Does an optometrist LOR have to be one that you shadowed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

London22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm requesting some of my LORs currently so that I can get my applications submitted soon. I have 2 optometrists in mind, although I technically did not shadow either of them. (Worked often with them though)

NECO mentions that they require a shadowed optometrist LOR on their website. This got me to wondering if this is the trend towards schools when they require optometrist letters? Would they be picky about my letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm requesting some of my LORs currently so that I can get my applications submitted soon. I have 2 optometrists in mind, although I technically did not shadow either of them.

One I worked with as an ophthalmic technician, he is an OD although super busy since he has a newborn. I think I might hold off on asking him due to not wanting to bug him at this moment.
The other works at the current cl company I work for. She is part of our research & development and is an OD PhD. She's really supportive and helps me out with any of my technical related questions in the field.

NECO mentions that they require a shadowed optometrist LOR on their website. This got me to wondering if this is the trend towards schools when they require optometrist letters? Would they be picky about my letter?

As my background I've been working in optometry related jobs for ~4 years now. I now currently work for a major contact lens company and definitely feel she would properly support my background within the recommendation, it's just the shadowing part that I'm missing.
Unfortunately I can't shadow them because I am too far away from one of them, and the other is constantly traveling around to different countries.
I think with a question like this you can always just ask the school directly especially since it seems like it only applies specifically to NECO.

Unrelated, do you know how the optometrist in R&D got her degrees? Was is through the a dual track like the one offered at NECO? And what does her job consist of, if appropriate to discuss here?

Hello,

I was in the same boat as you, I emailed NECO and asked if they would accept my LOR from an optometrist I had worked for as an optometric assistant and they said it was fine!