Medical Does turning down DO acceptance prevent you from getting into other DO schools in future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically as the title states I was accepted to the few DO schools I have applied to (applied mostly MD unsuccessfully and a few DO schools in region) but over the past year, through my current job, I have became very interested in pursuing research, something the DO schools I was accepted to are very weak in. Additionally, over the past year I got married (and am hoping to start a family) and the locations of the DO schools do not work with my spouses career. Thus, I am planning on turning down my DO acceptances and understand it is a risk but it is one I am willing to take given my situation.

I am planning on re-applying MD as I have a GPA ~3.5, 517 MCAT, and solid ECs, though I was wondering if by turning down my DO acceptances (especially since I did so prior to the April 1st report date) I would be blacklisted from other DO schools. I would not be re-applying to any school I was accepted into and only applied to several DO schools this past cycle.

I am very interested in applying to the likes of NYITCOM, KCU, PCOM, TCOM, etc. as they fit both my goals and family needs.

As a somewhat unrelated question does anyone have any recommendations on good SMPs or ways to structure a DIY post-Bacc? I suspect that my GPA is a large part of what got me denied and want to spend next year improving it before re-applying. Thanks in advance for all the help!!
There is no mechanism whereby DO schools know where you have been accepted.

The only thing you have to consider is that some secondary applications will ask you have you ever been accepted to another do school.

Then you have two choices: either lie, or tell the truth.

If you had a really valid reason for turning down an acceptance, I couldn't fault you for that. An example is if you got accepted to one of the brand new schools, that are very questionable to begin with.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the response Goro I really appreciate it.

Of the schools I was accepted to two new schools (never graduated a class), one for profit school (added to your bad boy list since I was accepted - not happy with what I have seen), and one school that has been around for ~10 years but is located in a rural area far from any research opportunities. That last school is the acceptance I held onto but plan on turning down as it doesn't line up with my goals.

I did apply to MSUCOM as an out of state student but did not receive an interview. Those were the 5 DO schools I applied to - my mistake was not giving my list more thought in the first place.
I imagine you have thought this through, but it merits stating explicitly--turning down your acceptances means there is a chance you will never be a doctor. It's great that you got multiple DO acceptances this time, and I'm sure it feels like if you "apply smarter" that you could do better. That may be true. It's also possible that you happened to apply to the sweet spot of schools you were competitive for this year, got in, and that you won't get into "better" schools in the future.

Additionally, I wouldn't turn down a school "because you can't do research as a DO." You may not be able to do a ton of research in school, but you control your destiny afterwards--granted, I'm in peds which isn't a terribly competitive specialty, but I'm currently at a major academic medical center and the "heir apparent" to the eminence in my part of the division is a DO. By far, the harder barrier to doing research is simply getting into med school in the first place, moreso than "doing research as a DO." Just some food for thought before you give up that last acceptance at whichever relatively well-established school you have.

That said, if your life circumstances have truly changed (ie your spouse can't move to where you schools are), then you have to do what is right for your family. So I agree with @Goro , you can choose whether or not to respond truthfully to those secondary questions, but ultimately I don't think most schools would hold your circumstances against you.

Yup I understand that completely and thought it through. I am pretty set on avoiding going into primary care after years of working in it (I got nothing against it but know it just isn't for me), so I want to set myself up in the best position to make that happen which is part of the reason I want to do research and attend a more established school (in addition to the family reasons).

I'd rather risk not getting in now then go through the years of medical school and then matching into something I don't enjoy. If I did that I know I would spend years wishing I did things differently. That was the decision I ultimately made.
Research at DO schools is definitely a week point for sure, but you can get plenty of research as a DO (you just have to work harder for it cause you may have to look outside your own school). You also are definitely not pigeon-holed into primary care as a DO.

If you are dead-set on reapplying MD, I would for sure still add DO schools to your app because your 3.5 is low for MD and you may end up in the same place (just a year behind).

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick whatever DO school you've been accepted to that has close proximity to other stronger academic institutions (PCOM close to UPenn/HUP, KCU close to KU Med). This will allow you time to get plugged in. It will be harder as a DO but it is possible. I am a DO in a research intensive pathway. Feel free PM if you choose to pursue this route.

Research for DO students can be arranged if you have a good student services team who can help you. I also know programs at NIH are available for medical student research over the summers, and other schools will likely have labs that can take you in over the summer, grant funding pending.

Guess I am reapplying then - I appreciate the advice from all of you immensely and will be sure to apply early, start working on my essays now, and gearing up for the next cycle!! Literally cannot thank you all enough. I met with my state MD for advice and they said my GPA (3.45 GPA, 517 MCAT) did not concern them and was not the reason I did not get an interview - rather it was a lack of community service (applied with 10 hours but have 250 now and counting) and mediocre essays. While I suspect that was the exception it is something to keep me hopeful.

Besides what I stated above is there anything else I should be doing to prepare myself for reapplication and giving myself the best possible opportunity to succeed? Also does anyone have any advice in regards to structuring my school list?
Do you have a rising GPA trend? If so, what are your year-by-year GPAs?

You should have at least 150 hrs of clinical exposure and 50+ hrs of shadowing.

2500 hours of scribing, 3500 hours patient facing clinical research (no publications), 250 hours volunteer, 6000 hours other work experience, V shaped GPA trend 3.45 cGPA (3.5, 2.9, 3.5, 3.6) 3.3 sGPA (3.4, 2.9, 3.4, 3.5). MCAT was taken 3 years post graduation and is a 517.

If doing a year post bac would greatly help my application it is something I am open to as I recognize my GPA is mediocre - I am just unsure of how much it would help and how to go about structuring it (ie where I would take classes, what classes would be best, etc). Admittedly, I was not overly focused/motivated as an undergrad and did not know I wanted to be a doctor though as I have gotten older that has drastically changed.

I have 3 years tuition saved up thanks to years of work so I have the finances to do it if it would really help.
You have great EC hours. I think that your plans for a year of post-bac are sound. You do need to bump that GPA up a bit, so the post-bac GPA should be > 3.5.

In addition to the schools you listed in your OP, include the Touros and KCU. Also inquire into the school-specific thread and ask the current medical students how strong their bench and clinical researchers are

Status
Not open for further replies.