Does it matter which state you do a forensic fellowship in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofthesouth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying their new college/med school/residency academic year.

Just a quick question for those of you in forensic fellowships or forensics... since state laws vary regarding mental health, is it critically important to do your forensic fellowship in the state in which you plan to practice forensics? Or is it pretty easy to move elsewhere and transition into the laws of another state? Also, what impact does practicing in a different state than your fellowship have on networking (with lawyers/forensic psychiatrists, etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, what impact does practicing in a different state than your fellowship have on networking (with lawyers/forensic psychiatrists, etc)?

I'm still trying to figure these things out so bear with me. Anasazi may be able to get you better answers.

is it critically important to do your forensic fellowship in the state in which you plan to practice forensics?
No. Although state laws do vary, anyone could easily obtain the state laws and read up on them. However you probably know that reading the laws, and actually working in them are different. It will help to work within a structure of colleagues that can support you if you're new in the area to help you get better acquainted with the laws of a specific state.

Or is it pretty easy to move elsewhere and transition into the laws of another state?
Although I haven't moved states in terms of practicing forensic psychiatry (though I have moved from residency to attending to fellowship, but only worked with forensic psychiatry after the move from NJ to Ohio)-I'd say yes and no.

Yes if the laws are almost the same and its not a major case, no if you get a complicated case and the laws are different.

Examples--competency evaluations which are basic in forensic psychiatry-unless its a grey area defendant and the case is major (e.g. multiple murders) are usually easy. The standards for competency were established by the Supreme Court of the US, so those standards are going to be the same across the country. In addition to that, states will have some added standards, but all states must work within the federal guidelines. By the time you finish fellowship, competency evaluations will be so bread & butter that I figure even between different states its not going to be a big deal.

However other issues such as cases you rarely encounter, and major cases where the laws differ greatly, yes I can see that being difficult if you move to a new state. Heck, I think it'd be difficult if you're in the same state where you trained.

Also, what impact does practicing in a different state than your fellowship have on networking (with lawyers/forensic psychiatrists, etc)?
I figure its going to set you back. Not all of us can be Phil Resnicks and move anywhere and be known to all. Even if you establish a good local reputation, that reputation will not follow you into a new state. It could set you back for years. Not a forensic example, but I opened a lot of doors where I did residency. Moving to Ohio for fellowship-well I went from big fish to little fish. I had established myself as good to several in my program, and did a lot of work with the NJ APA. If I moved back to NJ & wanted to be active again in the NJ APA, I'd be a known quantity, and have more doors open to me. If I were to be active in the Ohio APA, I'd be starting over again. If I were to stay in Ohio, it'd take a few years of work to get the rep I made in NJ, while at the same time being in a much bigger pond with more competition.

However if I were to stay in Ohio, I've established a rep at the state forensic facility, and some lawyers in the area.

If you move to a new state, you'll probably have no problem finding work in a state forensic facility, however you will be set back in terms of establishing a private practice. If you move to an area with an forensic psychiatric structure of some sort (e.g. a fellowship, a group of private doctors who know and network with each other), they may not be so open to allowing someone in to protect their marketshare. Of course they may also welcome you in and help you get started. I've heard for example that Tulane is looking for forensic psychiatrists and will help them start their career. You could be set back, but you may also be able to find colleagues who want to help you out.

Overall, I would factor the fellowship's location in terms of being where you want to settle. I do think a forensic psychiatrist can do a move (e.g. right after graduation), but doing multiple moves is going to hurt your ability to eventually start a strong private practice which can take years to develop. You will though probably have no problem finding a job as an attending on a forensic unit.

Last edited: