Does MCAT Feel Like a foreign language to anyone else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladybug19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member on this forum. Recently, I started to study for MCATs. Even though I have just finished all pre-reqs, I dont seem to know the answer to any of the questions in the MCAT prep book. Is this normal? Or am I in trouble? Is there anyone out there who was in the same boat as i am but managed to do well on the MCAT? thx.:(

Members don't see this ad.

You are not alone. I was one of those people who took the pre-reqs, did well on them (A' and B's) but was not able to recall the stuff effectively whe it came time to take the MCAT. Then I found Exam Krackers and was able to raise my composite score by 10 points. The other MCAT preps (like Kaplan) review 2 years worth of pre-reqs in a "shotgun" fashion. Exam Krackers prepares you for the MCAT, how to prepare for THAT test (rather than a general knowledge base).

Get the Exam Krackers material and definitely invest in the set of CD's. You'll be amazed at the difference. Just my two cents.

Also had good luck with EK here, the books alone worked fine for me.

The exam was pretty different, and it took a lot of time to get used to it..it seemed to cover details on many areas not addressed in my prereq classes, but didn't go as deep in other areas as my coursework covered, and there were (in particular in the English section) answers where I read the explanation, and simply disagreed with their answer as another answer choice seemed to have better justification..after a while I just learned to go with the flow, limit time spent on any one question, and realize I'd never really feel "good" after finishing the exam, unlike most other exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just starting this journey, but having taken the LSAT (many years ago!) and practiced law, I have some thoughts on the issue.

I have been looking at sample MCAT tests quite a bit and I have been very surprised at how much logic and reasoning is required. I have always assumed (incorrectly) that it was straight regurgitation of scientific knowledge. To the contrary, there is a lot of *thinking* required even on the science sections -- just knowing the material isn't enough. If you don't read the questions critically, it can be difficult to assess what knowledge you are being asked to apply.

I think a prep course (or at least the materials) will help you quite a bit in learning how to pick apart the questions. There are some really useful test-taking strategies that will seem common sense once you learn them but may take a little practice to get used to applying.

The MCAT is actually the part of this crazy thing I feel the best about, because it is so much like the LSAT in terms of the type of test it is and my whole professional background is grounded in using logic and reasoning. I'm more nervous how I'm going to do on the exams in the science courses, since they are (I again assume, maybe wrongly!) more objective than the subjective, talk in circles, style I'm used to! :)

Good luck! You can do it!

Wow - I'm glad I'm not alone. I took a couple of practice sections a couple of months ago and most of it was greek to me...

Thanks for the insight about practice methods.

JB

After taking the GMAT, CFA, numerous insurance and financial services exams, grad school exams, etc, I believe that the MCAT tests... how well you can do on the MCAT.

It's just different from most other exams in that the time is so tight, if your momentum is thrown off you can screw up a full section or more, if you try to check your work, you'll likely not finish that section, etc. Add in the typical MCAT practice of passages unlike anything you've seen before, and it's easy to get stressed & thrown off target. Parts of the exam are logical, but I recall questions requiring one to know, for example, the elements & ratios in Nitrate; some areas are pure recall & regurgitate. But it does get easier with practice!

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member on this forum. Recently, I started to study for MCATs. Even though I have just finished all pre-reqs, I dont seem to know the answer to any of the questions in the MCAT prep book. Is this normal? Or am I in trouble? Is there anyone out there who was in the same boat as i am but managed to do well on the MCAT? thx.:(

I recommend Kaplan. I went from a 21 on my diagnostic to a 32 on test day. :thumbup:

I have been looking at sample MCAT tests quite a bit and I have been very surprised at how much logic and reasoning is required. I have always assumed (incorrectly) that it was straight regurgitation of scientific knowledge. To the contrary, there is a lot of *thinking* required even on the science sections -- just knowing the material isn't enough. If you don't read the questions critically, it can be difficult to assess what knowledge you are being asked to apply.

This is exactly right. The MCAT tests critical thinking and reading comprehension.

Last edited: