Does Tricare Prime cover eye glasses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xmsr3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a bit confused about whether or not Tricare Prime covers eye glasses for active duty service members. My own research online seems to indicate that family members can get eye exams but glasses are not covered, but I am not sure about active duty service members. The info I found says ADSMs get their glasses at their MTF, but does that mean they are covered and if so is there a co-pay or is it free for them?

Can anyone here give me a definative answer? Preferably someone who wears glasses or knows someone who does?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a bit confused about whether or not Tricare Prime covers eye glasses for active duty service members. My own research online seems to indicate that family members can get eye exams but glasses are not covered, but I am not sure about active duty service members. The info I found says ADSMs get their glasses at their MTF, but does that mean they are covered and if so is there a co-pay or is it free for them?

Can anyone here give me a definative answer? Preferably someone who wears glasses or knows someone who does?

Yes, youre covered. Some of the clinics even have a wide selection of frames. If not, you can just take your Rx into town and buy one.

You can also get free Lasik/PRK, although there is a waiting list.

Members don't see this ad :)

Check your benefits publications. In some locations, there may be a very limited number of contractors that take the plan. Do you have a Tricare card yourself?

I know they'll fit your eyes and write the prescription, but I think you have to go out in town to buy them. That was the case for me (~6 yrs ago) . . . don't know what the current policy is. Get some LASIK, it's awesome!

I've heard it's advisable to put off LASIK until after medical school so all the reading doesn't just tear them back up...

I had LASIK before school and haven't had a problem...

What the F is up with your signature? why stop there, where's your transcript??!

Actually, DeadCactus may have a point. My eyes did weaken (too much reading and computers) and I had a second procedure (PRK) done about 5 yrs post LASIK as a touch up. (yes, I'm a pin cushion for Navy Opthalmology). Now I'm seeing better again, bout 16/20 in both eyes.

Wait a minute, are you guys sure that Lasik is covered? I had been hoping that I could ditch my glasses but take a look at this:

https://www.hnfs.net/common/benefits/benefits_limitations_exclusions.htm#anchor_l

Laser/LASIK/Refractive Corneal Surgery – Excluded, except to relieve astigmatism following a corneal transplant.

On the other hand it seems like some people here had Lasik done and it was covered, so what's the deal?

Did the regulations change recently? Or is the reason these people where able to get Lasik because of this:

Exceptions to this list may be made for active duty service members when care is ordered by a Military Treatment Facility (MTF) or the Military Medical Support Office (MMSO).

Did the people who got lasik get it through their MTF, which is why it was covered?

I checked out the link Dr. Metal provided and the site says that any Naval or Marine active duty are eligible, but does that mean that Army personel can't get it there? What if NNMC is our MTF, (since Walter Reed is being merged into NNMC I am assuming that when I arrive at USUHS I enroll in Tricare Prime with NNMC as my MTF)?

I checked out the link Dr. Metal provided and the site says that any Naval or Marine active duty are eligible, but does that mean that Army personel can't get it there? What if NNMC is our MTF, (since Walter Reed is being merged into NNMC I am assuming that when I arrive at USUHS I enroll in Tricare Prime with NNMC as my MTF)?

Active duty service members of all services are eligible for refractive surgery that is performed at an MTF (meaning you are not covered if you get it done in the civilian sector). It doesn't matter if your MTF is run by another branch, you will still be eligible. If your MTF does refractive surgery, you can usually get it done pretty quickly. If it doesn't, you will have to apply and be placed on a waiting list at another MTF that performs the service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for the great info. One final question: if we get Lasik done at our MTF is there a co-pay and if so how much can we expect it to cost us out of pocket?

Thanks everyone for the great info. One final question: if we get Lasik done at our MTF is there a co-pay and if so how much can we expect it to cost us out of pocket?

There is no co-pay. The only cost to you would be travel expenses if you have to travel to another MTF (you would be on a permissive TDY status).

Thanks del sol DOHC, great to know.

You are not entitled to contacts, but many military optometrists will fit you with some if they have the time and are in a good mood. It won't be covered at all if you go off-base.

A military optometrist will likely be happy to fit you for contacts, but the contact lenses themselves are not covered.

To get the free pair of glasses do you have get both the prescription and the glasses at a military institution? Is it possible to pay out of pocket at a civilian practice to get the prescription and then just pick up a pair of glasses at the MTF? Is it possible to get a pair of glasses paid for at a civilian vendor?

A military optometrist will likely be happy to fit you for contacts, but the contact lenses themselves are not covered.

This may be Navy specific, but...I have yet to find a military optometrist that will write me a prescription for contact lenses. I was flatly denied at NNMC.

If you are in aviation (flight surgeons included) then you can get the exam and contacts through the military.

Also I know that not all Navy MTF's offer LASIK. Most offer PRK, not LASIK.

