Does Chairman's Letter count as rec letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cameron

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of requesting recommendation letters from faculty and was wondering if the pediatric chairman's letter counts as a recommendation letter. I've noticed that most programs require 3 recommendation letters and I'm trying to figure out if I need 2 in addition to the letter from the peds chair that we get automatically or if I need 3. Anyone? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

it usually counts as one of the three unless they specifically specify that they want a chairman's letter and three others. a lot of people don't use the chairman's letter cause they can be pretty superficial unless you knew them well. its better to have three letters from people who know you well than a big wig who doesn't know much and will just reiterate your grades and evals. good luck! :)

michigangirl said:
it usually counts as one of the three unless they specifically specify that they want a chairman's letter and three others. a lot of people don't use the chairman's letter cause they can be pretty superficial unless you knew them well. its better to have three letters from people who know you well than a big wig who doesn't know much and will just reiterate your grades and evals. good luck! :)

Hey Cameron. Yeah, you should get 3-4 letters from attendings you worked directly under. In addition, the peds department (McIlroy and Hansen) will write you a chairman's letter. For the programs that specify you need a chairman's letter, obviously send that. If they don't specify, use your other letters. I'd focus on getting 2 good letters from 3rd year (at least one peds), maybe another as a backup, but plan on including one from an early 4th year rotation (like a sub-I) if the rotation is conducive to LORs. All the letters go to Jane Trask, and later at your leisure you can decide which programs should receive copies of which LORs (i.e. there is no problem with requesting an unlimited number of LORs that you decide later not to use because you think you've got better ones).

By the way, when you ask for LORs, try to phrase it like "Would you be able to write me a strong letter of recommendation?" One good way is to ask, "Do you think you know me well enough to write me a strong letter of recommendation?" Although it's hard to get up the gumption to phrase it like that, it is absolutely OK to do it. This reminds the person that if they aren't going to write you a great letter, they shouldn't write one at all. This way, they have an easy out by saying, "No, I don't think I know you well enough" without insulting you to your face. When they agree, you can rest easier knowing that they'll write really good things about you and you won't worry about what's being said about you. People who write letters frequently know that they shouldn't agree unless they'll write very good things, and they should say "Maybe you should find someone who knows you a little better" which can be translated as, "A LOR from me would do you more harm than good."

Good luck with the applications, LORs, etc.

bpkurtz

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing my ERAS now, and I can't figure out what pograms require a Chairman's Letter. FREIDA says nothing. Also, FREIDA mention "required letters," does thies mean no more and no less?

PSU2002 said:
I'm doing my ERAS now, and I can't figure out what pograms require a Chairman's Letter. FREIDA says nothing. Also, FREIDA mention "required letters," does thies mean no more and no less?

Go to their websites. If it doesnt say, call the residency office at the school and ask. I have called and they all have been very nice. They dont ask you your name or anything so you dont have to worry about being annoying and it hurting your chances for residency or anything like that.

I used my dept chair's letter as one of my 3 LOR's. Don't worry, most programs don't care, they just want to read a letter that verifies you are a hardworker, dependable, and normal.

Good luck!

I have three letters plus a chairman's letter. He's worked with me before, but I'm not sure how strong the letter will be. Should I just send all of the places 4 letters?