Does Physical Appearance matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optman87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys think Physical Appearance matters when you get to interview? Not necessarily how you dress (clothing) but actual physical appearance? Unfortunately, from what I hear, it does.....:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

what do you mean by this? hahah im sorry but of course physical appearance matters... it matters every day in everything you do but yeah; in an interview situation where the only thing the interviewer knows is how you present yourself and what you say how can it not matter? if you are interviewing to be a doctor you should look like a doctor??? i dunno; my school has a pretty strict dress code policy that includes things like no piercing other than ear (females only), no 'interesting' hair color choices, no visible tatoos.... etc... so if someone shows up for an interview with green hair they prolly wont get in... not cause they couldnt dye it later but what are they doing showing up for their interview without trying to please the people they are interviewing with. shrug.. lots of people in my class have stuff that goes against the dress code... but, for example, girls with nose piercings have to take them out for clinic... tattoos have to be covered up with clothing or skin colored bandaid...etc...

I think Optman meant how pretty/handsome someone looks, not how many tattoos or how someone dresses to an interview?

I am hoping the answer to that is no. It should be how one presents oneself and how confident one is. But of course, I don't know for sure myself. Interesting question though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I am sorry for not being that clear....I mean if pretty/handsome makes a difference.

Thanks all!

Yeah, it makes a difference. It depends on who interviews you, but I can tell you it was definitely a factor in one of my interviews. (The first thing she told me was that I looked like someone she knew.)

I don't think it matters how pretty/hansome you are as long as you don't look like a shlub for your interview. If you're lacking looks wise, just do your best to make yourself look the best...aka cut your hair, shave your beard, buy a suit that fits right, ect ect.

what do you mean by this? hahah im sorry but of course physical appearance matters... it matters every day in everything you do but yeah; in an interview situation where the only thing the interviewer knows is how you present yourself and what you say how can it not matter? if you are interviewing to be a doctor you should look like a doctor??? i dunno; my school has a pretty strict dress code policy that includes things like no piercing other than ear (females only), no 'interesting' hair color choices, no visible tatoos.... etc... so if someone shows up for an interview with green hair they prolly wont get in... not cause they couldnt dye it later but what are they doing showing up for their interview without trying to please the people they are interviewing with. shrug.. lots of people in my class have stuff that goes against the dress code... but, for example, girls with nose piercings have to take them out for clinic... tattoos have to be covered up with clothing or skin colored bandaid...etc...

ughhh I'm entering SCCO's class of 2012 this August. looks like the nose stud and black nail polish has got to come off! it's ok! time to grow up!

Just wondering if you guys think Physical Appearance matters when you get to interview? Not necessarily how you dress (clothing) but actual physical appearance? Unfortunately, from what I hear, it does.....:rolleyes:

I don't know about the interview because we had some pretty ugly sons of guns in my class!! :eek: I kid, I kid.

But it has been well documented by psychologists and sociologists that "good looking" people tend to be more successful, and make more money in just about every walk of life.

Good looking people get all the breaks. You all know this.

Not really, even though psychological research fortifies your point, its all relative. Taking that into account, you could be extremely bad looking, win two lotteries in a row, invest in a stock, become a billionaire the next day and still have people shout out, "Hey, ugly" :laugh:

Anyways, for interview purposes I dont think it matters if your good/bad looking but if you have some sort of physical feature caused by chromosomal disorder and is shockingly visible then perhaps...:thumbdown:

of course appearance matters. but, in the context of a graduate school interview, i don't think it matters whether you're "ugly" or "pretty". what matters is the impression that people get by looking at your face. as long as you appear to be cheerful and enthusiastic i don't think there would be a problem. so... are you ugly? jk :laugh:

Thanks for all the input.

Unfortunately, I believe physical appearance does make a difference. I just think its human nature. If applicants have very similar stats and you invite them to the interview and both are enthusiastic and have a solid interview, looks will sway the interviewer to like one over the other.

I always wondered why some schools give the option to submit a photo of the applicant, while others prohibit it.

Innate human bias to good looking people? I think it may be there, even if just a little bit.

Thanks for all the input.

Unfortunately, I believe physical appearance does make a difference. I just think its human nature. If applicants have very similar stats and you invite them to the interview and both are enthusiastic and have a solid interview, looks will sway the interviewer to like one over the other.

While you have a point, you need to consider that rarely is it one person making the admissions decision... it is the entire committee - the majority of which will not have interviewed you and may not have even laid eyes on you. A professional appearance matters, but I doubt being "ugly" will get you passed over when every other aspect of your application is competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
says the one with pretty green eyes ;)

HAHA this is so funny. I saw the same question in Pre-dental and Pre-med forums. What is going on!?

Anyways, for interview purposes I dont think it matters if your good/bad looking but if you have some sort of physical feature caused by chromosomal disorder and is shockingly visible then perhaps...:thumbdown:

Hahaha, that's hilarious!:laugh: I love this forum

its funny, but its serious at the same time.......

there is nothing make up, the right hair cut, suit, and good dim lighting can't fix/

But it has been well documented by psychologists and sociologists that "good looking" people tend to be more successful, and make more money in just about every walk of life.

Perhaps because of a higher confidence level?

Facial apperance probably do matter to an extent; however, optometry schools will not get you accept you because you are pretty and underqualified in many other aspects, nor will the school deny your acceptance because of your bad looks even when you are qualified in other aspects. The more important thing is probably your confidence and the way you carry yourself throughout the interview, which may be affected if you're unconfident about yourself due to your looks.

My interviewers immediately complimented my cool, yet professional outfit. Then I got accepted! To anyone who's worried about their attractiveness, I highly suggest you get some style and/or carry yourself well (posture included!).

P.S. A high OAT score, high GPA, and tons of experience helps too.

Really? They complimented on mine too - and I got accepted too. Yay for us being fashionable. :laugh: Yeah, I think as long as you can show that you actually care about looking stylish/professional and presenting yourself in the best manner possible (no matter what your facial features look like), you will give a good first impression and be more likely to have a successful interview.

Birthday suit :hardy:
VERY tailored.

Haha, yes, you can never go wrong with the birthday suit - very honest first impression! haha Well, Pre Opt Student, I wore a black suit with subtle pinstripes, a bright yellow collared shirt with rhinestone buttons, and black shiny heels. :D I just liked it because yellow is my favorite color. ;)

In the past, Berkeley interviews were business casual. I stood out like a sore thumb last year with my dark brown slacks, purple v-neck sweater, purple/tan pinstripe collared shirt, and mettalic blackish purple pumps. Since so many people wore black suits last year, they changed it to professional attire this year. But I think you can still look stylish in a black suit. Can we say, killer shoes?