Does everyone here like spicy food??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

Premedtomed

I cannot stand it!
I love sweets especially "kaju katri" (I am a gujju) and I am eating it right now :D

Members don't see this ad.

Bring on the Chicken Tikka Masala yo!! :D Or the Kadhai Gosht! Man, I didn't eat anything in like 13 hours... but for some reason I am not feeling hungry... weird huh?

I love spicy food............so much..I can not stand anything sweet......

Members don't see this ad :)
Premedtomed said:
I cannot stand it!
I love sweets especially "kaju katri" (I am a gujju) and I am eating it right now :D

Kaju katri is my fav, fav, fav, fav dish
I can go on eating for ever, it has some kind of divine taste
I just love kaju katri
Is there anybody else besides me and premedtoned who are crazy about kajukatri???
kaju_katri.jpg
mithai3.gif
kaju-katri.jpg
kazubrfi.jpg

indian-cannedchick.jpg
nimeshshingala said:
I just love kaju katri
Is there anybody else besides me and premedtoned who are crazy about kajukatri???
kaju_katri.jpg
mithai3.gif
kaju-katri.jpg
kazubrfi.jpg

Premedtomed said:
I cannot stand it!
My room mate is gujju....she adds sugar to everything.....very curry :scared:

^ speaking of sweet things in curries, I can't stand raisins in my food!!

sunny123 said:
Have you ever tried Kashmiri Naan? It has raisins and tastes really good.
Trust me

meetlife said:
My room mate is gujju....she adds sugar to everything.....very curry :scared:

That's surprising!

Has anyone ever tried gujarati specialty called "oondhiya"
It's like Chole/Paneer Makahani of the Punjabis

nimeshshingala said:
I just love kaju katri
kaju_katri.jpg
mithai3.gif
kaju-katri.jpg
kazubrfi.jpg

Kaju katri's the best
has anyone ever eaten "Cham cham", rasagulla (Bengali sweetdish, yes that means a cute Bengali girl as well :laugh: )

sunny123 said:
Same Here!!!I usually end up eat nothing at marriages cos of this.

I like kheer my mom makes.....I just eat a spoon or two.

sunny123 said:

Me too gross !

I just love food in general lol spicy, sweet sour... I love it all ! :) Even though after living in the dorms my taste buds are not used to the spicy spicy indian food so I can't eat really really spicy food without crying ....but I still enjoy it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't eat spicy food at all (even though I'm Indian). My nose starts running and I literally start to get all teary-eyed. I'm guju and my fav sweet dish is Shriken (sp?). Not a huge fan of kaju katri though (uh oh :eek: ). This may sound weird but I don't like tea/chai either, more of a milk person. My friends sometimes wonder if I'm really Indian or not. haha :p

So I guess I'm not alone in my hatred of raisins lol... :D

And rxgal, what is Shriken? A combo between shrimp and chicken?

rxgal8 said:
I can't eat spicy food at all (even though I'm Indian). My nose starts running and I literally start to get all teary-eyed. I'm guju and my fav sweet dish is Shriken (sp?). Not a huge fan of kaju katri though (uh oh :eek: ). This may sound weird but I don't like tea/chai either, more of a milk person. My friends sometimes wonder if I'm really Indian or not. haha :p

I don't like tea either... actually i pretty much hate it! I love coffee though. I don't know how my parents drink tea three times a day.

sunny123 said:
So I guess I'm not alone in my hatred of raisins lol... :D

And rxgal, what is Shriken? A combo between shrimp and chicken?
lol...it's made with sugar and yoghurt (I think). I only know how to eat it, not make it (that's what moms are for) :p

nimeshshingala said:
I just love kaju katri
kaju_katri.jpg
mithai3.gif
kaju-katri.jpg
kazubrfi.jpg
ok i dont exactly know what"kaju katri "is...but frm what the picture looks like,,is it same as burfi or east indian"sandesh"??
Anyways,,,u guys really make me ....????no words :p

I am not a big fan of sandesh (too dry for me). My favs are rasmallai, rasogolla, and gulab jamun. What was the one that is made with kheer? I think they fried that one. Anyways, I was forced to eat that one cause my dad loves it. Cause y'know, if one of your parents liked something, you HAVE to love it.

Haven't had Gulab Jamun for a long time man!

Probably this weekend.

Do you guys realize how unhealthy our sweets are?

Let's see what Sunny has to say :cool:

Premedtomed said:
Do you guys realize how unhealthy our sweets are?

Let's see what Sunny has to say :cool:

most of the stuff that tastes good is unhealthy :) whether it is indian or not

Well Sunny says, stay away from sweets, until it is your wedding day (then you'll be eating enough for a lifetime). Sunny agrees with you premed, because our staple in sweets is regular butter, and modified (ghee), using cheese, then fried, then using the same oil to cook everything else. Even our food (well the stuff they sell in restaurants).

My household is different when it comes to Indian food and sweets, because we eat healthy in order to prevent the onset of any coronary diseases. We don't just use vegetable oil (ie. canola), we use Olive oil instead. We use margarine instead of butter (and light margarine at that). We drink skim milk too (and no, there is nothing wrong with the taste :p ). Eat a couple of sweets a month (or every other month), don't go overboard like this guy:

cbg.jpg

Skim milk!!!! Is that even milk??

