Does no home program affect chances at matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NehsNairb

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a MSI in the fall and am slightly interested in ENT. I was just wondering if lack of a home department or residency program will affect my chances at matching into ENT. I remember reading in the Rad Onc forum that connections and who you know makes a big deal when it comes to getting a good residency. Is this true for ENT as well?

Members don't see this ad.

NehsNairb said:
I'm going to be a MSI in the fall and am slightly interested in ENT. I was just wondering if lack of a home department or residency program will affect my chances at matching into ENT. I remember reading in the Rad Onc forum that connections and who you know makes a big deal when it comes to getting a good residency. Is this true for ENT as well?

I don't think that it is a huge deal, but there could be an effect. Basically, what I am saying is that a good candidate will get in even coming out of a med school without an oto program, but a candidate who is on the edge might need that extra connection to get in.

-- not sure if you are lacking a home department, residency, or both? --

I'm in a similar situation just beginning my third year with an interest in ENT as a possibility. We have a department but no residency program. There are many pros/cons but here are a few that come to mind.

The disadvantages:
- Less impact of the connections from my home school, but these guys are still academic Oto physicians who are connected to others in academia.
- No exposure to life as a resident in ENT
- Lack of program means lack of ENT education experiences with zero exposure during 3rd year surgery and only one true ENT 4 week elective available during 4th year. This highlights the need to do at least one or two away rotations.

The advantages:
- Undivided attention from the Oto department faculty. Nobody (and I literally mean nobody) from my school has gone into ENT in at least the last 2 or 3 matches. That means that if I get interested, I will likely be the only student doing so. I would have the undivided attention and support of the entire department (assuming I don't perform like a complete ***** ;) ).
- Easier opportunity to get involved with the department and participate in things like research opportunities. Again, this is because I would likely be the only student even expressing an interest in such.

I luckily already have a connection to someone at a school where I would like to do an away -- the guy is in charge of education for their ENT program and also happens to be my dad's doctor. Lucky me. If I'm still thinking ENT by the time Christmas break rolls around 6 months from now, I am hoping to at least set up some shadowing with him.....maybe an away rotation 4th year. Who knows?

Good luck. You are interested early in the game, so you are well prepared already.

Dunce said:
The advantages:
- Undivided attention from the Oto department faculty. Nobody (and I literally mean nobody) from my school has gone into ENT in at least the last 2 or 3 matches. That means that if I get interested, I will likely be the only student doing so. I would have the undivided attention and support of the entire department (assuming I don't perform like a complete ***** ;) ).
- Easier opportunity to get involved with the department and participate in things like research opportunities. Again, this is because I would likely be the only student even expressing an interest in such.

Good points.