Does every MD School require a separate MPN? I have not made a final decision on the school, and I have never applied for loans before.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OntheRightPath

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thank you so much for reading my post.

I have never taken out loans before, and therefore, I am very confused. I got accepted into multiple MD schools (*blessed, not bragging), and I was wondering if each of them required a separate MPN for each type of loan. I submitted an MPN for one school, and when I wanted to do the same for another school, it still showed the first school name in there, as if it would delete this school if I put in another one.

Can someone please clarify how MPNs work? Will the second MD school see that I completed an MPN if I did not list it on the application?

Also, can I cancel my MPN if I find out that I do not need the loan?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone and thank you so much for reading my post.

I have never taken out loans before, and therefore, I am very confused. I got accepted into multiple MD schools (*blessed, not bragging), and I was wondering if each of them required a separate MPN for each type of loan. I submitted an MPN for one school, and when I wanted to do the same for another school, it still showed the first school name in there, as if it would delete this school if I put in another one.

Can someone please clarify how MPNs work? Will the second MD school see that I completed an MPN if I did not list it on the application?

Also, can I cancel my MPN if I find out that I do not need the loan?

Thank you very much.

This may not be helpful, but I did not remember this being an issue. When I was at this point, I remember there was a day I had to commit to one medical school. After that, I began discussions about the direct unsubsidized loans with the medical school I had chosen. I'm curious as to why this is something you're doing before you've chosen a school?

Reactions: 1 user
I am not sure if this is the case, but I just want to see the full financial aid picture, and It seems like this way I will be able to see it before I need to make a final decision on a school. But again, I have no idea what I am doing.

The FinAid office at one of the schools told me that those loans can be canceled or adjusted at any point.
This may not be helpful, but I did not remember this being an issue. When I was at this point, I remember there was a day I had to commit to one medical school. After that, I began discussions about the direct unsubsidized loans with the medical school I had chosen. I'm curious as to why this is something you're doing before you've chosen a school?

I am not sure if this is the case, but I just want to see the full financial aid picture, and It seems like this way I will be able to see it before I need to make a final decision on a school. But again, I have no idea what I am doing.

The FinAid office at one of the schools told me that those loans can be canceled or adjusted at any point.
Ah, I see. For me the tuition's were drastically different so I didn't have to do that. If all you're doing is filling out paperwork to get an estimate of your loan, I would assume you wouldn't need to worry about the prospect of committing to two separate schools. Why not call the FinAid office tomorrow and see? When I was applying, schools automatically knew if you were holding two acceptances so this shouldn't affect anything in admissions. Not too sure about this. Maybe someone else can better advise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your feedback in any case. I appreciate it. I guess what I am worried about most, is getting all financial information before the decision deadline. You are most likely right regarding the loans. Since they are Federal, submitting them to one school or another should not really make a difference, since they will probably be the same, but will only be applied to the school I actually end up choosing.
Ah, I see. For me the tuition's were drastically different so I didn't have to do that. If all you're doing is filling out paperwork to get an estimate of your loan, I would assume you wouldn't need to worry about the prospect of committing to two separate schools. Why not call the FinAid office tomorrow and see? When I was applying, schools automatically knew if you were holding two acceptances so this shouldn't affect anything in admissions. Not too sure about this. Maybe someone else can better advise.

I have the same situation as well. One of the school require I complete them before seeing my financial aid reward. Now, I got into a different school with better financial aid reward package and I am stuck with the question: if I already completed the MPN, Direct and Direct+ loan entrance counselling form for a different school, do I have to do an entire different set for a new school, or can I carry it over?

• Care
I have the same situation as well. One of the school require I complete them before seeing my financial aid reward. Now, I got into a different school with better financial aid reward package and I am stuck with the question: if I already completed the MPN, Direct and Direct+ loan entrance counselling form for a different school, do I have to do an entire different set for a new school, or can I carry it over?
Let's keep each other posted on how it goes if we get any info.