Done! 10/21!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makwendo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, just got back from the test center, I'll elaborate on everything later
till then

PA-18<---meh
QR-18<-----Was expecting MUCH lower
RC-22
Bio-21
GC-19
OC-18 <----OUCH! :eek:
TS-19
AA-20 <---HOLY MOLY FREAKIN COW :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Good scores man! How did it go? Did u use topscore or dat achiever or kaplan? how did it compare? Man, u are lucky! finally done! Must feel good , eh? Congrats

makwendo said:
till then

PA-18<---meh
RC-22
Bio-21
GC-19
TS-19

Members don't see this ad :)
makwendo said:
till then

PA-18<---meh
RC-22
Bio-21
GC-19
TS-19

pretty good. i don't think you did bad on OC with an 18.

makwendo said:
till then

PA-18<---meh
RC-22
Bio-21
GC-19
TS-19
Congratz man. Good work on those solid scores. In the words of Bart Simpson, "HOLY COW DUDE!"

Okay, now that I've recovered.....here's how the day went (warning, this post goes on for a while)

Test center was packed, every station was occupied. Still, I was on edge despite trying to calm down listening to yo yo ma for 1/2 hour in the parking lot.

Bio: There were some real left fielders here. Classification tied into evolution type questions. I got both the sea urchin and the bicarbonate questions. I marked/ skipped like 10 questions on the first pass, the nerves were on edge still

Chem: I was expecting to go higher than 19, again, i think it's the nerves that psyched me out coz i left a whole lot of questions the first pass through (and they were pretty straight forward ones).

Orgo: Basically, my worst performance of the day (relatively) in my opinion. Again, a lot of questions were pretty straight forward, more psychological pressure than anything, I didn get a few theory which were hit or miss depending on how you knew the material. I think focusing on reactions should be central to orgo learning but pay attention to factoids/ mechanism details, that will help a lot.

Science: I went back and filled in the incompletes (which were plenty). I was tight on time and I think the damage had been done, some I know i guessed on (in bio/chem/orgo). Overall, tougher than what I had expected. I think everyone softening up the real DAT saying that topscore is wayy harder in orgo/GC is stretching it a little. It's good practice for the computer simulation and that's it. You need to be exposed to as many problems as possible, which may have saved my butt from a 17 but given a different set of questions..who knows?

PAT:
Wow, TFE was easy, cubes were easy, hole punching was easy except for 2 questions where a fold appeared out of nowhere (I.e. fold in half from left to right so you have a tall half sheet of paper <--normal till here. And then all of a sudden the tall block was divided into 2 without the paper taking up less area so those 2 totally stumped me). Aperture required close observation of minute details. Pattern folding had a few tough ones, nothing impossible though. Angle ranking was INSANE! one problem was literally

\_ \_ \_ \__ <--like 1 degree difference i think

Break: I wolfed down a power gel. This i think was one of the main causes of my unexpectedly high (for me) QR score. The caffiene in the gel got me riled up.

RC: passages on Ca2+, ageing process and antibiotics. Read/ made notes for 5-6 mins, spent the rest of the 20 (per passage) answering. Nothing really bad except for the passage which is displayed across the whole width of the screen (topscore has a little window which i was used to) so it took a few paragraphs to get it in motion; im pretty fast at making notes while reading so it wasn't a problem. The power gel really woke me up and had me alert...

QR: There was 2-3 i knew i had no clue whatsoever; on required the variance forumula (which I failed to learn) and a few others. I spent 20 seconds on a question. If I felt I was going to get the right answer, I completed it, if i though it would take a while/ i wasn't going to get the answer, I skipped it. This strategy worked really well as I wasn't bogged down at all during the whole QR section. Another thing was that I tend to recheck my answer, but in the QR there is NO time to do this, just try to be on spot with your calculations and you should be good (this method again has a rate of success proportional to your level of accuracy/proficiency with calculations). I ended up with enough time to get to all the marked/ incompletes

Overall, 18PAT, 20AA, im not complaining, I could have done better, but that's a relative statement...someone with a 24AA saying that vs someone with a 17AA would mean two different things.

