like you are why I posted this comment. My point is that, to take the dat and tell me how much all those study materials REALLY helped in the overall big picture!! You might say that "I could not have gotten the score I did if not for that or this book" however you will never be able to say after that is said that I see that I didnt really need that book to succeed! The info is out there and not in any book i promise!!! Is exactly my point!!So I challenge you to take the real test and tell how much those study materials. really relped you!!! because I have not seen any study book out that test the understanding needed to get20+ across the board!
p.s. there are great study materials out!!! that I will continue to use! no offense to anyone!!

I took the DAT a month ago. Aside from a particular question about a whacked out Hb O2 dissociation curve, I thought it was alright.

I didn't say anything about "study" books. What are you talking about?

All I said was that having people to whom you can ask questions is helpful when you need a different explaination than offered in a book.

You need to chill out buddy.

Also, you are saying that it makes your "skin crawl" when people try to guess questions on this forum, well, how is it any better that your friend has revealed so much of his version of the DAT that you are going on this rant about God knows what?

I hear people saying that the DAT has like 3 or 4 versions or something. So is there like 1 really hard one that's totally taking some people for a hell ride (especially on bio)? Or is the ADA changing and making this test more difficult every month?

I don't even know what's going on anymore. Any ideas anyone?

I keep hearing about how the bio section is getting really hard. Do you think the ada is just throwing in some "test" questions to see how people do? I know they do that for the pat. Those test questions do not count towards your score. Just a thought. DB

I hear people saying that the DAT has like 3 or 4 versions or something. So is there like 1 really hard one that's totally taking some people for a hell ride (especially on bio)? Or is the ADA changing and making this test more difficult every month?

I don't even know what's going on anymore. Any ideas anyone?

I'm curious about the above...

FWIW, I think scores have actually gone up since I took the test in May. Around March, April, May, more people were getting nailed on the sciences.

But then again...it's all based on what I read on SDN...so...who knows.

Oh, if the tests all varied widely in difficulty...wouldn't that defeat the idea of standardized test? Kinda loses it's validity as a universal equalizer....my gut tells me this "difficulty" is really just on a relative scale. For example, I know from reading previous posts...I had the SAME bio version as other people who were saying it was all crazy and what not. Not trying to be cocky, but I didn't think it was all that bad. I mean, yeah the topics were a little confusing, but the questions could be reasoned through and process of elimination came rather easily.

The fact is, what a 23-24 was last year a 21-22 is this year. I know averages will drop next year, it would be damn near impossible to go the other way.

So where did you say you got this fact? Based on what I can see, many people have scored similarly as last year's students. If not, instead of saying the test has become 10-20% more difficult, maybe the test takers are 10-20% more stupid. If I say it's a fact, is that going to make it any more believable?

Your assumptions are weak, at best.

So where did you say you got this fact? Based on what I can see, many people have scored similarly as last year's students. If not, instead of saying the test has become 10-20% more difficult, maybe the test takers are 10-20% more stupid. If I say it's a fact, is that going to make it any more believable?

Your assumptions are weak, at best.

I've actually been reading the DAT scores on the forum for a while, and think that it is probably more likely that the test has gotten harder.

i have only taken DAT recently so I have no first hand knowledge, but several retakers who have taken the test from both last year and this year have stated that the test is getting more difficult.

I've actually been reading the DAT scores on the forum for a while, and think that it is probably more likely that the test has gotten harder.

i have only taken DAT recently so I have no first hand knowledge, but several retakers who have taken the test from both last year and this year have stated that the test is getting more difficult.

Yes, the test may have gotten harder but that doesn't mean the scores will get lower. Harder tests have more generous scale.

I have a friend who took the test today and made a 21AA/20TS/20PAT. He said that there were a few questions out of the blue but overall he didnt feel that it was that bad. It was his third time taking it. Sure it may not have been the version that ya'll are complaining about but I have a hard time believing that one test is that much more difficult than the other. The ADA has no way of regulating who gets what test....and it would be unethical to have one hard version floating around waiting to stick it to some random person.

Johnathan.....How could the test of been so ridiculously hard....and you still scored no worse than 20 in any section? That means at worst you missed 6 Biol questions.....4 G-chem questions.....5 Organic questions.......10-11 QR questions.....and 11-13 RC questions. Either you are an amazing guesser or you knew most of the questions asked. You said you scored no lower than 20 in any section and no higher than 25 in any section....which leads me to believe you landed somewhere in the 22AA range. Last time I checked....those are some outstanding scores.

Yes, the test may have gotten harder but that doesn't mean the scores will get lower. Harder tests have more generous scale.

Scale isn't instant. Standard scores are standard scores. You miss a certain amount, you get certain score. Scaled scores change by the year. I have no doubt that next year's percentages are going to be lower. Do percentages rise with a scale? I hope so. I also hope the ADA is watching who does what on what test, because there is no doubt in my mind that there is one version of the test that just rapes its takers.

The scale remains the same, as posted by ADA... http://ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_estimate_score.pdf

Although the test is getting harder, you are still allowed the same number of mistakes to achieve the same scores as last year.

Nope, that isn't true. That scale is just a sample scale which can be used for estimating your score. It doesn't apply for every tests. For example, I have gotten 27 in Bio, but according to that scale, a 27 in Bio doesn;t even exists.

Scale isn't instant. Standard scores are standard scores. You miss a certain amount, you get certain score. Scaled scores change by the year. I have no doubt that next year's percentages are going to be lower. Do percentages rise with a scale? I hope so. I also hope the ADA is watching who does what on what test, because there is no doubt in my mind that there is one version of the test that just rapes its takers.

