Does your vehicle impact how your viewed by peers/patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure it is as much taste as it is generational. Young people don't buy diamonds. They put off getting a drivers license. They criticize materialism. No one wears a watch because they always have a cell phone in their face with the time on it. If they want a nice car they will use Uber Black instead of Uber.

Members don't see this ad.

There is more to it than that though. The main reason people drive high end cars is NOT to flex. High end cars have a nicer and smoother ride, their interiors are warm, inviting, luxurious and sophisticated, and their aesthetics are superior. The difference between a Mercedes and a Lexus is almost as great as that between Lexus and Ford. To me it comes down to a matter of taste. I don't think psychiatrists in general have the same refined tastes as many doctors, or at least doctors of 30+ years ago. This goes for taste in art, vehicles, watches, drinks, food, etc.

Uh huh. Righttttt

luxury goods primary purpose is to showcase wealth and serve as a status symbol. The trade off in terms of dollars spent vs actual utility or extra comfort or whatever attained is generally not linear. They might be more comfortable or have more convenience features or whatever but typically you can also pick up the majority of these features in a higher trim mass market car for a much better price. Hell sometimes mass market cars beat out luxury ones for features. My entry level Honda Accord has a backup camera but my friends BMW 5 series (from the same model year) doesn’t. I don’t have a leather interior though ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Uh huh. Righttttt

luxury goods primary purpose is to showcase wealth and serve as a status symbol. The trade off in terms of dollars spent vs actual utility or extra comfort or whatever attained is generally not linear. They might be more comfortable or have more convenience features or whatever but typically you can also pick up the majority of these features in a higher trim mass market car for a much better price. Hell sometimes mass market cars beat out luxury ones for features. My entry level Honda Accord has a backup camera but my friends BMW 5 series (from the same model year) doesn’t. I don’t have a leather interior though ;)
Your response illustrates my point.
If I say that Mozart represents the pinnacle of human musical ability and you say that to the contrary, Ariana Grande does, then neither of us can prove we are right and it’s an issue of taste at that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is more to it than that though. The main reason people drive high end cars is NOT to flex. High end cars have a nicer and smoother ride, their interiors are warm, inviting, luxurious and sophisticated, and their aesthetics are superior. The difference between a Mercedes and a Lexus is almost as great as that between Lexus and Ford. To me it comes down to a matter of taste. I don't think psychiatrists in general have the same refined tastes as many doctors, or at least doctors of 30+ years ago. This goes for taste in art, vehicles, watches, drinks, food, etc.

When you’re done, mind passing the grey poupon?

Reactions: 3 users
Your response illustrates my point.
If I say that Mozart represents the pinnacle of human musical ability and you say that to the contrary, Ariana Grande does, then neither of us can prove we are right and it’s an issue of taste at that point.

except your original post was not that its a matter of taste but that the “main reason people drive high end cars is NOT to flex”. Which isn’t true. People buy luxury items as status symbols not because they’re so much appreciably better or more functional than non luxury items. Otherwise what’s the point of a luxury brand in the first place...just build better items within your non luxury brand.

I know someone for whom it took a second analysis to make him realize that his Corvette Sting Ray was not actually compensating for his self perceived deficits; if you know what I mean. ;) I think psychiatrists don't care about using their transportation to make a statement.
After the analysis did he trade it in for a VW Beetle, or a Mini?

why is that the case do we think

Probably a few reasons:
Life can be viewed through an economic term - opportunity cost. Psychiatrists place low value on luxury items. I’ve even had a psychiatrist that I’ve met question the value of me wearing something with a college emblem as the emblem guarantees a mark-up in price to an equivalent piece of clothing without the emblem.

Psychiatrists are more likely to work PT. We value time more. You can’t keep up with the cardiologists when you work 20 hours/week.

After the analysis did he trade it in for a VW Beetle, or a Mini?
His analyst might have been a little too successful.

