Does waiting pose problems for getting fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCHawk10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in medical school and have a strong interest in general pediatrics with also some interest in some pediatric subspecialties.

My questions are:

How common is it to enter a pediatric fellowship or switch fields after practicing general pediatrics for several years versus going directly after residency?

Is it harder to secure a fellowship position (do programs show a preference for those just completing residency) ?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know a few who have gone this route, including a previous general practitioner now doing a NICU fellowship. I think it is easier just coming out of residency, partially because you have all the contacts, and you are doing this with a bunch of other residents. That said, many fellowships are not that competitive, and they won't care if you have been out a few years, as long as you are halfway decent, and can explain what you've been doing and why you didn't start fellowship immediately.

On the other hand, after a few years of a cushy 4 day a week, 2 call a month, general practice job, Q4 call will feel nasty (and are fellows regulated by work hours rules??).

Don't forget about a fellowship in general academic pediatrics-this is mostly post-residency research training and protected time, and is designed to train future general academic peds faculty. At this point it is 2 or 3 years.