This may be Navy specific, but...I have yet to find a military optometrist that will write me a prescription for contact lenses. I was flatly denied at NNMC.

If you are in aviation (flight surgeons included) then you can get the exam and contacts through the military.

Also I know that not all Navy MTF's offer LASIK. Most offer PRK, not LASIK.

That's weird. The Navy optometrists at my base were more than happy to prescribe contacts. The Navy just wouldn't pay for them.

Anybody have refractive surg. while in school? How disruptive is it to an academic routine? I've been wanting it for years, but I don't want to undergo a procedure that makes it painful to read while in med school.

Thanks.

Do you have an opinion about which of these is better?

You can have excellent outcomes with either. Intralase costs more because a second and very costly Yag laser is needed, but it allows a lower-vacuum force on the globe during flap cutting, which interferes less with perfusion. The time on application is short with the higher-force microkeratome fixation ring and it has not been thought to be significant as to its effect on ocular perfusion, but nonetheless, the difference is there. Probably more significant is the ability to create very uniform and thinner flaps with the Intralase (femtosecond YAG laser--IR wavelength) than with a microkeratome which allows for a thicker stromal bed from which to perform the stromal ablation (done with the excimer laser, UV wavelength).

In cases where the planned correction requires ablations that approach the limits of requirements for thickness of remaining corneal stroma (something you need to retain structural stability of the cornea and to avoid irregular astigmatism and poor post-operative vision), many experienced refractive surgeons choose not to cut a corneal flap at all and to ablate from the front surface as in PRK. This requires consideration of particular ablation patterns to use, choice of combinatons of ablation patterns and even selection of one make of excimer laser over another for that particular case depending on the laser's particular beam profile and performance at the treatment margins, considerations beyond this discussion.)

The flap design of the Intralase allows for something of a beveled or vertical "ship's hatch door fit" which theoretically limits any tendency to have the cut flap wander side to side post-op, whereas a shelved cut from a microkeratome does not afford this incisional architecture.

That all said, excellent outcomes can be had with either. 99% of the quality of laser refractive surgery outcomes are determined before anyone sets foot in the laser room.

Last edited:
Anybody have refractive surg. while in school? How disruptive is it to an academic routine? I've been wanting it for years, but I don't want to undergo a procedure that makes it painful to read while in med school.

Thanks.
I had LASIK done in Feb of 2008. Started school in Aug 2008 and haven't had any problems since getting it done. Best money I ever spent.

You can have excellent outcomes with either. Intralase costs more because a second and very costly Yag laser is needed, but it allows a lower-vacuum force on the globe during flap cutting, which interferes less with perfusion. The time on application is short with the higher-force microkeratome fixation ring and it has not been thought to be significant as to its effect on ocular perfusion, but nonetheless, the difference is there. Probably more significant is the ability to create very uniform and thinner flaps with the Intralase (femtosecond YAG laser--IR wavelength) than with a microkeratome which allows for a thicker stromal bed from which to perform the stromal ablation (done with the excimer laser, UV wavelength).

In cases where the planned correction requires ablations that approach the limits of requirements for thickness of remaining corneal stroma (something you need to retain structural stability of the cornea and to avoid irregular astigmatism and poor post-operative vision), many experienced refractive surgeons choose not to cut a corneal flap at all and to ablate from the front surface as in PRK. This requires consideration of particular ablation patterns to use, choice of combinatons of ablation patterns and even selection of one make of excimer laser over another for that particular case depending on the laser's particular beam profile and performance at the treatment margins, considerations beyond this discussion.)

The flap design of the Intralase allows for something of a beveled or vertical "ship's hatch door fit" which theoretically limits any tendency to have the cut flap wander side to side post-op, whereas a shelved cut from a microkeratome does not afford this incisional architecture.

That all said, excellent outcomes can be had with either. 99% of the quality of laser refractive surgery outcomes are determined before anyone sets foot in the laser room.

Thanks.

To get the free pair of glasses do you have get both the prescription and the glasses at a military institution? Is it possible to pay out of pocket at a civilian practice to get the prescription and then just pick up a pair of glasses at the MTF? Is it possible to get a pair of glasses paid for at a civilian vendor?

You can certainly bring a civilian Rx that is not expired to an MTF. They will only pay for a pair of glasses at a civilian vendor if it needs to be urgently rushed or if you require something outside of the capabilities of the military optical lab.

Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm very interested in getting Lasik after I graduate. Is it feasible to have it performed prior to starting residency, or sometime during intern year?

Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm very interested in getting Lasik after I graduate. Is it feasible to have it performed prior to starting residency, or sometime during intern year?

Unlikely to happen due to the priority system. I have seen a few interns get it done though so it isn't impossible during Intern year, but it will depend on where you are. For the Navy you will start at the optometrist. I would recommend getting in ASAP once you arrive to your duty station to start the process.