does anyone do research while in med school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trapperjohn

Trapper John
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm about to start m1 year, and i've been getting mixed responses on this subject. almost all competitive specialties seem to want some kind of research or publication, but almost every older med student/resident i've talked to said course work is too demanding to spend time doing research during med school. i have decided not to do research my M1 year and apply to do research over the summer afterward. but i know that 3 months wouldnt be NEARLY enough time to establish anything significant or get in on a publication and i assume my M2, 3, and 4th years will be just as (if not more) time consuming then M1 year. my question is, who actually does research during medical school, how do you find the time, and in the overall big picture is it really worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

trapperjohn said:
i'm about to start m1 year, and i've been getting mixed responses on this subject. almost all competitive specialties seem to want some kind of research or publication, but almost every older med student/resident i've talked to said course work is too demanding to spend time doing research during med school. i have decided not to do research my M1 year and apply to do research over the summer afterward. but i know that 3 months wouldnt be NEARLY enough time to establish anything significant or get in on a publication and i assume my M2, 3, and 4th years will be just as (if not more) time consuming then M1 year. my question is, who actually does research during medical school, how do you find the time, and in the overall big picture is it really worth it?

sorry, i posted this in the wrong section. i re-posted it in the general allopathic section