Doing Clinical Rotations in a different city

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i read so many times here on this forum, if u have any residecny program of ur choice u cud do a rotation there and get the experience/feel.

My question is, can i spend the whole of 4th year doing clinical rotations in different hospitals in different cities so to decide where i wanna do my residency or i have to be there in the same city where my university is located.

Members don't see this ad.

Look at your school's fourth year curriculum or you can even call them up...

Hey i read so many times here on this forum, if u have any residecny program of ur choice u cud do a rotation there and get the experience/feel.

My question is, can i spend the whole of 4th year doing clinical rotations in different hospitals in different cities so to decide where i wanna do my residency or i have to be there in the same city where my university is located.

At Scholl you spend the last half of your third year rotating in shorter interval at several different hospitals. Then your fourth year you spend externship just to feel out what residency programs you would like to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)

Typically, you're supposed to complete a minimum of five (5) 1-month externships at your fourth year. However, some schools will allow you the option to spend an extra month or two - so check with your school. I know at OCPM, we're given a month optional where you can extern or take time off...

At DMU you spend your 3rd year rotating with different physicians and wherever they go, locations consist of hospitals, clinics and the University clinic all in Iowa. Then you spend your entire 4th year rotating at different residencies each month. You must however choose a core rotation that is 4 months long. The core rotation is set up at a residency program of your choice.

At Scholl you spend the last half of your third year rotating in shorter interval at several different hospitals. Then your fourth year you spend externship just to feel out what residency programs you would like to attend.

Since, i will be attending Scholl, lets focus on Scholl. So u mean i cud do my externship in Cali or wisconsin or hawai. whereever i wanna do my residency or i have to be limited in chicago area. And one more question, so basically in 4th year u just go the hospital. u dont go to the university campus? thats cool. ha ha ha cool for cool_vkb.

At Scholl, you have your last year and a half to do rotations wherever you want in the country that allows you. So, you can do up to 7- 1 month rotations(externships) anywhere, the rest of the year and a half are at core hospital rotations in Chicago city hospitals.

Since, i will be attending Scholl, lets focus on Scholl. So u mean i cud do my externship in Cali or wisconsin or hawai. whereever i wanna do my residency or i have to be limited in chicago area. And one more question, so basically in 4th year u just go the hospital. u dont go to the university campus? thats cool. ha ha ha cool for cool_vkb.[/QUOTE

There are no residencies in Hawaii that I've seen. There are only 2 in Wisconsin, and Cali is going to be competitive because a lot of people want to do residency there.

At Scholl you get (7)-1 month externships to do wherever it is possible in any state that offers in your 2cd semester-3rd year and all of 4th year. The rest of the month long rotations are in Chicagoland hospitals for that year and a half. Yes, 4th year you don't go to campus, unless your doing the Radiology rotation. It's somewhat true that there are a lot of people wanted to extern or do residencies in Cali. But, you must not forget that Cali also has the most number of residencies in any state for podiatry. Also, there are only 2 podi med schools west of Iowa, of which graduate very little students. Arizona, since it's new maybe 10-15 students/yr. And the Cali school about 35 each year. Just go to www.aacpm.org and then under the CASPR/CRIP section you can view all them from each state.