Does the summer before college count for medical school?

aaapowercat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated high school and am attending a university in the fall. I was wondering if I would put what I do this summer on a resume for medical school. (work experience, volunteering, doctor shadowing)

Members don't see this ad.

It counts. You graduated HS. Put it down.

If you're shadowing docs or volunteering, as Jef says, put it down.

If you're mowing lawns or working at Chili's, no one will care 4 years from now. (Even you won't honestly.)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're shadowing docs or volunteering, as Jef says, put it down.

If you're mowing lawns or working at Chili's, no one will care 4 years from now. (Even you won't honestly.)

:thumbup:

For my grad school apps I didn't even mention anything I did in high school, let alone what high school I attended. If you do what you should in college, you won't need to, unless it's truly fantastic.

For my grad school apps I didn't even mention anything I did in high school, let alone what high school I attended. If you do what you should in college, you won't need to, unless it's truly fantastic.

I think he means the summer following HS graduation.

Unless you continue these activities through college, don't include them.

I didn't even know you could put stuff like that on.

Stuff you did in HS I mean...

I don't think it "counts" so much as it's an opportunity for you to participate in some activity or experience. It's not going to look "bad" if you just relax. On the other hand, you'll be able to use one more summer to your advantage.

I would say relax because you don't want to burn out, but that's just me.

I don't think it "counts" so much as it's an opportunity for you to participate in some activity or experience. It's not going to look "bad" if you just relax. On the other hand, you'll be able to use one more summer to your advantage.

I would say relax because you don't want to burn out, but that's just me.

This.