Doing Fine in Basic Sciences, Struggling in OMM. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blunt Dissection

"Keep poking until it's out."
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm currently doing great in all my basic medical sciences and doctoring classes, but I'm struggling hardcore in my osteopathic manipulative medicine class. When it comes to our practicals, I can do all the techniques just fine, but conceptually, none of it makes sense to me. I've got a pretty extensive knowledge base in Anatomy, but at times it seems like anatomy knowledge is hurting me even more since I start to think about structures and their anatomical function.

Is there a good, easy to read OMM book out there? Or how did you guys prepare for your OMM exams? Watching lectures and reviewing notes have not been successful.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm currently doing great in all my basic medical sciences and doctoring classes, but I'm struggling hardcore in my osteopathic manipulative medicine class. When it comes to our practicals, I can do all the techniques just fine, but conceptually, none of it makes sense to me. I've got a pretty extensive knowledge base in Anatomy, but at times it seems like anatomy knowledge is hurting me even more since I start to think about structures and their anatomical function.

Is there a good, easy to read OMM book out there? Or how did you guys prepare for your OMM exams? Watching lectures and reviewing notes have not been successful.

Haha, they are going to drop some of those questions.

Haha, they are going to drop some of those questions.

If I only had to learn these for classes, I'd be w/e, but it being on COMLEX scares me hahaha. Better to tackle this problem I'm having now than later!

Members don't see this ad :)
It only gets worse, ie cranial. When it comes time to boards it takes a a day or two to learn everything you need to know. Fake it till you make it, there's no evidence behind OMM.

Reactions: 8 users
It only gets worse, ie cranial. When it comes time to boards it takes a a day or two to learn everything you need to know. Fake it till you make it, there's no evidence behind OMM.

Lol current concern is: if OMM is the only class I fail, would my school kick me out:dead:.

Lol current concern is: if OMM is the only class I fail, would my school kick me out:dead:.

I would try to avoid finding out.

Honestly OS isn't an awful subject. But it's one that you'll do better in by either not thinking about it conceptually or by just learning how to do it adequately in real life as a method of studying it.

Reactions: 1 user
I would try to avoid finding out.

Honestly OS isn't an awful subject. But it's one that you'll do better in by either not thinking about it conceptually or by just learning how to do it adequately in real life as a method of studying it.

So essentially just rogue memorize the movement associated with the dysfunction? Usually I'd say the hands on method works great for me, but in this case I'm having a hard time translating the motion of the techniques to their lecture based vignettes.

Sacrifice a lamb to AT Still, you shall see an improvement in your grade

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Same boat as you dude. Honored cardio, GI, Biochem, but getting C's in OMM.

Green savarese book has saved me.

Just looked at it on Amazon and threw in the coin. Hopefully it'll do me as much good as it did for you. I'll admit, before I started med school, I was pretty excited about OMM thinking it'd give me some great tools for non-medication treatment. Some of the stuff like muscle energy and myofascial I like just because they feel good even if just temporarily, but I can't say my mind jumps to OMM for treating things like "acute chest pain." I don't know, hopefully after giving this book a good read, it'll explain things a little bit better to me. Thanks for the input!

Just looked at it on Amazon and threw in the coin. Hopefully it'll do me as much good as it did for you. I'll admit, before I started med school, I was pretty excited about OMM thinking it'd give me some great tools for non-medication treatment. Some of the stuff like muscle energy and myofascial I like just because they feel good even if just temporarily, but I can't say my mind jumps to OMM for treating things like "acute chest pain." I don't know, hopefully after giving this book a good read, it'll explain things a little bit better to me. Thanks for the input!

You'll need Savarese for COMLEX anyway. It's essentially the First Aid version of OPP. As for your OPP grade, there isn't a grade that anyone could care less about. Just make sure you pass then cram it for level one.

Reactions: 1 users
Green savarese book has saved me.

I see you already bought it anyway, but I wholeheartedly endorse this recommendation. Should be useful for first year material, but you'd absolutely use it for all three levels of COMLEX anyway, so it's worth whatever you paid for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just pretend it is like magical karate that you can only learn through repetition and chanting the right words.
The repetition is actually doing the techniques, the magic words are the probably wrong theory of why it works.

The funny part is I think some types of it actually does work and will use it, but that there simply isn't enough research going on. But a lot of stuff will be dumped when I'm in practice someday for sure. For now, I just practice my magical karate until I can recite it in my sleep.

