Does reapplying improve chances over just improving first? (If you listened to the school's advice)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floorsalt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two Scenarios:

Scenario 1: I apply to my desired medical school let's call it MedSchoolX, they deny me but give me helpful advice to improve myself as a candidate, they advise me to take Post-bac and improve my MCAT, I then reapply having finished a 1 year post-bac and improved my MCAT to Z

Scenario 2: I take a post-bac, retake the MCAT and improve to Z, and apply for the FIRST time to MedSchoolX.

My adviser said that your chances of getting accepted would be higher in scenario 1 since you show you can listen to their advice and follow through with a plan.

If it makes a difference I am a non-traditional 36 year old URM. 3.15 cum, 3.3 science, strong volunteer, no research, good letters of rec

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do the post-bacc first, bc med schools will often not tell you how to improve your app. They often say "there were just too many amazing candidates" or something of that nature. I would do a post-bacc with an integrated MCAT course, kill it, and then apply. Being a re-applicant to med school usually makes it slightly harder to get in.

Reactions: 1 user
Two Scenarios:

Scenario 1: I apply to my desired medical school let's call it MedSchoolX, they deny me but give me helpful advice to improve myself as a candidate, they advise me to take Post-bac and improve my MCAT, I then reapply having finished a 1 year post-bac and improved my MCAT to Z

Scenario 2: I take a post-bac, retake the MCAT and improve to Z, and apply for the FIRST time to MedSchoolX.

My adviser said that your chances of getting accepted would be higher in scenario 1 since you show you can listen to their advice and follow through with a plan.

If it makes a difference I am a non-traditional 36 year old URM. 3.15 cum, 3.3 science, strong volunteer, no research, good letters of rec

Thanks!

Scenario 2 will save you a lot more time, money, and stress/disappointment. If you already know what you need to improve just do it!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Two Scenarios:

Thanks!
Your adviser is giving you malignantly horrible advice. Being a reapplicant is never a good thing. Scenario 1 shows that you're short-sighted and have an egregious lack of insight. Scenario 2 shows you actually have a brain and can identify and fix problems without being spoon fed. Why would it be better to screw up first instead of just doing it right the first time?! Fire that adviser immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You really only want to apply one time with your best application possible. If you know what your application lacks, fix it and then apply. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Two Scenarios:

Thanks!
Gawd, data point # 49476340675634054363783670009 that most pre-med advisors are *****s. Yours, in fact, is an absolute ****ing *****. IF you value your medical career, dump his/her ass and find a new one, STAT.

Reactions: 1 users