All Branch Topic (ABT) Does GI bill force in-state tuition at OOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyatethem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical junior enlisted army, getting out and not applying hpsp. I don't know if I'll be able to matriculate this year, still preparing my personal statement and everything but this is a question that has been on my mind. If I get into a OOS public DO school would the GI bill enable me to be treated as in-state for purposes of tuition, or does that rule not apply to medical/graduate schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge, which may not be correct, the Post 9/11 GI Bill alone does not guarantee in state tuition. Being on active duty does force in state tuition, which is beneficial for the Navy HSCP people. So you want either your in state school or a school that participates in the Yellow Ribbon program (ideally).

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge, which may not be correct, the Post 9/11 GI Bill alone does not guarantee in state tuition. Being on active duty does force in state tuition, which is beneficial for the Navy HSCP people. So you want either your in state school or a school that participates in the Yellow Ribbon program (ideally).

Thanks, I'm starting to think I was optimistic on that count. I guess I'll actually have to wait and see, and hope my state school considers me. If I am offered any type of choice in medical education, price is going to have a major say, and well, I was just hoping things would be easy.

See the thread in my signature. It does not answer your question, but can inform you of things many of us did not know.

This is amazing! I don't qualify voc rehab, but that thread is gold. The HPSP offer through the VA sounds 10 times better to me, but I'll have to see what sort of requirements they have and pay and location specifics. I continue to learn that I don't know ****. Thanks for sharing!

As of last year, GI bill qualifies you for in state tution at ANY OOS institution assuming you have been out of service for less than 2(?) years. I know because I am using it right now and it is a great deal!

As of last year, GI bill qualifies you for in state tution at ANY OOS institution assuming you have been out of service for less than 2(?) years. I know because I am using it right now and it is a great deal!

Not that I don't believe you, but it would be great if you could post a source so I could refer other people to it when the question comes up.

Not that I don't believe you, but it would be great if you could post a source so I could refer other people to it when the question comes up.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113hr3230enr/pdf/BILLS-113hr3230enr.pdf

See section 702. It was lumped under the "Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014".

Basically, the law mandates state schools to charge IS tuition to veterans or not be eligible for VA benefits. It would be politically unwise for any state school to refuse education to veterans so I imagine all school are complying.

So I guess the answer is not as simple as "yes" but most people should be good to go.

Last edited:
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113hr3230enr/pdf/BILLS-113hr3230enr.pdf

See section 702. It was lumped under the "Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014".

Basically, the law mandates state schools to charge IS tuition to veterans or not be eligible for VA benefits. It would be politically unwise for any state school to refuse education to veterans so I imagine all school are complying.

So I guess the answer is not as simple as "yes" but most people should be good to go.

Wow, that is awesome. Thanks for citing it too.

Another question: does GI bill transfer affect MSP or the new equivalent? You have to sign on for 4 more years for transfer.

I haven't seen anything suggesting the terms for the GI Bill transfer are changing, at least with regard to obligation. It's a four year ADSO served concurrently with all other obligations.

I haven't seen anything suggesting the terms for the GI Bill transfer are changing, at least with regard to obligation. It's a four year ADSO served concurrently with all other obligations.

from my understanding technically it is not an ADSO as we think of an ADSO. if you don't serve the requisite time, you simply can't transfer the benefit. you don't sign any contract when you transfer. if you are obligation free and apply to transfer, you can still walk whenever you want (but won't get the GI bill transferred until you get your 4th year in).

also- as long as your initial request is in, you can add additional dependents to the transfer without resetting the 4 year clock. so if you have a baby a month before you get out at the 4 year mark, they're still good.

--your friendly neighborhood transfer complete (the good deal, not the watered down one they are instituting) caveman

Reactions: 1 user