Image result for girly cars

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

I do it primarily for safety thus driving SUV's exclusively since I drive quite a bit for work related things. Hands down I would drive an M3/M4 any day over any SUV but in a decade I'll do whatever i want.

Last edited:
This is the most American thread i have ever read ;).

With kind regards from a European Doctor.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I have just one question for you:

Have you driven a Ford lately?

I'm not sure it is as much taste as it is generational. Young people don't buy diamonds. They put off getting a drivers license. They criticize materialism. No one wears a watch because they always have a cell phone in their face with the time on it. If they want a nice car they will use Uber Black instead of Uber.

I have seen it proposed that it's not the case that Millennials are any less interested in material goods per se than any other generation. They're just poorer. :(

Reactions: 2 users
This is the most American thread i have ever read ;).

With kind regards from a European Doctor.
This is a great litmus test. Show of hands, who thinks this was a complement and who thinks it was a criticism? I'm voting for the latter, but nothing is black and white. Great post Leibniz999 ! :corny:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great litmus test. Show of hands, who thinks this was a complement and who thinks it was a criticism? I'm voting for the latter, but nothing is black and white. Great post Leibniz999 ! :corny:
I think it's the most doctor-thread ever (although it's not nearly as bad as the anesthesiology forum).

To answer your question, Leibniz999's commentary does complement the rest of the thread well, and it is also a criticism.

Semantics! Spelling! So fun.

I'm a millenial and a psychiatrist.

I still want a Beamer. At the same time, most of my clothing is thrifted or purchased at a deep discount and I cook all my own meals - and no, none of it is because I'm saving up for that Beamer.

One of my residency classmates keeps moonlighting to pay for their 300-person wedding on top of loans, but it never occurred to them to move into a less bourgeois apartment and unsubscribe from a custom clothing delivery service. Another of our classmates does not moonlight, but farms in their backyard. They enjoy it, too, and save a ton of money. Another co-resident is married to an attending and just bought an Audi SUV.

As fun as it may be to draw sweeping conclusions, everyone is different.

Last edited:
Well looks like I'll keep driving a non luxury car. I got denied for a loan through the dealer and refuse to pay high interest for a private bank..
Staff wanting a raise issues solved as my car may actually be downgraded to a camry/civic. Feels crappy to get a denial.

Well looks like I'll keep driving a non luxury car. I got denied for a loan through the dealer and refuse to pay high interest for a private bank..
Staff wanting a raise issues solved as my car may actually be downgraded to a camry/civic. Feels crappy to get a denial.

why did you get denied..

why did you get denied..

yeah wtf is your credit score horrible or you already have a million dollars in loans or something? I can think of very few instances in which any bank or dealer would deny a loan for an attending....there’s nurses and techs driving luxury cars around on way less than your salary.

also why are you only wanting finance through the dealer? They typically don’t have the best interest rates anyway. Local credit unions typically have the lowest, usually followed by your bank since you already bank with them, followed by whatever interest rate comparison thing you use online to compare rates at big loan underwriters/banks. Have you even looked hard outside of the dealer?

Reactions: 3 users
yeah wtf is your credit score horrible or you already have a million dollars in loans or something? I can think of very few instances in which any bank or dealer would deny a loan for an attending....there’s nurses and techs driving luxury cars around on way less than your salary.

also why are you only wanting finance through the dealer? They typically don’t have the best interest rates anyway. Local credit unions typically have the lowest, usually followed by your bank since you already bank with them, followed by whatever interest rate comparison thing you use online to compare rates at big loan underwriters/banks. Have you even looked hard outside of the dealer?

I didn't look hard outside the dealer as the 2.9% sounded better than what I was seeing when my bank quoted me over 5%.

My transunion score last month was 766. I think that is reasonable.

1: Found out a large bank I took a loan for medical equipment from in the past 12 months FORGOT to report any payments I have been making as they are all autopay which seriously is bad luck to say the least. I am truly livid about this but it should be corrected shortly.

2) my credit card balance is always 0.

