Medical Does volunteering at an addiction center qualify as clinical volunteering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello, I currently was presented with the opportunity to volunteer at an addiction center (both inpatient and outpatient facility). I am definitely in need of more clinical volunteering hours, as I only have around 50, but I have a significant amount of "clinical experience" just not volunteering.

My question is, do adcoms consider an addiction facility to be an adequate place to volunteer clinically? I figured since they are patients and there are physicians that it would be fine. I did the urban hospital thing in high school, so I wanted to try to expose myself to some slightly more unconventional patient populations, and I figured an addiction center would be a good place to do so.

Does anyone have any input on this?

I think that volunteering in an Addiction Center will be a great source of clinical community service. It will take you out of a typical premed's comfort zone, give you both in- and out-patient experience, provide experience with related mental health issues, and it's very relevant to national concerns re: the Opioid Epidemic. I encourage you to "go for it."

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.