Does a prep course count towards a prerequisite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DL757200

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So at my University, before you can take General Chemistry I and II, you are required to take the prerequisite General Chemistry Prep course which is worth 5 credits and has an accompanying lab. I’ve noticed most medical schools are pretty vague in that they don’t state the specific courses they require and instead ask for one year or two semesters of inorganic chemistry. I’ve already taken the General Chemistry prep course and Chemistry I, essentially giving me 10 credits in inorganic chemistry. Would this meet the 1 year/2 semester requirement for Inorganic Chem? Any advice appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

So at my University, before you can take General Chemistry I and II, you have to take General Chemistry Prep which is a 5 credit course and has an accompanying lab. I’ve noticed most medical schools are pretty vague in that they don’t state the specific courses they require and instead ask for one year or general chemistry or 2 semesters. I’ve already taken the General Chemistry prep course and Chemistry I, does this meet the 1 year/2 semester requirement for General Chem? Any advice appreciated! :)
You'd have to ask the schools directly, but it seems unlikely. Gen Chem is the same everywhere, and is required as a foundation to be successful in med school. If your school requires a pre-class to get you ready for Gen Chem, it's hard to see how that would provide you with the foundation necessary to succeed. Your prep class sounds like it is remedial in nature. If so, no, it won't satisfy the prereq requirement, just because it has chem in the name and has 5 credits.

Basically, you need Chem I and Chem II. You have Pre-Chem and Chem I. Not the same thing, even though they both require one year to complete.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t skip chem 2 before going to organic, you’re gonna need it, even if the prep course gives you excess chemistry credits.

Reactions: 2 users
My school had something similar, but you could test out of it and go straight to Chem I. You def want to take Gen Chem I and II regardless.