Doing some prereqs after graduating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purekirk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As a chemical engineering student going into my fourth year I know I wont be able to complete all the prereqs come next May. I'll have 5 half year courses left to complete, good news is I can take these courses as a non-degree student at my school. But I'm worried that since I wont have a full course load it will very negatively affect my med school applications. Is it going to be okay? Or will I have to fluff up my fifth year with bird courses to make it a full course load?

Members don't see this ad.

Your inquiry depends on your current GPA, the MCAT, and whatever else you have for your app. If your GPA is very competitive in your major and whatever pre-req's you have, just maintain that. You might get questioned why you didn't just complete the pre-req's during undergrad if you know you want to go to med school. But again, GPA trends are what's important here and you did not mention that.

If during that fifth year, you can take a full course load of science then that is always good.