Domestic partner benefits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosche

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've scoured this site, and several others, and have not found this dilemma addressed; so, I'll throw it out there (pun accidental!). I am a third year who is seriously considering a residency in Path.. I am currently at the University of Tennessee, and am in the top 1/3 of my class. My Step I scores were 246/99 and I have considerable research experience-- I add this only to emphasize that I am open to applying to any schools, though I really do not have my sights set on an extremely competitive program.

My dilemma: I am gay and in a committed long term relationship-10 years! I want to do my residency at a laid back school, preferably in the South or Midwest. Unfortunately, I have found little information regarding domestic partner health benefits. I did discover that Rush has DP benefits, but have found little else! Does anyone have any suggestions/info.? Especially considering: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Cleveland Clinic, Emory, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Univ. of Chicago, Kansas, and Cincinnatti. Thanks, in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You might find more info if you go to the individual university/hospital websites and search for employee benefits under human resources info.

I don't know about any of the programs you listed, but this year Ohio State University expanded benefits to include same-sex domestic partners -
according to the press release (see link below) other "Big Ten" and top research universities have already done the same. Good luck!

http://www.osu.edu/news/lvl2_news_story.php?id=868

mosche said:
Okay, I've scoured this site, and several others, and have not found this dilemma addressed; so, I'll throw it out there (pun accidental!). I am a third year who is seriously considering a residency in Path.. I am currently at the University of Tennessee, and am in the top 1/3 of my class. My Step I scores were 246/99 and I have considerable research experience-- I add this only to emphasize that I am open to applying to any schools, though I really do not have my sights set on an extremely competitive program.

My dilemma: I am gay and in a committed long term relationship-10 years! I want to do my residency at a laid back school, preferably in the South or Midwest. Unfortunately, I have found little information regarding domestic partner health benefits. I did discover that Rush has DP benefits, but have found little else! Does anyone have any suggestions/info.? Especially considering: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Cleveland Clinic, Emory, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Univ. of Chicago, Kansas, and Cincinnatti. Thanks, in advance.

First, congratulations on 10 years! I've been in a relationship with my partner for almost 8.

I agree with edamame--it is probably best to contact human resources of the individual programs. Although not in the midwest, you may also want to check the University of Rochester. We're a pretty "progressive" city compared to some in that we have a rather diverse population. While I worked for a different hospital here, I could have put my partner on my health insurance.

Good luck, and do let me know what you find out!