Does any have a sample Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baker2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these? A dentist I shadowed told me to write the letter of rec and they would make minor changes as seen fit. Having a template or example of some sort would be great. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is the chance where you can really set yourself apart from others by customizing a LOR to tell adcoms exactly what you want them to know about you, or you can foolishly copy one from others.

First decide what you want adcoms to know about you, and then write it from your dentists point of view. Dont read LORs from others.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the chance where you can really set yourself apart from others by customizing a LOR to tell adcoms exactly what you want them to know about you, or you can foolishly copy one from others.

First decide what you want adcoms to know about you, and then write it from your dentists point of view. Dont read LORs from others.

LOR = Letter of Recommendation. I <could> be mistaken, but it sounds to me like you're assuming an "LOR" is the "personal statement."

LOR = Letter of Recommendation. I <could> be mistaken, but it sounds to me like you're assuming an "LOR" is the "personal statement."

lmao... no, Im sure slm meant LOR.

Well see now I'm confused. Slm stated "This is the chance where you can really set yourself apart from others by customizing a LOR to tell adcoms exactly what you want them to know about you, or you can foolishly copy one from others."

Since when are we allowed to "customize" letters of recommendation? Are they not simply written by the Professor/Dentist/Spiritual Leader/Employer?

When he said "set yourself apart from others by customizing", I really thought of "personal statement", which is something you definitely wouldn't want to copy off the net or use someone else's.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong....lol...:oops:

OHHHHHHHHHHH, nevermind. I just read the initial post. The Dentist asked the OP to write the LOR himself, and that the Dentist would make changes as he saw fit.

MybadMybadMybadMybadMybad....

UCSD1984 said: Since when are we allowed to "customize" letters of recommendation? Are they not simply written by the Professor/Dentist/Spiritual Leader/Employer?
read what the OP said. He is writing his own LOR

Baker2010 said: Does anyone have one of these? A dentist I shadowed told me to write the letter of rec and they would make minor changes as seen fit.

But let me clarify:

IMO if you ever ask someone to write you a LOR, you should know what you want them to say about you. You can influence what they say in the way that you ask them. You can flat out ask them to write about specific traits of yours.

For example, when I asked a gen chem prof to write me a LOR i asked him in person right after i finished the course, kept in touch with him and a year later I wrote him a letter formally asking him to write me a LOR. In the letter I thanked him for helping me develop specific skills that would prepare me for dental school
(because I essentially wanted him to go on an mention how he has seen me develop and prepare for dental school). It makes it very easy for the LOR writer to recall your characteristics and you can influence what attributes they mention about you. I wrote personalized letters to my professors, community service supervisor, and dentist because I wanted them to all focus on different characteristics.

None of my 4 LOR writers asked me to go ahead and write the letter for them. I feel I did a good job providing each of them with material, experiences that we shared together, etc... to write about or at least guide their thoughts toward positive personality traits.

Thus, you can influence what the LOR writers say about you without saying "hey will you say XXXXXXX about me?"

Copying general stuff from a template is pointless, does you no good, and is a missed opportunity.

OHHHHHHHHHHH, nevermind. I just read the initial post. The Dentist asked the OP to write the LOR himself, and that the Dentist would make changes as he saw fit.

MybadMybadMybadMybadMybad....

there you go.

There's been a few of these threads. Search does wonders. Long story short, just write about what your pros are.