Does Your School Monitor Your Email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rickettsia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you heard of school email accounts being monitored? How does it work? Are they archived, and are they deleted after a certain amount of time?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of ***** uses school email for anything other than school ****.

I don't know if they are actively monitored, but they are stored and can be reviewed by administration. I have no idea if they are kept on school servers or external servers, or for how long they're kept. My school uses Outlook.

Ditto upright - you'd be foolish to use school (or work) e-mail for anything but school (or work). The fact that work e-mails belong to the company as part of its working record is the reason that using a work account for personal correspondence is considered unprofessional. Students get used to using their undergrad e-mail as personal, I know, but my medical school, for one, is run like a little company rather than a college.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of ***** uses school email for anything other than school ****.

hes_watching_you.jpg

There are physical disk constraints, so there is a default detention period set by the IT people. Some schools like to keep a semester's worth of email and file storage on their servers. Some just purge everything older than 120 days or 250 days or whatever. At any rate, there is little expectation of privacy if you're not using your personal account on your own computer. I'm sure every school has a policy that says it reserves the right to view your email when necessary.

They don't casually check emails, but I'm sure they can. You would be an idiot to use school mail for anything other than mailing school officials and teachers. I, and most classmates I know, use a personal account to email fellow students. Also most schools are now using gmail variant, which means emails never get deleted.

Its always nice to have a healthy dose of paranoia...

Yes, schools HAVE ACCESS to your emails, but probably won't access it unless there is suspicion of cheating or something like that.

Bahahaha.....if they read our emails on the day to day....they'd surely be frightened.

I believe they have the right to check them, but obviously they don't waste their time regularly doing so, unless it's warranted.

My classmates and I definitely use our normal e-mails through school to message each other since it's just your first name and last name at the same domain. It's just the easiest way to communicate. I guess I'll just hope nothing I say is worthy of checking and kicking me out, though I will say the e-mail chains that get started up in a corner of the room during the less interesting lectures always provide great amounts of entertainment. It's always hilarious to check your e-mail, see a ridiculous image, and then look around at the 15 or so nearby students and see the very same image, stifling their laughs. Sigh....good times, I'll miss it when I'm gone....and just hope I learned enough despite the perpetual distractions :laugh:

Most schools and companies that monitor emails don't read every email but use keywords to flag and filter out emails; keywords like ganja. Just replace ganja with "osteopathy" and "cranial" for getting high and you'll fly under their radar :smuggrin: