Does SOPHAS really take 4-6 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nextfallmph

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How long did SOPHAS take for you? I turned in my transcripts back in October, finished my applications at the end of December, and it says that my GPA isn't calculated yet.

I understand that they really could take as much time as they say on the website, but wanted to hear about other people's experiences- especially if they applied later like me.

I also read on this forum that schools can check your app online before they get it mailed. Anyone else think this or know it to be true?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

they took about 4 weeks to calculate my gpa and one more week to send out my applications (i applied in beg./mid-dec and my applications were just sent out yesterday).

about your second question i am not sure. i didn't hear anything from the schools for 5 weeks and then as soon as sophas sent out the applications i heard from them saying they have received the applications. so i am not sure if in the meantime they accessed my applications or not. it might depend on the school. not sure

hope this helps.

I applied Dec. 3 and SOPHAS also mailed out my apps yesterday. I got one email saying a school got my application and nothing from the other two schools yet. How SOPHAS got my gpa confused me. I am on the quarter system, so I am guessing they converted everything to semester hours because all of my gpas were higher than what I thought they would be. My upper division gpa was up by 0.07. My cumulative gpa was up by 0.26. I'm not complaining :) I just want to get in somewhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
i submitted to SOPHAS on november 27 and my apps were mailed out by dec 12

oh as for your GPA thing..i had submitted my transcripts in October as well and was wondering i didnt have a GPA either and when i spoke to them they said they dont start verifying your GPA til your application is complete, submitted, and paid for

My application was sent out yesterday also even though my application was complete Dec 11th. I did hear from one school before about my University ID, and heard from three other programs about scholarships that were outthere. So they def. saw that I applied, but not sure how much they could see or not see. Or if they reviewed it in detail.

Such helpful responses! Thanks everyone.

Hello,
If this helps anyone, I spoke with a sophas representative and she advised me that as for today they are working on applications that were e submitted on December 30th. So if your like me and you submitted on Jan 10th you may have to wait the full 4 weeks. After your GPA is calculated they send out your application that week.

Yeah! Mine was mailed out today.

All in all, three and a half weeks. Not that bad!

Hmm... Four weeks. If I submitted and paid for my SOPHAS app on January 12, and GPA is not calculated yet, and assuming it takes a full 4 weeks on their end, do you think schools with a Feb. 1 deadline will just completely disregard my application?

It gives me a bit of hope to see that they *might* have access to my application before SOPHAS actually mails it. Although, even if my application is still accepted, perhaps they won't award any financial aid... :(

I asked SOPHAS about that. They said it varies from school to school. Some require that it is just submitted to SOPHAS by the deadline, some req that the GPA calc, etc is finished, and others state it has to be in their hands at the school by the deadline. Best to ask your schools.

Emory, for example, has sent me a couple of emails before they were mailed the application. It seems like they could "see" my app before it was sent to them. They also had my earliest deadline and my stuff was mailed to them after their deadline, so I was worried it was too late. It seems as though I am still being considered...

No school website that I checked out clearly said that they would not consider you if you submitted it to SOPHAS before their deadline, but then they received it after their deadline. I am guessing that we are still in the running!

i got an email this morning saying my gpa was calculated and my app would be senst out in the next weekly mailing.. i turned in in on jan 3rd.. so that may give yall an idea abotu when yours will be reviewed!!!

THis is the email they sent me when I asked them several weeks back:

"Most of the schools which use SOPHAS require applicants to just submit their application to SOPHAS by the deadline date, other schools require your application to be complete by the deadline, meaning all US transcripts and at least 2 references received by SOPHAS, and other schools require the application to be in their hands by the deadline date. You should contact your school directly to see what they require to be done by the deadline. SOPHAS will process your application regardless of when it is received, but it is the school's decision whether an application is considered on time."

How much time do they take to calculate the international transcripts?
I am going to send in a packet tommorow, yes i know its really late, but i couldnt do it before.