Studywise, 1 1/2 months, ~3-4 hours a day. There were some days where I didn't/ couldn't motivate myself to study so I just took the day off and was fresher than before the next day..just make sure you don't have too many of these. I really cranked up the heat this last week with practice tests and a LOT of QR. I used the Kaplan white book (I took the course 2 yrs ago and also the test 17/17 eek!), barrons, topscore pro, all the kaplan practice tests and some old AP chem SAT algebra books.

I'd like to say thanks to all at SDN for the help, its people like you who kept me motivated. However, there is a lot of false/ innacurate information floating around. Don't read a few posts about how people felt about their tests and draw conclusions about your performance from that....a good/ decent DAT score has to be earned..give up all external distractions...heck i'm a distance runner and I haven't put on my running shoes for the last 1 1/2 months!

makwendo said:
.... I got both the sea urchin and the bicarbonate questions.

What were the question if you remember?? I remember some one mentioning those two questions before but forgot them. Thanks.

AWESOME Score, Congrats!!!!!

714guy said:
What were the question if you remember?? I remember some one mentioning those two questions before but forgot them. Thanks.

AWESOME Score, Congrats!!!!!

Yes, what are the sea urchin and bicarb questions? I have heard people talk about them before. Do you remember any other questions? I am taking it Tuesday 10/25.

i remember the sea urchin question was on double fertilization or something like that. read up on it your bio book, i remember seeing in campbell's.

sorry i don't remember much about the bicarbonate.

They should be in campbells (sea urchin) and any respectable physiology book (for the bicarb)
but anyway

The reason for the release of XXX (I forgot) is to prevent >1 sperm fusing the egg (creates a membrane of some sort I think)

The bicarb qn I had was it's function as the primary buffer in blood (i.e. what is the primary buffer in blood). However, thinking about it, they could also ask how C02 is transported in the blood (bicarbonate ion and H+ ion).....

How is the chem section on the real thing? Do you need to memorize a lot of the complicated formulas or are they pretty common sense? I hope its mostly just mole calculations. Any advice?

jabeck74 said:
How is the chem section on the real thing? Do you need to memorize a lot of the complicated formulas or are they pretty common sense? I hope its mostly just mole calculations. Any advice?

hopefully your DAT's aren't 2 days from now or you should consider rescheduling to a later date unless you want to plop $170 down prometric/ADA's coffers.

If you're not taking the DAT's very soon, the Kaplan DAT blue book has all the material you need to know for the orgo and gen chem sections (bio you def need to supplement or have taken advanced classes to be ok). Kaplan has all the formulae req'd for the DAT...all are fair game in my opinion, some may show up more than others, but better to be overprepared than sitting staring at a question knowing that you passed up learning the formula for the problem in front of you which would be answered in 10 seconds had you had it.

makwendo said:
hopefully your DAT's aren't 2 days from now or you should consider rescheduling to a later date unless you want to plop $170 down prometric/ADA's coffers.

If you're not taking the DAT's very soon, the Kaplan DAT blue book has all the material you need to know for the orgo and gen chem sections (bio you def need to supplement or have taken advanced classes to be ok). Kaplan has all the formulae req'd for the DAT...all are fair game in my opinion, some may show up more than others, but better to be overprepared than sitting staring at a question knowing that you passed up learning the formula for the problem in front of you which would be answered in 10 seconds had you had it.

Did anyone actually see Gram Equivalent Weight/ Equivalents problems on the test? I've been studying the Kaplan book and there seem to be alot of concepts in the chemistry section that don't really appear on the topscore/dat achiever tests. I hear alot of people saying that the DAT chem/orgo is much more conceptual then the practice tests out there. Just kind of worried since i've been concentrating far more on plugging numbers into formulas.

I've been getting quite a few pm's about what is sufficient material for chem/orgo. So, in the even you haven't pm'd me, the Kaplan blue book has all you need. The extent to which you know it/ can apply the material will probably be a good indicator of your performance. There ain't no easy way around it folks, study study and study (oh and practice practice practice) EVERYTHING. repeat this n times..the higher the value of n, the better your score will probably be