Doctors without borders alternatives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I am interested in doing some sort of overseas mission work. I have done some short 1 week stints, but am looking for something a little bit longer (in the terms of a few months). Unfortunately Doctors without Borders now requires their pharmacists to speak French, which, well, I don't and won't be learning anytime soon.

In my short stints we mainly did outpatient visits, basically putting a bandaid on a bullet hole type of situations - I would love to work in more of an hospital field/hospital environment. Anybody have experience with an organization to start looking into? I would either do this as a leave of absence from work if they allow, or I may be looking at moving, and could do this between jobs. Doctors without borders does pay (albiet not a lot, but I have no loans, so not a big issue)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately Doctors without Borders now requires
Did you actually confirm this with someone? I vaguely remember one of their administrators posting to the pharmacy subreddit saying that they routinely waive that requirement.

I've been interested in doing something similar but can't justify leaving my job while I still have loans. Especially with how bad the market is.

Did you actually confirm this with someone? I vaguely remember one of their administrators posting to the pharmacy subreddit saying that they routinely waive that requirement.

I've been interested in doing something similar but can't justify leaving my job while I still have loans. Especially with how bad the market is.
I am just going by what their website says - haven't confirmed

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all - I am interested in doing some sort of overseas mission work. I have done some short 1 week stints, but am looking for something a little bit longer (in the terms of a few months). Unfortunately Doctors without Borders now requires their pharmacists to speak French, which, well, I don't and won't be learning anytime soon.

In my short stints we mainly did outpatient visits, basically putting a bandaid on a bullet hole type of situations - I would love to work in more of an hospital field/hospital environment. Anybody have experience with an organization to start looking into? I would either do this as a leave of absence from work if they allow, or I may be looking at moving, and could do this between jobs. Doctors without borders does pay (albiet not a lot, but I have no loans, so not a big issue)

Reactions: 1 user