Does the military pay for loupes after school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know that the military pays for loupes during school when it is required. However, does the military pay for your loupes when you are on active duty if they never paid for a pair during school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! What's the catch?
No catch. There is a standing policy that directs Commander's to get loupes for individuals once they come on active duty using unit funds if you never received a pair. You will just need to talk with your supervisor once you come on board. If someone wants to get a different pair than the one they got in dental school they will need to pay for those themselves.

Last edited:
No catch. There is a standing policy that directs Commander's to get loupes for individuals once they come on active duty using unit funds if you never received a pair. You will just need to talk with your supervisor once you come on board. If someone wants to get a different pair than the one they got in dental school they will need to pay for those themselves.

In the Navy, your loupes are purchased by the command, must be signed in and out of each command, and must be returned at the end of your service. This does not apply to any loupes that were reimbursed during school, though. You're also limited to the approved vendors.

i got a pair of loupes during school, then also got a pair of loupes and a headlight about a year ago. i've had other opportunities to have the army buy me loupes, but i turned them down b/c i really don't use them. i could probably have five pairs by now, if i wanted.

do they pay loupes while in reserves too? probably not but just thought about asking.

i got a pair of loupes during school, then also got a pair of loupes and a headlight about a year ago. i've had other opportunities to have the army buy me loupes, but i turned them down b/c i really don't use them. i could probably have five pairs by now, if i wanted.

Do you really even use loops very often as an OMFS resident?