Does your school require summer tuition while on Internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychrunner

Reaction score
Hey friends,

My school recently started requiring summer term tuition payment since internship doesn't end by the end of our spring term (May). I am wondering about the ethics of the recent change. It requires students to take on more debt for an internship end date that is outside of our control and that is always going to be in the summer. In the past, students were given an incomplete and the grade was entered when internship was done; therefore, there was no additional cost because the course we register for while on internship was already paid for. What does your school do?

While we're at it, does your school allow you to walk in spring commencement while on internship?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey friends,

My school recently started requiring summer term tuition payment since internship doesn't end by the end of our spring term (May). I am wondering about the ethics of the recent change. It requires students to take on more debt for an internship end date that is outside of our control and that is always going to be in the summer. In the past, students were given an incomplete and the grade was entered when internship was done; therefore, there was no additional cost because the course we register for while on internship was already paid for. What does your school do?

While we're at it, does your school allow you to walk in spring commencement while on internship?

Thanks for your help!
My school makes us pay one credit during internship in the summer and we walk in the spring as long as our dissertation is defended before May.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer tuition - yes
Spring commencements - I don't think so (but maybe?). Students typically walk during the summer commencement

Summer tuition = yes, although we had say in how the credits were spread out over internship.

Yes, we could walk in the Spring if we defended prior to that.

Yes. I was particularly frustrated about this because my program only requires 3 internship credit hours to graduate. Because my internship started earlier (end of June) than most of my cohort's internships I ended up paying for 4 credit hours to cover the summer terms at the beginning AND the end. Most of my cohort only needed to pay for 3 because their programs didn't start until August.

And no, we do not walk at graduation until the following fall in December.

Tuition depended on whether you "needed" it or not - students could register in any semester to keep full-time status (but it only cost 1 credit of tuition money) and keep their loans from coming due if they had any. We didn't have to register for any internship credits to complete our degree, and instead submitted alternative paperwork to demonstrate completion of the degree requirement. Credit was only needed for the financial piece.

We could walk in the Spring if our dissertations were defended. Again, there was a paperwork process that we had to submit sharing that we were in good standing with our internship and would complete degree requirements on a certain date.

At the program I studied at, yes internship credits (3 were required to cover a full calendar year, one per semester). We also walked in spring commencement the year before we went off to internship since making people fly back is stupid, expensive, and diminishes the feeling of completion since so many fewer do it. This was a recent change and we were required to walk in winter or the following year (end of our first year ECP) before.

Not allowing health service psychologists to walk in spring commencement is a ceremonial issue handled by the school and stems largely from folks not understanding or caring how our training is done (e.g. we are done after internship not our dissertation). It has zero to do with degree conferment so I see no reason to not do it.

It’s not unusual for upper uni administration to require continuous enrollment in some form. Sometimes there are weird state laws about it that programs don’t want to run afoul of too. The predatory thing I’ve seen is internship “fees” at FSPS that are essentially money for nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
In the state where I got my PhD, students can walk and be hooded before they defend. Lots of people walk in May and then defend in June/July/August. That seems like jinxing it to me, so I defended in July then went back the following May to walk (my family lives within driving distance of my PhD alma marter, so it was a good excuse to visit home, too).

Never paid anything. My university managed to have 0-credit enrollments for this type of stuff so that students would not have to pay anything. There might have been a facilities fee or something, but no actual credit cost for internship, dissertation, etc.