Savarese, practice, and maybe consulting with your OMT profs.

I know there are some profs that understand OMT from a biomechanical standpoint who can actually convey why certain aspects of OMT make it work instead of just treating it like a bucket of woo. Like @cryhavoc said, the difficult thing is there's very little quality research done, especially outside of JAOA. So, most evidence is anecdotal. That being said, I know a couple profs at my school (neurologist [MD] included) are doing studies on OMT from a neurological standpoint to try and contribute to the literature.

In short, there is a conceptual basis of OMT and it can be studied as such, but how you learn it depends on how your profs perceive it.

OP: you'll get used to it. just fake it till you make it. watch the videos, look over some lectures. eventually things just to start merging together (usually mid-second year).

jus chill, b :hungry:

Just pretend it is like magical karate that you can only learn through repetition and chanting the right words.
The repetition is actually doing the techniques, the magic words are the probably wrong theory of why it works.

The funny part is I think some types of it actually does work and will use it, but that there simply isn't enough research going on. But a lot of stuff will be dumped when I'm in practice someday for sure. For now, I just practice my magical karate until I can recite it in my sleep.

"So what's a DO?"
"It's a doctor that also knows magical karate."

"So what's a DO?"
"It's a doctor that also knows magical karate."
First rule of magical karate, only talk about magical karate to other karate students trying to learn the ways of the force.

Jokes aside, I just mention the "mind, body" focus and add "soul" if the person I'm talking to is religious. And then I mention we're more open to using hands as an additional tool in our tool box techniques to diagnose illness and relieve pain.

As much as I joke about OMT being like using the "force", some of the techniques do relieve pain and are quick and easy, I am proud for what a lot of DO docs stood for before the MD docs jumped on the holistic medicine bandwagon.

Last edited:
So essentially just rogue memorize the movement associated with the dysfunction? Usually I'd say the hands on method works great for me, but in this case I'm having a hard time translating the motion of the techniques to their lecture based vignettes.

You're not doing something wrong. Memorize it and move on. Practically there are many techniques that I have taken and used successfully from OMM. The disconnect comes when someone tries to tell me everyone in the world has pain at this one spot and this is the only way to make it go away. It could be a starting point, but if it's something you actually like and become so l in, it could be great for some patients.

Again though, a lot of what's taught doesn't fit or translate well into practice, and looking into the history is based on very flimsy assumptions certain individuals made that they basically built whole methodologies around. You know the muscle. You know how to approximate the origin and insertion, you know how to engage a muscle or its reciprocal. You don't need to be put into a box with it, just because 30-50 years ago someone made some big claims.

For the course, memorize what you need to, mime it, and don't think too much about it. Cranial in my opinion doesn't make any sense and if it does exist (big if) then I doubt it's what they think it is and I'm pretty sure it's completely reversed. The only way to learn that stuff is to memorize, ignore logic, and if anything study "less".

Its money well spent. You'll use it throughout med school. Mainly (i.e. only) for cramming for exams and boards.

First rule of magical karate, only talk about magical karate to other karate students trying to learn the ways of the force.

Jokes aside, I just mention the "mind, body" focus and add "soul" if the person I'm talking to is religious. And then I mention we're more open to using hands as an additional tool in our tool box techniques to diagnose illness and relieve pain.

As much as I joke about OMT being like using the "force", some of the techniques do relieve pain and are quick and easy, I am proud for what a lot of DO docs stood for before the MD docs jumped on the holistic medicine bandwagon.
There is no holistic bandwagon and there is no difference in the empathy/treat the Pt not the symptoms you would get from an allopathic or osteopathic education. It's a silly marketing campaign to find something other than osteopathy that makes us different.

I've thought about what I would say if residency PDs asked me why I decided to go DO rather than MD. From what I've read over in our clinical forums, it's becoming a less common thing, but it occasionally comes up. I figured if I were to be completely honest to my PDs, I'd say that it was because I originally did believe that OMM was beneficial in the management of at least MSK related pain for patients. I think I'd also tell them though that I'm just not sold on a lot of it since there's just not a whole lot of research into its long term efficacy, which I do think is a little strange since as a profession we're constantly harping on evidence based medicine. In some ways OMM reminds me of when Tamiflu was first available - it seemed like a good and viable idea, at least until Cochrane reviews showed it really had no benefit and was just a waste of money in the general population.

