Done the basic sci research, should you try clinical trial research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a Q: I've got years of basic lab-bench style research under my belt, but I'd like to try clinical type research. I know both show i can navigate the scientific method..which i've got down, so should i even bother with clinical? would it enhance my application to medical schools/graduate schools in any way? i've just been thinking about getting more patient contact...

thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

anyone can help me out? legit Q, searched, but i already know what both entail. just wondering if anyone has done both and if both were advantageous to job hunts/med apps?

anyone can help me out? legit Q, searched, but i already know what both entail. just wondering if anyone has done both and if both were advantageous to job hunts/med apps?

Having done a few years of both, I would say it depends a lot on what type of programs / jobs you're applying to. You mention grad programs, med school and jobs... all have very different considerations towards applicant research I think. Grad programs tend to require / prefer research within their field, while med schools will look favorably on any scientific research. Given that so few pre-meds have extensive research, it will help your application stand out (but will not by itself get you accepted, or make up for serious deficits elsewhere in your app).

I will say that clinical research gave me significant exposure to physicians, nursing staff, IRB and other people / aspects of the medical center that I wouldn't have seen working strictly in the lab. This helped solidify my interest in practicing medicine over getting a PhD, plus it gave me a LOR from a physician I worked with.

Another consideration though is getting a publication out of your research experience, which always takes longer than you'd think. And clinical studies often take even longer (consider that even a small study can stretch on for a year or more, then months of data analysis, manuscript preparation / revision, submission / reviews, further revision and finally acceptance / publication). Sometimes a well-defined bench project can be completed in just a few months and you can get a publication within a year. I've heard that doing chart reviews and retrospective analyses of data sets can expedite the publishing process, but these are likely projects you can't get involved in as a pre-med.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. This is just my experience, and I recommend reading the excellent FAQs in this section for more info about basic vs. clinical.