Does it matter when the spring transcript is sent in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

over

Reaction score
So I didnt do good my fall semester. I took 3 labs and had some bad luck with TAs and grading. This spring semester I'm hoping to do better to make up for it.

I read that gpa is looked at year by year, so my spring semester will be blended in with my fall semester gpa. I'm wondering if I send only my fall transcript to be verified, then attach a spring transcript, would that differentiate the two-semester and benefit more from the recovery?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a junior, it's not going to work. You don't get to dribble your transcripts in. You are verified all at once. After that, you can always send whatever you want to the schools, but it won't be verified, and it won't be included in your AMCAS GPAs at all.

If you don't have enough credits in your verified transcripts, your application might very well be DOA right there. In addition, while trying to hide bad grades might be a strategy, what would you hope to accomplish by sending in your bad grades and having the good grades follow? You'll be much better off waiting and having the better grades offset the bad ones.

Adcoms look at trends year over year, not semester over semester. There is a reason the AMCAS grid doesn't break out grades by semester, and that's it!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
If you are a junior, it's not going to work. You don't get to dribble your transcripts in. You are verified all at once. After that, you can always send whatever you want to the schools, but it won't be verified, and it won't be included in your AMCAS GPAs at all.

If you don't have enough credits in your verified transcripts, your application might very well be DOA right there. In addition, while trying to hide bad grades might be a strategy, what would you hope to accomplish by sending in your bad grades and having the good grades follow? You'll be much better off waiting and having the better grades offset the bad ones.

Adcoms look at trends year over year, not semester over semester. There is a reason the AMCAS grid doesn't break out grades by semester, and that's it!
Never heard of the credit thing. Thats interesting

I'm not actually considering actually doing this because of the hassle. BUT I thought it would make a ton of sense in theory.
We all know what upward trend is and its a good thing. Isn't this just a small scale upward trend? What are you confused about?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not actually considering actually doing this because of the hassle. BUT I thought it would make a ton of sense in theory.
We all know what upward trend is and its a good thing. Isn't this just a small scale upward trend? What are you confused about?
Yes, an upward trend is a good thing. It consists of one or more YEARS, as reflected in the AMCAS grid. A single unverified semester, submitted as a update to a primary, would not only not constitute a "trend," but it might not even ever be seen if the applicant is screened out based on the verified transcript.

What might make sense is trying to hide a bad last semester, but not a good one in order to separate it from a bad second to last semester. And yeah, while many schools expect us to have a bachelor's degree, some don't, but they all expect us to have at least 90 credits when we apply. This is a non-issue for most, since most people nowadays apply with gap years, but if you're applying with less than 90 credits, how are they supposed to evaluate your transcript as compared to the vast majority of applicants that have 120+ credits, including 4 years of UG, post-baccs, masters, SMPs, etc.?

Reactions: 1 user

Who is confused?
I don’t think a “small scale upward trend” is a thing. Since ADCOMS will see what AMCAS sends them , under your plan the last set of grades they will see is Fall 2021. That is the last set of grades that will be in your GPA calculations. If you send in a new transcript, it will be filed. It might be reviewed in time to make a difference on interviews and it might not. Just wait a couple of weeks and send the redemption grades. Get those grades averaged into your AMCAS GPAs. ( How bad were your Fall grades that you are seemingly so concerned over a single bad semester? )

Reactions: 1 users
So I didnt do good my fall semester. I took 3 labs and had some bad luck with TAs and grading. This spring semester I'm hoping to do better to make up for it.

I read that gpa is looked at year by year, so my spring semester will be blended in with my fall semester gpa. I'm wondering if I send only my fall transcript to be verified, then attach a spring transcript, would that differentiate the two-semester and benefit more from the recovery?
I am sorry to hear that your fall semester didn't go as expected. However, I would caution against omitting any of your transcripts, as AMCAS goes through and matches what you delineate course-by-course with what your institution has on record. Don't lose points right away for something as simple as an error of omission.

I'm not very familiar with your story but if fall was your first semester, or your second year or something, there's still plenty of time to get your GPA up. Chin up and put your best foot forward. Good luck.