There is no holistic bandwagon and there is no difference in the empathy/treat the Pt not the symptoms you would get from an allopathic or osteopathic education. It's a silly marketing campaign to find something other than osteopathy that makes us different.
Doctor Still literally invented osteopathic medicine because MD's were poisoning people to death with ineffective methods. He was a pioneer in holistic medicine. When you do something first, you get credit.

Patients love the idea of holistic medicine and hospital administrators and whatnot caught on and now everyone does it. So it really is like jumping on a bandwagon.

Doctor Still literally invented osteopathic medicine because MD's were poisoning people to death with ineffective methods. He was a pioneer in holistic medicine. When you do something first, you get credit.

Patients love the idea of holistic medicine and hospital administrators and whatnot caught on and now everyone does it. So it really is like jumping on a bandwagon.
Osteopathic medicine doesn't exist anymore. "Holistic" medicine is also a gimmick. 99% of us will punt that crap the moment level 3 is over.

Last edited:
I've thought about what I would say if residency PDs asked me why I decided to go DO rather than MD. From what I've read over in our clinical forums, it's becoming a less common thing, but it occasionally comes up. I figured if I were to be completely honest to my PDs, I'd say that it was because I originally did believe that OMM was beneficial in the management of at least MSK related pain for patients. I think I'd also tell them though that I'm just not sold on a lot of it since there's just not a whole lot of research into its long term efficacy, which I do think is a little strange since as a profession we're constantly harping on evidence based medicine. In some ways OMM reminds me of when Tamiflu was first available - it seemed like a good and viable idea, at least until Cochrane reviews showed it really had no benefit and was just a waste of money in the general population.
It's not rocket science, there has purposely been no research. Too many pockets are lined.

Osteopathic medicine doesn't exist anymore. "Holistic" medicine is also a gimmick. 99% of us will punt that crap the moment level 3 is over.

Cool. I won't be though. If listening to a few symptoms and dishing out pills is all the job needs, it won't be long until we're obsolete and a trained technician on a computer is doing our jobs for us. I'm actually interested in being a good healer.

Cool. I won't be though. If listening to a few symptoms and dishing out pills is all the job needs, it won't be long until we're obsolete and a trained technician on a computer is doing our jobs for us. I'm actually interested in being a good healer.
Lol. Hope the kool aid tastes good my man.

Enjoy your spot on pseudoscience island. Don't forget to move those cranial bones and rub someone's shoulder when their retina hurts.

Any word on what the new COMLEX will actually look like?

The JAOA article in the current issue has some of the new guidelines, with more made public later this yr on Nbome's website. Comlex 3 changes first by becoming a 2 day exam, then the 1, 2ce and 2pe in 2019.

Lol. And here we have found one of the handful of *****s who drink the kool aid each year.

Enjoy your spot on pseudoscience island. Don't forget to move those cranial bones and rub someone's shoulder when their retina hurts.

Holistic medicine doesn't just mean being open to alternative therapies. It also means addressing the social, psychological, and spiritual concerns of your patient. If you act so flippantly toward it, your arrogance will result in lower patient compliance at the very least. And there is scores of research on how social and psychological support increases the likelihood of a patient surviving an illness and having better outcomes. You could research how environmental changes can help people recover more quickly from a stroke or a traumatic brain injury for one of dozens, if not hundreds of examples.

Don't be so close-minded. Your attitude is not doing patients any favors and as a healer, your number one obligation is your patients, not your ego.

Holistic medicine doesn't just mean being open to alternative therapies. It also means addressing the social, psychological, and spiritual concerns of your patient. If you act so flippantly toward it, your arrogance will result in lower patient compliance at the very least. And there is scores of research on how social and psychological support increases the likelihood of a patient surviving an illness and having better outcomes. You could research how environmental changes can help people recover more quickly from a stroke or a traumatic brain injury for one of dozens, if not hundreds of examples.

Don't be so close-minded. Your attitude is not doing patients any favors and as a healer, your number one obligation is your patients, not your ego.
Solid work extrapolating information that never existed in the first place. You know not of which you speak. Social and psychological support has 0 to do with "osteopathic medicine". It's called being a good doctor. Also, I wasn't talking about that in the first place (see first sentence in this response). Nice job with your assumptions of things to which I never said.

^Again, wtf are you talking about? Arrogance towards knowing cranial bones don't move? Are you ****ing smoking a crack pipe over there?

^ round 2: says the guy who wants to bleed people of money to line his pockets for things which do not have any evidence behind them. O, I forgot that paper from 1911... Right.

It's as if you didn't even read anything of what I wrote, dude.

You said holistic medicine was a gimmick.

The definition of holistic medicine includes social and psychological support. Which you said makes someone a good doctor.

You're contradicting yourself.

You said holistic medicine was a gimmick.

The definition of holistic medicine includes social and psychological support. Which you said makes someone a good doctor.

You're contradicting yourself.
The wording is a gimmick, homie. There is no such thing as "holistic" medicine, it's called being a good physician: be it MD, DO, MBBS, etc. How are you not following? There's no contradiction there, you just aren't using that big ole' neuro brain of yours.

The wording is a gimmick, homie. There is no such thing as "holistic" medicine, it's called being a good physician: be it MD, DO, MBBS, etc. How are you not following? There's no contradiction there, you just aren't using that big ole' neuro brain of yours.

You seem to think your version of being a good doctor always existed. It didn't. It was only because certain doctors went a more patient-oriented and holistic route that the "good doctor" you know today exists and is the common model. It isn't a gimmick, it is history. Not all, but a lot of osteopathic techniques need further research. Some are dumb, some really do relieve pain.

But the philosophy behind it, that treatment involves the body, mind and spirit, was not the common practice at the time and is today. You shouldn't be so dismissive to the significance of that and think it was always a thing. It wasn't. There were a lot of arrogant people in medicine who did a lot of harm to their patients because they weren't open to new ideas or ways of approaching problems. Ways they thought silly or beneath them.

Last edited:

I legit pondered for a minute if you were trolling. Apparently not. A.T. Still invented osteopathic manipulation, not how to treat a patient as a human being. If you actually believe that, then you're going to have a rough time working with your MD colleagues in a few years.

I legit pondered for a minute if you were trolling. Apparently not. A.T. Still invented osteopathic manipulation, not how to treat a patient as a human being. If you actually believe that, then you're going to have a rough time working with your MD colleagues in a few years.

I never said he "invented it". I'm saying it was part of a trend in medicine to try holistic approaches, which was helpful to creating the type of good doctor you see today. I dislike when people are so quick to judge Still when his contemporaries were prescribing arsenic and opium to their patients. The philosophy isn't groundbreaking today in retrospect but it was certainly unique back then.

Osteopathic medicine is a huge chunk of the history of holistic medicine. Which inspired public interest and governmental funding into research on integrative medicine.

Which lead to the "good doctor" you see today. I actually studied the history of medicine in college quite extensively. And I love philosophy as a hobby and also studied it. I have a fairly good idea of the trends and way medicine has changed both historically and philosophically in the last 4000 years. I also learned about the ways diseases were treated and various techniques through the ages. And I am certain that Still's idea was one of many in the last century that contributed to the trends and changes in medicine we started to see around the 1970's.

Last edited:
Different people have a different concept of what holistic means. Many equate "holistic" as a cloak for pseudoscientific practices trying to infiltrate and "complement" medicine that is backed in evidence, others see it as a word describing a competent compassionate doctor. ChiTown sees nothing alternative about the biopsychosocial model because it's something that all physicians are trained in. It's like arguing if yoga is alternative medicine, you might argue it is, while a good doctor would call it exercise and relaxation.

You seem to think your version of being a good doctor always existed. It didn't. It was only because certain doctors went a more patient-oriented and holistic route that the "good doctor" you know today exists and is the common model.
Any citation here?

So I didn't want to get into this conversation, but historically Still did come at a time when the type of physicians we are training to be now didn't exist. There were some good practitioners, but there was clear favoritism towards a purely medical/symptomatic and less, for lack of a better word, holistic approach to medicine. That changed over the last century, and current physicians (all of them) are trained to be holistic and focus on disease prevention (another thing that Still was a big proponent of).

And just to be clear, Still was not some all knowing guy who was the "first" to push many of these ideas. They at least go back as far as Galen, many of which probably back to the temple of Asclepius and were likely even present to some degree in ancient Egypt and China. In any case, just like anything trends shifted and Still came about at a time where traditional medicine was heroic and rarely focused on prevention let alone the biopsychosocial model. It's why in the same century we had all that alternative medicine, because there was a population of strong proponents of something (anything?) perceived as better.

Still was also not a genius and constant innovator. He dogmatically rejected pharmacology without regard for improved efficacy and pharmacologic advancement that occurred within his lifetime. It was only his students that later adopted pharmacology and set the groundwork for making osteopathic medicine what it is today.

A pioneer perhaps, but certainly not the first to suggest it.

I'd say that's true now, but you honestly don't have to go that far back to find a time when traditional medicine rarely cared about the social and psychological states of patients, especially in the context of paternalistic medicine. I mean look at Hunter "Patch" Adams. He wouldn't have been considered an innovator if the mood of patients was a priority in traditional medicine, and that was just 50 yrs ago.

I'd also competently agree that being holistic is exactly what good doctors do. I'm glad that the current medicine promotes prevention and psychosocial well-being. DOs may have been some of many that emphasized it early in the US (it was already emphasized in many other countries and cultures), but we are certainly not unique anymore in that regard.

Anyway, you're both right. Not a huge deal, let's focus on how to pass to OPP.

Reactions: 3 users
OMM: fake it till you make it.

Also, green Savarese.

If it's just boards you're worried about....know these cold. Thats 75-80% of the OMT youll see on there

Reactions: 2 users
OMM is my least favorite class, and I refuse to study for it.

It's also consistently my highest grades.

My tactic is on tests I go with whatever sounds like the stupidest plausible answer.

Good luck.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

What other posters have said...I'm finishing up 2nd year in a few weeks...and I can't tell you the number of my classmates who have no idea what they're doing It's all about faking it til you make it. I'm a little worried for boards, but everyone says you can learn it in a few days, so thats what Im banking on.

LOL cause you're not buying into the quackery. I have friend at DO school and he said during practicals he just fakes it till he makes it---and the instructors buy it! Lmao so just act confident and go with it...cause the stuff is majority BS so if you really try to understand something that isn't backed by scientific evidence you're gonna have a bad time. It's like trying to understand the physiology of a unicorn...just go with it and get out. 95% of DO's never use OMM in their practice.

LOL cause you're not buying into the quackery. I have friend at DO school and he said during practicals he just fakes it till he makes it---and the instructors buy it! Lmao so just act confident and go with it...cause the stuff is majority BS so if you really try to understand something that isn't backed by scientific evidence you're gonna have a bad time. It's like trying to understand the physiology of a unicorn...just go with it and get out. 95% of DO's never use OMM in their practice.

I think the study that stat is from actually states that 95% of DOs don't use OMM in practice on 50% or more of their patients. The stat of those that don't use it at all is like 8x%. Not sure exactly what it was but I'm pretty sure x > 2.

Must be nice at your friend's school. You won't pull that off in my school. The instructors actually check your diagnosis and this is all during your timed run!

I get your frustration with the course, but I actually can't relate to the problem you're facing in regards to the anatomy. While I understand the evidence for many techniques ranges from limited to non-existant, the one thing I've been somewhat pleasantly surprised about is that they are actually rational treatments that have explanations based on an understanding of anatomy and physiology. Assuming the proposed mechanism of a given somatic dysfunction is correct, the technique used to treat it should work rationally speaking. The reason why it isn't as effective as they hype it up to be is probably because theory behind the given somatic dysfunction is either incorrect, or the dysfunction isn't a dysfunction at all.

I get your frustration with the course, but I actually can't relate to the problem you're facing in regards to the anatomy. While I understand the evidence for many techniques ranges from limited to non-existant, the one thing I've been somewhat pleasantly surprised about is that they are actually rational treatments that have explanations based on an understanding of anatomy and physiology. Assuming the proposed mechanism of a given somatic dysfunction is correct, the technique used to treat it should work rationally speaking. The reason why it isn't as effective as they hype it up to be is probably because theory behind the given somatic dysfunction is either incorrect, or the dysfunction isn't a dysfunction at all.

Giving an example, something like the sternum is the location of the chapman's point for the pylorus. What's the rationale behind that? If we're talking some sort of nerve related cause, then dermatome wise I'd guess T6 or T7 and I would find it along some portion of that dermatomal segment. For somatic dysfunctions, why is the counterstrain point for a posterior C4 point extended, rotated away, sidebent away, but posterior C3 is flexed, rotated away, sidebent away? If you told me "Oh, it's because C3 articulates with the axis and the muscles attachments are different." But then why is a posterior C2 the same as a posterior C4. Complete head scratcher to me.

That or the individual skill of the practitioner is not as optimal as desired