All Branch Topic (ABT) Does anyone have information re. overseas civilian contractor positions for general dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are civilians being hired overseas (i.e. Germany) to treat our service members? Does anyone here have any experience personally, or know someone who has done this?

Members don't see this ad.

They do hire, although limited. The pay is not great though.

Thank you for your response- do you know what the average salary is for someone in such a position?

Members don't see this ad :)
Typically if you are 63A equivalent - GS12, near top step, plus the locality pay. You can google the actual $s.

Typically if you are 63A equivalent - GS12, near top step, plus the locality pay. You can google the actual $s.

Great, thank you. I googled around trying to find more information on these positions (where they are, what type of dentist they want, etc.). I checked USAjobs as well as multiple websites that hire the dentists to work overseas. I haven't found anything detailed so far- are there any resources that you suggest?

The usajobs website would be the primary source. The positions you are looking for are rare nowadays, especially if you are an "outsider." With the military downsizing, even the existing contractors are being terminated. Getting a GS position would be even more difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
So what are the chances of one being able to stay as a civilian general dentist after getting out of the navy at say, Okinawa or elsewhere in Japan? None, or extremely slim?

You can always get another random job on post - I know a guy that loved Germany (plus married a German lady, his kids identified as German) so much that he, after finishing 25yrs, got some manager job at the commissary

Edit: LOL, probably totally unrelated to the OP... but, you know, fun story