I am too cheap to pay in cash plus due to the business deductions and credit building potential it was advised to me to seek the finance route but this really shouldn't have happened in the first place. This really sucks and is embarrassing to say the least.

To be fair first world problems. My siblings found this hilarious since I am notoriously an over saver who took great time and self convincing to even attempt to make this expenditure only to have this happen. Like i said it was more to do with safety i dont even care abt the car just the process has taught me a lot abt credit, car buying experience, and how terrible a new car loses its value u wud have to be unaware how bad a financial decision to buy a brand new car perhaps with the exception of a brand new previous model year camry/accord expecting to keep it a decade while hitting 150k.

Last edited:
I didn't look hard outside the dealer as the 2.9% sounded better than what I was seeing when my bank quoted me over 5%.

My transunion score last month was 766. I think that is reasonable.

1: Found out a large bank I took a loan for medical equipment from in the past 12 months FORGOT to report any payments I have been making as they are all autopay which seriously is bad luck to say the least. I am truly livid about this but it should be corrected shortly.

2) my credit card balance is always 0.

I am too cheap to pay in cash plus due to the business deductions and credit building potential it was advised to me to seek the finance route but this really shouldn't have happened in the first place. This really sucks and is embarrassing to say the least.

To be fair first world problems. My siblings found this hilarious since I am notoriously an over saver who took great time and self convincing to even attempt to make this expenditure only to have this happen. Like i said it was more to do with safety i dont even care abt the car just the process has taught me a lot abt credit, car buying experience, and how terrible a new car loses its value u wud have to be unaware how bad a financial decision to buy a brand new car perhaps with the exception of a brand new previous model year camry/accord expecting to keep it a decade while hitting 150k.

Tax deductions should be the same regardless of how you pay. I generally pay cash. While I could earn 7% in the market over 3% in interest payments, it increases my outstanding debt. Debt to income ratio can effect your ability to purchase real estate. I’m generally always looking for good real estate, and the difference of 4% on 25-30k over 3-5 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things, especially if I’m able to pick up a good investment. If you you buying $40k+ vehicle, a few interest points and financing should be of small worries as it’s a luxury splurge anyway. Pay it off early when you get tired of paying 5% which is still less than you are earning in the market.

I have seen it proposed that it's not the case that Millennials are any less interested in material goods per se than any other generation. They're just poorer. :(

There was a really cool podcast on Hidden Brain a few years back about how the millennial elites are what is now called the "aspirational class". tl;dr instead of gaudy materialism things such as luxury watches and cars, it's now all about shopping at whole foods, yoga and spin classes, vacations and purchasing life experiences.

One should only lease european luxury vehicles and give them back after 3 years.

One should only lease european luxury vehicles and give them back after 3 years.
That's assuming you own your own practice and can deduct part of this. Salaried psychiatrists will be buying your lease turn ins used. Actually, lightly used European luxury vehicles hold their value too well. Cadillac or Lincoln's value power dive much better. If those will never be your image, ironically a lot of young people or driving Buicks, which I find ironic since Buicks were for old people when I was young. They do look a lot better now.

That's assuming you own your own practice and can deduct part of this. Salaried psychiatrists will be buying your lease turn ins used. Actually, lightly used European luxury vehicles hold their value too well.
How much gross per month should someone earn to have a $1200 car payment? Most financial experts say to not spend over 10% gross monthly income on a car note. I’m confused as to what salaried psychiatrist couldn’t afford that.

How much gross per month should someone earn to have a $1200 car payment? Most financial experts say to not spend over 10% gross monthly income on a car note. I’m confused as to what salaried psychiatrist couldn’t afford that.

there’s no number for any of these questions..just do what you’re comfortable with and what makes you happy..if you like cars go enjoy that new S550 bro you deserve it

I don't think anyone who earns what we do should finance anything other than a house. What we can afford verses what we want to afford is further apart for me than it is for you. It is just transportation to a lot of people. Like psychapp121 says, "if it makes you happy". Spending money makes me more unhappy than a fancy ride could ever compensate for. It's just me, priorities are very personal, but leasing vehicles never pencils out unless it can be a deduction. It is cheaper than buying and selling a new car every 3 years if that is the goal, but that is about it.

