does it matter what PT school i get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctwen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
as long as i get into one? will this effect the chances of me getting into a PT job, opening up a clinic..etc?

Members don't see this ad.

No, it ultimately doesn't. However, it can affect the clinicals available to you, certain resources, etc. Those are the intangibles that one school can have over the next. In the small population of PTs fighting for employment at a facility with low turnover rates, etc these resources and experiences can give you the up on the next job applicant. However, as long as you leave school with a good skill set to pass the boards and be a good PT, it doesn't matter where you go.

I say go to the school that best fits your needs and wants.

Members don't see this ad :)
so then why do people even bother going to schools like NYU, Columbia, GW, or Northwestern, and pay those outrageous tuition bills, when in the end...they'll be in no better shape than someone who went to Slippery Rock?

so then why do people even bother going to schools like NYU, Columbia, GW, or Northwestern, and pay those outrageous tuition bills, when in the end...they'll be in no better shape than someone who went to Slippery Rock?

location, clinicals, resources, etc. That's why I chose one of those schools you mentioned. Point is, it's each person's choice and should be based on what each person is looking for in a program. The schools you mentioned above have some of the best hospitals in the world associated with them which is an awesome resource to have. You're question has been asked a ton of times on this site and the answer is personal preference.

OK so this is an old "does school matter" post, and the quickest I can search for. I dont know if this should be moved to the other forum or not as I am asking both applicants and current practicing PTs. This question has been asked repeatedly, and shame on me for asking, but heres my situation.

Does the school matter if.....the school lost it's accreditation not too long ago (I've heard in '09 and '10), but recently got it back? Will potential employers look at this, or do they still only care if you have a current license or not.

Would this be a red flag for choosing for a program (meant for applicants but anyone please answer)

Last edited:
Interesting that you searched for an old thread rather than creating a new one, hehe...

Anyways, as far as employment goes I'm sure that all they (being employers) care about is that you have a license to practice PT and then make their own judgment if they want to hire you based on your interview with them. At least that is what some of the people in charge of hiring at the clinic I work at has told me.

As for the school losing accreditation, that would be a red flag for me. If it was my only choice, I would take the risk, but if I had other choices I would probably go to another school to be safe. Another question you should ask is if they got their accreditation back, how long does it last and what happens if they lose it while your in school? It's obviously your choice, but you don't want to get stuck holding the short straw.