does tutoring in the CC math center count as "community service" ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kemist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Math is my best subject out of the sciences and I've tutored lots of students between classes informally. Would this be considered acceptable community service by a med school or should I look elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes...you should definitely list it

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I gather with speaking with the admissions offices of a few schools, it counts more like leadership than community service (which you need). They also usually want both medical and non medical volunteer work. Hope that helps!

When in doubt, list it. It probably won't matter too much if it is in the wrong section. What one school or one interviewer might think is community service, another may consider leadership and visa versa.

Math is my best subject out of the sciences and I've tutored lots of students between classes informally. Would this be considered acceptable community service by a med school or should I look elsewhere?

If I'm understanding your post correctly, I gotta go against the rest in this thread. You are saying you informally helped out a few friends between class? That doesn't count as an EC. Most of us do that. If they HIRE you as a tutor you can list it as tutoring. If it is an official program where you help tutor/teach eg disadvantaged kids for free then it would count as community service. But trying to create an activity out of what most people consider just helping out friends isn't going to fly. At the med schools that require community service (and only a few do), people tend to do the Habitat for Humanity, Big Brother Big Sister, soup kitchen kind of stuff. Helping give back to the poor in your community. (Note that this is different than healthcare volunteering -- at some places you need both). Not trying to recharacterize things into service that aren't, like helping out some friends and calling it a charity activity.