Reactions: 4 users
That's assuming you own your own practice and can deduct part of this. Salaried psychiatrists will be buying your lease turn ins used. Actually, lightly used European luxury vehicles hold their value too well. Cadillac or Lincoln's value power dive much better. If those will never be your image, ironically a lot of young people or driving Buicks, which I find ironic since Buicks were for old people when I was young. They do look a lot better now.
Most German luxury cars are worth about 60% of their original MSRP after 3 years and 30k miles. Heck, even 1 year and 10k is like a 20%-30% depreciation. And that's just while the cars are still of the same model generation as the new ones. Once a new model comes out, the prior version all drop in price.
I think that general financial recommendations apply less to physicians. Early career, there's usually sizable educational debt to be repaid. Throughout the career, savings need to exceed what's usually recommended due to the combination of increased lifetime tax burden and decreased time for saving + compound interest.

Things are also much more difficult if you're considering a single income family and kids. I'm in the same boat where I'm looking at what I can spend next year as a single person. Things would be very different if I needed space, food, vacations, etc. for 4, cars for 2, and all the incidental stuff that comes along with children.

General financial recommendations absolutely apply to physicians. I personally spend significantly less than 10% of my gross monthly income on my car and it would be very hard to find a financial expert who would say that is irresponsible or inadvisable. Again, it mostly comes down to level of taste and preference. My guess is that many physicians who view $50-70k for a car as "too expensive" probably grew up lower to middle middle class (nothing wrong with that, I did too.) It's just odd to me because even in residency, people noted that when all the residents got together it looked like a luxury car parking lot.

Buy however nice a car you want, but you should buy them lightly used and drive them into the ground. Brand new cars aren't brand new very long and you pay a lot for the privilege. I agree with the observation that residents tend to treat themselves to nice cars. They have been poor students for a long time and they often don't sink money into real estate because they plan on moving. I do scratch my head in wonder when I see them moonlighting a ton of grave yard shifts and driving a Porsche to get to work. I would rather sleep and drive a Toyota.

Reactions: 9 users
You don't have to go back too far in history for any German auto-maker to not want its history to be a selling point.
Not *that* part of the history.

Except now I can't get it out of my head and feel ethically conflicted.

Now I'm looking at Alfa Romeos instead and trying to like the grill with the awkward triangle. It's all your doing, lol.

Funny, the insignia looks like a rod of aesclepius.

Last edited:
Not *that* part of the history.

Except now I can't get it out of my head and feel ethically conflicted.

Now I'm looking at Alfa Romeos instead and trying to like the grill with the awkward triangle. It's all your doing, lol.

Funny, the insignia looks like a rod of aesclepius.

They say the trick to getting rid of an intrusive thought is to replace it with another one:

Leasing is the most expensive way to operate a car. Why do. You think the dealers push them so much?

Personally, I don’t believe in car payments. I feel its a trap to stay broker. Cars go down in value. . . . A lot. If I’m not willing to depart with the cash, then I’m not willing to buy/drive/depreciate that car.

I got plenty of friends who have one or three $500-$1500/month car payments/lease payments. No thanks.

They say the trick to getting rid of an intrusive thought is to replace it with another one:

Ok, but at least it doesn't share engineering DNA with the same planes that dropped bombs on my grandparents. Or does it?

Anyone know of any ethically sourced luxury cars?

Ok, but at least it doesn't share engineering DNA with the same planes that dropped bombs on my grandparents. Or does it?

Well, Ford was an anti-semite. He was anti a lot of things actually.

I mean there's Volvo. Sweden was more of a passive participant in helping the Nazis.

Maybe a Peuegeot to be safe?

I do hope you know I'm joking around. The taxis in Israel are Mercedes. People are over this stuff.

I mean there's Volvo. Sweden was more of a passive participant in helping the Nazis.

I do hope you know I'm joking around. The taxis in Israel are Mercedes. People are over this stuff.

Yeah, I know, lol. I was riffing off you, though there is a grain of truth to my ethics qualm. But hey, if Germany's whole foreign policy for the last 70 years has been "we're sorry," and if the Israelites can get over it enough to use Mercedes, I can too.

Last edited:

I was going to say "Rolls-Royce" on account of how they made engines for Allied warplanes during the Big One, but apparently modern Rolls-Royce vehicles are just a license slapped on vehicles manufactured by a division of BMW and have no relation to the historical company. Bentley is now a VW joint so same problem.

All most all cars are Frankensteined together from parts from multiple countries. The only exception may be Tesla.

I'm a fan of Volvos, but to be fair they were briefly bought out by Ford and are now owned by Geely, a Chinese company with some pretty questionable human rights policies and current atrocities. The main designs are still through the swedish headquarters though.

I'm a fan of Volvos, but to be fair they were briefly bought out by Ford and are now owned by Geely, a Chinese company with some pretty questionable human rights policies and current atrocities. The main designs are still through the swedish headquarters though.
Yeah I was surprised to find out that some are still made in Sweden. When they were bought out I assumed all production would go to China.

I can't drive, I have no money, and I'm not the splurging kind even if I had money, but with my Swedish heritage, I like to see Volvo do well. And I really do like their designs. I really liked the look of Saabs when they were being made, especially the Saab 900--probably because the one my family drove when I lived in Sweden. They still make fighter jets, so that's pretty cool.

Have you ever seen Saab's Gripen (Griffin)?

Uh huh. Righttttt

Oh my goodness you sound like you graduated from Hater University. Projecting much?

People who drive performance cars dont give a damn what you think about their wealth and status...thats why they cut you off in traffic and blow the horn when you drive slow...because they want to impress you...huh.

If youre a smart buyer and research your car you can get a great car 6-7 years old with low miles (ie supercar) it actually never depreciates...most of the Ferraris, Porsches, and Lambos you see are not new, theyre at least 5-8 years old and post depreciation hit..many you cant even find new in a dealers showroom, was at a dealer a month ago and there were ZERO new ferraris in the showroom and I learned thats the norm...and they are all better performing cars than average, "status" aside.

Oh my goodness you sound like you graduated from Hater University. Projecting much?

People who drive performance cars dont give a damn what you think about their wealth and status...thats why they cut you off in traffic and blow the horn when you drive slow...because they want to impress you...huh.

If youre a smart buyer and research your car you can get a great car 6-7 years old with low miles (ie supercar) it actually never depreciates...most of the Ferraris, Porsches, and Lambos you see are not new, theyre at least 5-8 years old and post depreciation hit..many you cant even find new in a dealers showroom, was at a dealer a month ago and there were ZERO new ferraris in the showroom and I learned thats the norm...and they are all better performing cars than average, "status" aside.

Of course it depreciates. My husband bought a lightly used Porsche in his carefree single days. Now it's 15+ years old and he literally cannot give it away. Anyone who could afford the expensive maintenance (runs fine but it's like $1K anytime it gets serviced) would rather pay for a newer model.

HaterU- Class of ‘88

You seem like you have trouble differentiatng between performance cars and luxury cars. Do you not realize there’s a difference between a Q7 and a R8? Hard to replicate an R8 in a non-performance brand. Same can’t be said for a Q7.

I also have no idea what that second paragraph means. First you say you should only buy 7 year old Ferrari because you think they never depreciate, then you tell a random story about how you couldn’t find any new ones?

Of course it depreciates. My husband bought a lightly used Porsche in his carefree single days. Now it's 15+ years old and he literally cannot give it away. Anyone who could afford the expensive maintenance (runs fine but it's like $1K anytime it gets serviced) would rather pay for a newer model.

Yeah but what kind of porsche is it? Im not saying a panamera is included in my comment....is it a 911 GTS?

