Does this seem like an upper level biology class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The class is under biomedical engineering (400 level), and it covers imaging - here's the description:

This course is an introduction course on biomedical imaging for undergrad and MS students. The topics cover all major imaging modalities, such as ultrasound, MRI, optical imaging, X-ray, computed tomography (CT), and nuclear imaging. This course will include lectures and visits to imaging laboratories and the UM hospital.

Would this count as a biology class - it seems very tenuous/subjective to me, and I'm thinking it wouldn't because I think of biology as microbio, genetics, anatomy/physio, immuno, neurosci, molecular bio, etc. I feel like this is not-traditionally "biology" - but I'd like to get some thoughts on whether most med school would consider this bio.

Members don't see this ad.

1) in terms of course classification solely for purposes of AMCAS, this would be an applied biomedical science/technology and would be outside of the traditional biomedical science. Therefore it would NOT be classified as biology and would not count towards BCPM GPA.
2) At most individual medical school that requires a year of biology or an additional year of advanced biology, it would likely not count or be considered as such in terms of prerequisite course work.
3) However, an LOR from such a class would more likely be considered fulfilling a science letter if the applicant chooses to do so
4) as I tell all applicants, with the need to apply broadly that will be already be limited to you from your future GPA and MCAT, applicants should take the broadest and traditional prereqs as possible in order to not self-limit their school list in the terms leading up to application
Got it - thank you!

The class is under biomedical engineering (400 level), and it covers imaging - here's the description:

This course is an introduction course on biomedical imaging for undergrad and MS students. The topics cover all major imaging modalities, such as ultrasound, MRI, optical imaging, X-ray, computed tomography (CT), and nuclear imaging. This course will include lectures and visits to imaging laboratories and the UM hospital.

Would this count as a biology class - it seems very tenuous/subjective to me, and I'm thinking it wouldn't because I think of biology as microbio, genetics, anatomy/physio, immuno, neurosci, molecular bio, etc. I feel like this is not-traditionally "biology" - but I'd like to get some thoughts on whether most med school would consider this bio.
No.