Docusate oral solution and other OTCs found behind the pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drock008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is docusate oral solution still considered OTC or a legend drug? I work in the retail setting and a customer asked me if they could purchase some. Would you be able to still sell it? Not only that, but additionally would that apply to regular insulin too? Guess I get side tracked with selling Rx only meds that are located behind my pharmacy. Has anyone ever encountered this? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

1566446832665.png

OTC...more commonly I will have people looking for more specific versions of iron salts or bulk 473mL size of Ferrous sulfate liquid. Have had a handful of people ask for regular insulin and NPH (usually traveling or emergency situation/usual pharmacy closed). Sold as non-taxable price checked in computer (doesn't always scan @ register).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're unsure you can lookup in Clinical Pharm "How Supplied" section. If this is CVS go to Drug Info and it will also tell you.

The "old" insulins, Novolin, Humulin etc. are OTC, all the "new" insulins are RX only.
With the exception of the insulins, you can tell if something is OTC, because it will have all the required consumer information on the bottle.

Reactions: 1 user
Rx/Legend symbol will appear on product, also in computer system F3 (legend/RX or OTC) for CVS computer system at least

Will occasionally have dumb@$$ people try to convince me they can buy normal saline nebulizer solution & nebulizer device OTC when it clearly has Rx only on the product (thank you Amazon for selling questionable nebulizer devices).

Then this one clown tries to tell me promethazine can be purchased OTC because his Dr. said so...(cracking up on the inside). Moral of the story, don't take **** from clowns, they are likely drug addicts trying to mess with your psyche

Last edited:
The bewildering ones are those who want to pay 100+ for Humulin instead of Novolin @ $24.88/vial.

Don't really get the militant Armour Thyroid types working in a "no-go zone" for rich white people

The bewildering ones are those who want to pay 100+ for Humulin instead of Novolin @ $24.88/vial.

Working 7 years as pharmacist and it has exactly happened once when someone bought otc Humulin for the full price.

I even tried to talk her out of it but she wouldn’t budge. Oh well..