Does anyone bill for psychological testing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atreides

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I use the CAT-A for all my ADHD intakes. I've just been eating the cost and considering it part of my overhead. However, I was wondering if I could bill one of the psychological testing codes for this? 96136? 96130?

Members don't see this ad.

96127 is probably going to be the one that'll actually get reimbursed and hold up in an audit but you'll get paid like 5 bucks from my experience. Better than nothing though lol.

I'm not sure you can bill the codes above with an E+M or 90792. Also codes above probably won't hold up in an audit, since 96136 is "two or more tests" and 96130 is supposed to be at least 31 minutes worth of time (although you might be able to justify that one, depending on how long your intake is) but in an audit I would assume they would expect that your E+M time for the 99204 or whatever you're billing would be considered separate from the 96130 time.

You need prior authorization for psychological testing. Most insurances do not consider psychological or neuropsychological testing medically necessary for ADHD diagnosis (which is why this assessment is usually cash only). Most insurance companies consider that the diagnosis should be made based on patient and collateral interviews, parent or teach rating scales (for children), self-report and collateral rating scales (for adults) and for adults some measure of childhood symptoms (e.g. Vanderbilt) alone. Many insurance companies don't consider IQ testing to be medically necessary even though it can be quite important as part of your ADHD assessment in this era where people think stimulants will increase their capabilities for levels of study they don't have the requisite intelligence for. The coverage exceptions would be for diagnostically complex cases (e.g. pts with TBI, epilepsy, or multiple psychiatric diagnoses). 96136 requires using at least 2 psychological tests so wouldn't apply here anyway.

If you want to use something like that (which I think is totally reasonable), I would just charge the pt cash for that part of the assessment. I usually charge an additional $1000-1500 for my assessments if I am also including evaluation of ADHD.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I use the CAT-A for all my ADHD intakes. I've just been eating the cost and considering it part of my overhead. However, I was wondering if I could bill one of the psychological testing codes for this? 96136? 96130?
96146 is, what I would imagine, you are actually doing though?

Most MCOs will require a PA for this. I think its like 30 something dollars and you would need to document "medical necessity" of this following your 90792.

Last edited:
96146 is, what I would imagine, you are actually doing though?

Most MCOs will require a PA for this. I think its like 30 something dollars and you would need to document "medical necessity" of this following your 90792.
medicare reimburses about $2 for 96146

Reactions: 1 user
medicare reimburses about $2 for 96146
Thx. Not worth it then.

Do a structured interview and get collateral and use clinical judgment. Attention deficits on tests given in controlled office conditions are not part of the criteria for AD/HD anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user