Does your school pay attendings for rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1100659

Just curious if your DO school pays preceptors anything. Im an attending psychiatrist, was thinking about taking on 1-2 med students, I work at one of the largest mental health facilities in the region so its really a great learning experience. I just remember from my experience as a 3rd/4th year my school was stingy, didnt compensate preceptors anything and on top of that saddled them with all kinds of administrative BS tasks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they do, but not a whole lot of money. Last I heard it was like $500 per student per month.

Yes, they do, but not a whole lot of money. Last I heard it was like $500 per student per month.
thats not bad; in my day if i remember correctly one of the local med schools paid around 1,000 a month per student.

my school always trys to send me pamphlets and emails to do it for free

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has a lot of rotation sites, so insure thing carry form site to site. But at my rotation site the school pays the hospital network X amount per student but the hospital doesn't pay the preceptors anymore. From what I've gathered the hospital used to pay the preceptors 1-2k per student per month but doesn't anymore and instead gives the docs credit towards the yearly volunteering that the hospital requires. Taking something like 3-4 students per year fulfills the yearly required volunteering. I also have a friend who's parents are both docs and they take students from some DO school on the east coast and they get paid $1k per student per month, so its just school/hospital dependent.

Just curious if your DO school pays preceptors anything. Im an attending psychiatrist, was thinking about taking on 1-2 med students, I work at one of the largest mental health facilities in the region so its really a great learning experience. I just remember from my experience as a 3rd/4th year my school was stingy, didnt compensate preceptors anything and on top of that saddled them with all kinds of administrative BS tasks
My school does. The days of preceptors accepting students to teach out of the goodness of their heart (or for the DO profession) are long over. This is a conversation that you should be having with the Clinical Education Dean of your local med school.

And you should also be named an Adjunct Professor as well.

Reactions: 1 user
My school does. The days of preceptors accepting students to teach out of the goodness of their heart (or for the DO profession) are long over. This is a conversation that you should be having with the Clinical Education Dean of your local med school.

Thank you; those are my thoughts as well. My old DO school still has the "goodness of your heart" mentality so to speak, they seem a bit stuck in the past on that aspect which ultimately is unfortunate for their students.

Crazy that my school had tuition rates somewhere around 50k a year, years 3/4 and didnt pay a dime to preceptors..hm,..

• Wow
Thank you; those are my thoughts as well. My old DO school still has the "goodness of your heart" mentality so to speak, they seem a bit stuck in the past on that aspect which ultimately is unfortunate for their students.

Crazy that my school had tuition rates somewhere around 50k a year, years 3/4 and didnt pay a dime to preceptors..hm,..
If enough preceptors say "fork over the cash for my time", they'll come around. Hospital systems do this all the time.

I wasn't offered a title. Now I feel let down.

• Haha
My school would pay for 3rd year rotations and just gave us all the middle finger for 4th year.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
The dean at one of my DO school interviews said "We pay preceptors $1200 but keep in mind you're not to bother them and their main priority is to do their job so don't get in the way". I don't think my current school (MD) pays anything. One clinic threw a fuss about taking students for "free" (it's in their contract) and our school reached out to the parent hospital and shut them up

There are also FM offices around me that charge around $2-$3k/month for IMGs and FMGs to do "externships" (essentially act as an MA from what I can tell). It's fair when you think about it - $6-$10k for 3 months of USCE is a fraction of what most US students pay for med school.

Maybe start at $1800/student/month depending on your location and adjust from there (if your nearby schools have high tuition or are well funded)

Clinical Associate Prof here (unpaid/in private practice)
Have mentored residents and med students and never got a dime. Was my way to give back and expose them to my specialty....would up being great referral source for years to come one they got out.
I'd say do it because you want to, not to change your W-2

Teaching students during residency was a lot of hassle: paperwork, evals, and checklists of things the students had to do.

You also have to orient new rotators every month. Someone usually shows up at the wrong time or place, hasn't completed school requirements, comes unprepared, etc. There are scheduling issues too: "Hey, I have this list of 50 things my school wants me to do, but I'm off every other 2nd odd numbered day for didactics on patient centered pleasing, as well as days preceding a waxing crescent moon."

There are also interpersonal issues. Some are terrible with staff and patients, some are disinterested, some are overstepping gunners. There will also be complaints... too much work, too little work etc, and the school requires a response for every complaint.

It was a relief on rotations without med students. Basically, law #11 of House of God.

Teaching students during residency was a lot of hassle: paperwork, evals, and checklists of things the students had to do.

You also have to orient new rotators every month. Someone usually shows up at the wrong time or place, hasn't completed school requirements, comes unprepared, etc. There are scheduling issues too: "Hey, I have this list of 50 things my school wants me to do, but I'm off every other 2nd odd numbered day for didactics on patient centered pleasing, as well as days preceding a waxing crescent moon."

There are also interpersonal issues. Some are terrible with staff and patients, some are disinterested, some are overstepping gunners. There will also be complaints... too much work, too little work etc, and the school requires a response for every complaint.

It was a relief on rotations without med students. Basically, law #11 of House of God.

yep which is why I want to help but do feel compensation isnt an unfair idea.

Consider this; the students wont be paying me money. The money they pay goes to the school. That tuition will be the same with or without me. If theyre not paying their clinical faculty then where is that 50k a year third year going, lol...

I think our school pays $1k per student to our preceptors. We'd have up to 2 students per preceptor so up to $2k a month which I still feel is a bit low. I'm like 99% sure my preceptor could do their job faster without me getting in the way all the time.