HaterU- Class of ‘88

You seem like you have trouble differentiatng between performance cars and luxury cars. Do you not realize there’s a difference between a Q7 and a R8? Hard to replicate an R8 in a non-performance brand. Same can’t be said for a Q7.

I also have no idea what that second paragraph means. First you say you should only buy 7 year old Ferrari because you think they never depreciate, then you tell a random story about how you couldn’t find any new ones?

Who has trouble? Ive had an R8, a M6, M5, 3 AMG mercs and a masi.....so whats your idea of a performance car? And yes luxury cars are very different than regular cars too but they are an upgrade from a non-performance brand but not if you get a c-class, a non-m 3 series or any luxury car with less than a v8 in it. ...what cars have you owned? you seem like youre claiming some expertise

second paragraph, didnt know i had to break it down for you so here it goes....the depreciation hit is up front...depreciates for 4-5 years then stabilizes or increases for the right car

the "random" story about finding new ones is that you dont worry about depreciation from new to 5-7yo because its damn near impossible to buy a new one, so the obsession with drop in value is a Honda owners issue

This is petty, but does it bother anyone else that this thread has persisted? With such a goofy premise? No offense OP. I guess I’m sick of seeing it pop up on the board.

Who has trouble? Ive had an R8, a M6, M5, 3 AMG mercs and a masi.....so whats your idea of a performance car? And yes luxury cars are very different than regular cars too but they are an upgrade from a non-performance brand but not if you get a c-class, a non-m 3 series or any luxury car with less than a v8 in it. ...what cars have you owned? you seem like youre claiming some expertise

second paragraph, didnt know i had to break it down for you so here it goes....the depreciation hit is up front...depreciates for 4-5 years then stabilizes or increases for the right car

the "random" story about finding new ones is that you dont worry about depreciation from new to 5-7yo because its damn near impossible to buy a new one, so the obsession with drop in value is a Honda owners issue

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're really personally invested in this to get this worked up and revive a month old thread at this point. Are you actually trying to get into a car d*ck measuring contest with some random person online? You can head over to rennlist for that bud.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're really personally invested in this to get this worked up and revive a month old thread at this point. Are you actually trying to get into a car d*ck measuring contest with some random person online? You can head over to rennlist for that bud.

Oh its not that ;) its i just saw your weak rationalization for your sense of inferiority when you see someone in a car to assume they even care about you, let alone impress you....sorry I didnt see it a month ago...you could have easily ignored it if it was too old, but since you replied here we are

If youre ready to take the "high road" ...no pun intended, youre welcome to walk back your comments, not reply or head over to rennlist, chief. :smack::smack:

Oh its not that ;) its i just saw your weak rationalization for your sense of inferiority when you see someone in a car to assume they even care about you, let alone impress you....sorry I didnt see it a month ago...you could have easily ignored it if it was too old, but since you replied here we are

If youre ready to take the "high road" ...no pun intended, youre welcome to walk back your comments, not reply or head over to rennlist, chief. :smack::smack:

I’ve got 10$ betting you drive a dodge stratus

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I doubt type of car is going to matter all that much unless you're doing something like concierge or cash only with your primary patient population being part of the 1%. In that case I'd suspect that not driving an expensive car could hurt your bottom line.

It doesn't matter if you get a Mercedes or BMW for $30k or less, they're brands that the layperson will see as "elite". The issue also isn't if a "fancy" car is out of the price range of a doctor, it's that a more expensive car would result in contempt from employees or patients who will likely have a fraction of the income physicians do.

I see both sides of the discussion. As a long-time sports car enthusiast, I admit that most cars sub-$100k aren't particularly impressive. I personally view automobiles as fine art that typically depreciates from a resale market perspective. Regardless, I would drive a bland-colored, inexpensive, cookie-cutter vehicle to my practice for some of the above reasons regarding pts/staff. This is the time to be conservative. However, I see nothing wrong with owning a candy orange V12 to cruise with the wife on the weekends. Eh, people enjoy the fruits of their labor by splurging occasionally in different ways.