Does Optometry School Matter? (Berkeley)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KimNguyen19866

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from the state of texas and was wondering if I should go to houston optometry or berkeley optometry. I have a 3.9 and 380 OAT so I believe I have a chance of getting into either. I'm pretty easy going so I can live anywhere, so city is not a big deal to me. I'm more worried about when i'm done w/ optometry school. Will going to berkley make it easier for me to find a job, get paid higher, have more patients(b/c of the name)? Or would it be better to go to Houston and save the money to help open an office? I believe school is an investment, would going to berkley be a better investment financially or houston? thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

I am from the state of texas and was wondering if I should go to houston optometry or berkeley optometry. I have a 3.9 and 380 OAT so I believe I have a chance of getting into either. I'm pretty easy going so I can live anywhere, so city is not a big deal to me. I'm more worried about when i'm done w/ optometry school. Will going to berkley make it easier for me to find a job, get paid higher, have more patients(b/c of the name)? Or would it be better to go to Houston and save the money to help open an office? I believe school is an investment, would going to berkley be a better investment financially or houston? thank you:)

I doubt any patients would even care to ask where u went to school or even be able to name any 1 optometry school.

thank you for your reply. Any more comments anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with EyeWitness. Patients do not care.

ditto. how much money you make depends on the market more than anything else, and how you decide to practice. education, i believe, also depends on yourself. you do as well as you let yourself.

I agree with the above posters, you should go where's cheapest. If Berkeley is what will make you happy, you should go there though.

Patients don't care, but what about after graduation when you're applying to work in an office? All schools aren't created equal, obviously. If other optometrists are looking to hire you to work in their practice, and they must choose between applicants from a variety of schools, will the school play a role?

I've read in other threads that practicing optometrists might be less inclined to hire graduates of the new programs. So, if that is being considered, wouldn't they also consider differences in the programs of each of the established schools as well?

Obviously there would be a host of other factors involved, but it seems like the school may still play a role post-graduation.

Patients don't care, but what about after graduation when you're applying to work in an office? All schools aren't created equal, obviously. If other optometrists are looking to hire you to work in their practice, and they must choose between applicants from a variety of schools, will the school play a role?

I've read in other threads that practicing optometrists might be less inclined to hire graduates of the new programs. So, if that is being considered, wouldn't they also consider differences in the programs of each of the established schools as well?

Obviously there would be a host of other factors involved, but it seems like the school may still play a role post-graduation.

Some doctors probably prefer certain schools but I wouldn't say that a majority do. I don't think it should matter, if you've passed national boards you've proved that you know your stuff. I'd guess if a doc was choosing between a few people, he'd go for whoever had completed a residency.

I think it's just going to vary from person to person. I do agree though that a lot of docs may be wary of graduates from the new schools.. that having been said.. it may in turn make all the "current" schools more equal in their mind.