I seriously doubt that harder test => lower score is true. That would be against the notion of a standardized test.

I am a 3.7 science student and very dedicated to my passion. This site makes one feel as if a 17-18 is a bad score!! In all actuality it is a very competitive score.

Maybe a competitive score for someone with a 3.7 GPA but I'm sorry to inform you that a 17-18 are not competitive scores for someone under a 3.5 GPA. You will not convince me otherwise because if 17s and 18s are competitive scores then I would have gotten in dental school last year. It seems to me that you are on a rant about something that has upset you and you see fit to vent to everyone on here about it. Yes the DAT is hard.....probably harder than previous years.....if you have done all of the studying you say you have....then believe me you should have no problem scoring in your competitive 17 to 18 range. If you can't score a 17 or 18 after 4 months of 8+ hours a day studying then something is seriously wrong. Stop trying to scare everyone into thinking that DAT is an impossible test to do well on. I know of too many people who have scored well on the test recently (not SDNers). If you study hard and put your time in good scores will follow.

Easy Now. Maybe some people on here do post innacurate scores, but they sure helped me. I got a 17 last year without this site. I made an educated assesment of what was said on this site and I think that it definitely helped. I would have gotten a 17 again without the resources found here. Good luck on your retake. By the way I studied for 2 months at about 6-8 hours a day. Good luck everyone, don't let this guy stress you out. YOU CAN DO IT.

Well you have none lower than 20 so you couldn't have done that bad :rolleyes:

I am a 3.7 science student and very dedicated to my passion. This site makes one feel as if a 17-18 is a bad score!! In all actuality it is a very competitive score.

Maybe a competitive score for someone with a 3.7 GPA but I'm sorry to inform you that a 17-18 are not competitive scores for someone under a 3.5 GPA. You will not convince me otherwise because if 17s and 18s are competitive scores then I would have gotten in dental school last year. It seems to me that you are on a rant about something that has upset you and you see fit to vent to everyone on here about it. Yes the DAT is hard.....probably harder than previous years.....if you have done all of the studying you say you have....then believe me you should have no problem scoring in your competitive 17 to 18 range. If you can't score a 17 or 18 after 4 months of 8+ hours a day studying then something is seriously wrong. Stop trying to scare everyone into thinking that DAT is an impossible test to do well on. I know of too many people who have scored well on the test recently (not SDNers). If you study hard and put your time in good scores will follow.
okay I did not start this thread to say the dat is impossible or that it cant be conquered I just am trying to offer advice to those taking soon!! Get off this site. People get on here and speak of whats on the test as if they know when unless you have actually taken the test noone knows!! I cant stand idiots like you! I never said I studied four months and cant get 17 or 18. In fact i am almost sure I could get at least a 17, however I am not taking yet b/c I dont want a seventeen! Coming from a rough b/g I need a DAt score that will give me options and a 17 wont cut it!! So dude why dont you stop critizing my thread and take the dat and tell me what you think!! believe it or not I did not take the test b/c I was indeed ready! I know most people wont be ableto wrap their mind around that logic but if you think about it makes total since for me!! I am not applying for 08 so I dont feel rushed to take the dat now like most last minuters !! i know the level of study i put in this summer and i know what level needs to be put forth! So all you dedicated SDNers that think this is your key to dschool keep listening to false info that will not help you on the test! yea that makes sence!!

http://ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_examinee_guide.pdf

Page 30, scoring of the test.

"The results are reported to dental schools in terms of standard scores rather than raw scores or percentile equivalents." So I dont really think its based on a curve...

I am not sure why that has anything to do with your conclusion?
That only means that the scores are reported as 20, 22, 23, etc, not in % or number of questions correct.

How do you know the scale is more generous? Any information back up this claim?

Because DAT is a standardized test? If the questions are harder and the scale is fixed, it cannot be called a standardized test.

all you guys keep on thinking that but I promise it is a crap shoot and not standardized! go ahead and say yea it is it says it on the website...of course the ada says that u actually think they will say the test may be unfair!!! everyone gets on here and says no its fair I took it but fortunately you just did not get a test from but I promise they r out there so just be ready but I promise it is a total crap shoot and may not test what you know but it will test how well you think you know stuff!!

I don't understand what message you are trying to convey with your posts. The DAT is fair so stop saying that it's not, and stop giving people false ideas that the DAT is some monster that they can't or won't overcome. I put a tremendous amount of effort into studying for the DAT so I don't like people saying that the score people get is a "crapshoot."

Please, use some grammar and punctuation so we can read whatever it is that you're ranting about .:laugh:

Because DAT is a standardized test? If the questions are harder and the scale is fixed, it cannot be called a standardized test.

But how would one objectively define harder until it is probably too late? The test makers could have made what they considered a minor tweak, kept the same scale, but we could feel the test is a lot harder. I think we need more objective information or someone in the know to really give an authoritative view on this matter. Remember that on your Score Report ADA says that only your Standard Scores are reported, but not the percentiles.

But how would one objectively define harder until it is probably too late? The test makers could have made what they considered a minor tweak, kept the same scale, but we could feel the test is a lot harder. I think we need more objective information or someone in the know to really give an authoritative view on this matter. Remember that on your Score Report ADA says that only your Standard Scores are reported, but not the percentiles.

Yeah, they could have made a mistake. My claim was base on the assumption that the ADA did not make such a big mistake.

But you are right, they might have mistaken.

ok you _ c word!! you are one who I was trying to help after you said you were screwed.. so I am done now with you so good luck using your little study guides or whatever u are using I hope you kill the DAt!! too bad grammer is not tested on the dat i wuld be soooo screwed huh spellin too!

Status
Not open for further replies.