Does reputation of residency program affect employment opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if it would make a significant difference in your employment opportunities to train at a "prestigious" residency program versus a lesser known program? Not talking about an academic career, just general employment offers.

Obviously in other fields like law, people who trained at top programs get considerably better job offers, is this at all true in medicine? I have not really heard of this being the case, though I would imagine it is reasonable to assume there is some truth to it. Other than personal recommendations, how do potential employers judge the quality of surgeons?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious to know if it would make a significant difference in your employment opportunities to train at a "prestigious" residency program versus a lesser known program? Not talking about an academic career, just general employment offers.

Obviously in other fields like law, people who trained at top programs get considerably better job offers, is this at all true in medicine? I have not really heard of this being the case, though I would imagine it is reasonable to assume there is some truth to it. Other than personal recommendations, how do potential employers judge the quality of surgeons?

Some private groups in highly desireable areas are elitist and hire from top fellowships. 90 percent of the times, it doesn’t matter, at least in my experience.

Even then, it seems like where you did your fellowship seems to matter more than where you did your residency.

Some private groups in highly desireable areas are elitist and hire from top fellowships. 90 percent of the times, it doesn’t matter, at least in my experience.

Even then, it seems like where you did your fellowship seems to matter more than where you did your residency.

Interesting. Does your residency location affect your chances of getting a fellowship position at a top place to a significant degree? I have always wondered what makes a resident stand out for fellowship other than pubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Does your residency location affect your chances of getting a fellowship position at a top place to a significant degree? I have always wondered what makes a resident stand out for fellowship other than pubs.

Fellowship is all about who you know and who wrote your letters. So I guess going to a program with big name attendings will give you a leg up on guys from small community programs. But there are plenty of fellowships around for everyone. You should try and focus on where you’ll fit in with residents and which location is best for you. Rest will work itself out.

Reactions: 1 users

Agree, it doesn't matter all that much in general. However, I will say that where you did your 5/6 year residency in my experience is far more important than your 1 year fellowship for the few employers who may care.

Agree, it doesn't matter all that much in general. However, I will say that where you did your 5/6 year residency in my experience is far more important than your 1 year fellowship for the few employers who may care.

I agree with this statement, you learn how to operate in residency and learn advanced skills in fellowship. But on the job trail, it seems like employers talk quite a bit about your fellowship than your residency. However most of the employers don’t care as long as you’re board eligible and meet their requirements.

You should try and focus on where you’ll fit in with residents and which location is best for you. Rest will work itself out.
Each step impacts the options available to you. No medical school cares about your high school performance, for a university the high school performance was critical.
Your letters and interview get you your residency. Fellowships and jobs in ortho depend heavily on the attendings. For fellowships, the letters are critical.However, that is where the network comes in. One or two phone calls can make or break you for competitive programs. The name on the fellowship gets responses, but not the job. Word of mouth networking is the best path to a good job. Openings occur for either growth or a replacement.Finding a good situation without a network is difficult for a first time attending. About 50% leave the first job after the second year.