Doctors Unionizing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeslaCoil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all this talk about midlevel encroachment, reimbursement cuts, etc, I thought this would be a nice start to enacting change. I did some reading online about doctor's unions. Actually, I discovered that there are a couple of fledgling doctors unions already. I think if more and more residents unionize and carry this over into their years as attendings, this may gain more traction. Here are some fantastic articles and resources I found:

Happy Reading! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, unfortunately. See Link #1 in top post.
That's the only thing that matters to me. We lobby to get that reversed and there will be some accountability.

Otherwise, I think we can write all the letters to congress we want and they will throw us a few scraps here and there until we die off.

I'm normally not in favor of collective bargaining but we're dealing with a monopoly here - Medicare. It's insane that Medicare can use its leverage to fix prices but we're prohibited from defending ourselves.

Reactions: 1 user
That's the only thing that matters to me. We lobby to get that reversed and there will be some accountability.

Otherwise, I think we can write all the letters to congress we want and they will throw us a few scraps here and there until we die off.

I'm normally not in favor of collective bargaining but we're dealing with a monopoly here - Medicare. It's insane that Medicare can use its leverage to fix prices but we're prohibited from defending ourselves.
You can have a go between organization advocate and negotiate for you but you cant unionize and threaten to not accept pay.

This is the one big drawback of being in a group. Otherwise, if solo I’d drop all Medicaid and Medicare advantage plans right now.

You can have a go between organization advocate and negotiate for you but you cant unionize and threaten to not accept pay.
"Advocate" yes, but "negotiate"? With Medicare?

That's like me negotiating with CocaCola asking them to change their recipe. And I'm not allowed to talk to other people about it because that would be unfair to CocaCola.

Speaking to congressmen is what stopped full implementation of medicare cuts recently…

"Advocate" yes, but "negotiate"? With Medicare?

That's like me negotiating with CocaCola asking them to change their recipe. And I'm not allowed to talk to other people about it because that would be unfair to CocaCola.

Doctors can unionize and bargain for working conditions and other "non-economic" topics, including benefits. Of course everything has an economic dimension to do it. Models to emulate are Screen Actors Guild and professional athletic players' associations.

Reading link #1.... So use of MGMA data, and the like, are antitrust violation? (When used "against" us.) How about coverage guidelines?

I saw this article on Med Reddit - some really good points

“Exploitation of doctors’ ethics” is such a good way to describe how we’re treated.

Reactions: 5 users