Does MSW Concentration really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Concentration sounds like the Best Option?

• Child, Youth and Families

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adult Mental Health and Wellness

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CampDeeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I don't know if this question has been posed before, but does the concentration you pick really matter?

Right now I am putting the finishing touches on my MSW apps and between Azusa Pacific and USC the concetration choices vary.

Azusa Pacific I already know that I am going to do the direct practice concentration but for USC I am all over the place.

For USC apps, they ask which concentration I would like and I am torn between Child Youth and Families and Adult Mental Health and Wellness because I know I want to get my LCSW at some point doing Mental Health with Children and Families dabbling in things like play therapy or marriage counseling working in a hospital setting or a school. I know it seems very all over the place, but if someone had to ask me where I see myself this is it. Mental Health is it.

So My question is does it matter the concentration? Or is it solely based on the interships/experience/curriculm that sways it? I am just making sure I am choosing what sounds the closest to where I see myself.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello @CampDeeds , yes it does matter. As a current 2nd year USC MSW student, the concentration you pick will dictate the classes you are able to take. I'm currently in the AMHW track, and I've discussed the classes I've taken with students from the other concentrations, and there are major differences. With that being said, the two concentrations you listed are "streamlined", in the sense that they prepare you for therapy with the selected populations. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me.