Also, I think us Indians, generally care less about our physical well-being.

In India, as the middle class is getting bigger, it is getting fatter.
Feel hungry, eat a "jalebi", which is available everywhere.

Today' s youth has more money to spend and no one really cares about the
health factor!

Premedtomed said:

health factor!

common premed
I totally disagree with you
I think today's youth in India is getting even more heath conscious than ever before in the past
they have more money to spend - yes that is true but they also have more access to information and they know what is right and what is wrong for their health
Also if you notice , the bollywood stars of today are more physically fit that the bollywood stars of the past
these people set out the trend and today's youth in india do get inspired by them
they want to look good and feel good
they are also getting taller than the past generations
by the way "jalebi" is great but I get freaked out when I touch it with all that oily surface on the top
for those who don't know what I am talking about , here is a pic of jalebi
jalebi.jpg

DoctorMalki said:
I don't like tea either... actually i pretty much hate it! I love coffee though. I don't know how my parents drink tea three times a day.
Ha..ha..ha....I drink tea 6 times a day.....love it....I live on tea....when stressed women go on shopping sprees....I drink tea..tea..tea...less sugear and elaichi....

Premedtomed said:

health factor!
No....we eat pizza....

Premedtomed said:

health factor!
Of course it is milk, just minus the fat! I dunno about the middle class resident indians, but over here, everyone seems to be pretty health conscious. For example, one of my punjabi friends takes a napkin to soak up all the oil that is on top of her pizza. :p

meetlife said:
I love spicy food............so much..I can not stand anything sweet......
:thumbup: :thumbup: I too am crazy about it......Spicy food,with a dash of lemon is one of the best thing that happened to this world!!!! ;)

DoctorMalki said:
I believe drinking tea 3-4 times a day is a typical feature of Indians :D :D

parasiteatwork said:
I believe drinking tea 3-4 times a day is a typical feature of Indians :D :D
Atleast I outnumber that....

Nimeshji, that percentage of people is still small. Yes, people are becoming more aware. But, you have to realize our food is usually very unhealthy i.e. the stuff you buy from vendors/small shops.

At that level, there is no such thing as "prescribed calories" or even "calories"

sunny123 said:
Of course it is milk, just minus the fat! I dunno about the middle class resident indians, but over here, everyone seems to be pretty health conscious. For example, one of my punjabi friends takes a napkin to soak up all the oil that is on top of her pizza. :p

How many times per week does she eat pizza? :laugh:

BTW Nimeshji and everyone else, you can use my name "Siddharth" while referring to me/my posts ;)

Premedtomed said:
BTW Nimeshji and everyone else, you can use my name "Siddharth" while referring to me/my posts ;)

ok siddharth
and by the way you can call me "nimesh" and not NIMESHJI

Please Help me.....
How do we make "Sandesh?"
I like it cos its not very sweet......
Thanks

http://www.bangalinet.com/sweets.htm

barfi1892003161431.jpg

Time Required: 1/2 hour
Here's How:

1. Ground paneer to a fine paste. Do not add water.

2. Mix sugar to the paneer paste.

3. Place the sugared paneer in a karai or small cauldron.

4. Keep stirring the mixture over medium heat.

5. When the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan, it is cooked.

6. Add the finely ground cinnamon powder and mix it thoroughly so that the flavor of cardamom is spread evenly.

7. In case the sugar and the paneer mixture becomes granular, let it cool and then stir it in the food processor.

8. Divide the mixture into round balls and flatten the top. Put raisins as toppings.
Tips:

1. The sandesh can also be patted onto a plate and cut into squares.
2. The top of the flattened sandesh, can also be decorated with crushed nuts, red rose petals, or grated chocolate.
3. Prepare a day in advance and serve chilled.

What You Need:

* 350gms of paneer or cotta
* 175gms of sugar
* 12 raisins (I wouldn't add the raisins cause I hate'm)
* 2 pods of cardamom

sunny123 said:
http://www.bangalinet.com/sweets.htm

barfi1892003161431.jpg

Time Required: 1/2 hour
Here's How:

1. Ground paneer to a fine paste. Do not add water.

2. Mix sugar to the paneer paste.

3. Place the sugared paneer in a karai or small cauldron.

4. Keep stirring the mixture over medium heat.

5. When the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan, it is cooked.

6. Add the finely ground cinnamon powder and mix it thoroughly so that the flavor of cardamom is spread evenly.

7. In case the sugar and the paneer mixture becomes granular, let it cool and then stir it in the food processor.

8. Divide the mixture into round balls and flatten the top. Put raisins as toppings.
Tips:

1. The sandesh can also be patted onto a plate and cut into squares.
2. The top of the flattened sandesh, can also be decorated with crushed nuts, red rose petals, or grated chocolate.
3. Prepare a day in advance and serve chilled.

What You Need:

* 350gms of paneer or cotta
* 175gms of sugar
* 12 raisins (I wouldn't add the raisins cause I hate'm)
* 2 pods of cardamom
wow,sunny thanks a lot.... :thumbup: