Does a poor interview with the PD sink you if the others went well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inasaur

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a pretty bad interview with the PD, but I really connected with one of their highly respected faculty. I ended up matching at this program.
So the answer is no.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with both responses above. Just coming across a bit awkward in one interview (even with the PD) likely is not too bad, especially when other interviews went well. And I second enjoying your fourth year before intern year starts! MS4 is a good chance to actually relax and enjoy life a bit.

At my program, this happened sometimes. Usually, if most people liked the candidate and the PD didn't, the PD ranked according to the wisdom of the crowds and wouldn't over-rule us or anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

Doesn't matter and can't do anything about it now. Move on. Also take your premed stats off your signature, it doesn't matter anymore either.

Reactions: 1 user
It is very individualized. How awkward?

Mildly awkward and I wouldn’t think twice about it. Learn and move on.

Severely awkward and crying in the interview? That can be detrimental to the point of not being ranked.

Awkward is on a spectrum.

Reactions: 3 users