Does anyone know anything about medical review officers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forchinet121

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi I’m interested in learning more about medical review officers (the doctors that certify drug tests) it seems no one knows much about this and I was hoping to talk to an occupational medicine doctor since they are primarily the field that deals with this and it also seems there’s no forum for them on here and no one knows much about that field either. I’m pretty passionate about drug screening so wanted to see if anyone knew how I could connect with an occupational med doctor or an MRO? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I’m interested in learning more about medical review officers (the doctors that certify drug tests) it seems no one knows much about this and I was hoping to talk to an occupational medicine doctor since they are primarily the field that deals with this and it also seems there’s no forum for them on here and no one knows much about that field either. I’m pretty passionate about drug screening so wanted to see if anyone knew how I could connect with an occupational med doctor or an MRO? Thanks
I can't help you here, but the bolded is one of the weirdest statements I've read in 15+ years on SDN.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Caveat, I don't do MRO work.

MRO is specialty non-specific like medicolegal work, wound care, hyperbaric, insurance exams, and independent medical exam work. It's not really a medical specialty in and of itself. Any physician that wants to do it can go take a weekend training course, pass the exam, and hang up their hat. Occ Med tends to do it a lot because it naturally flows out of their other work and relationships with employers.

People get drug tested. If they fail the test, the MRO reviews the file to see if there is a prescribed medication causing the positive result. It's relatively mundane bureaucratic work.

Reactions: 1 users
Caveat, I don't do MRO work.

MRO is specialty non-specific like medicolegal work, wound care, hyperbaric, insurance exams, and independent medical exam work. It's not really a medical specialty in and of itself. Any physician that wants to do it can go take a weekend training course, pass the exam, and hang up their hat. Occ Med tends to do it a lot because it naturally flows out of their other work and relationships with employers.

People get drug tested. If they fail the test, the MRO reviews the file to see if there is a prescribed medication causing the positive result. It's relatively mundane bureaucratic work.
Of all you listed, hyperbarics and undersea medicine is an accredited fellowship.

Reactions: 1 users
Of all you listed, hyperbarics and undersea medicine is an accredited fellowship.

While true, the field seems to still be accessible without the fellowship - positions still seem available to people with only the 40 hour introductory course and a desire to do it (typically rolled into a general wound care practice). Palliative care is similar but I left it off because I think it's closer to the point where you really need to the fellowship to get into the field.

check out the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine resources and website. They have some discussion boards that would be a useful place to post your questions.