Doctors in Training Step 1 Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acire

Acire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about the Doctors in Training Step 1 Course (previously "What you need to know" progam). It is a live series, but also offers those lectures over the web. It is $550 and says that it uses First Aid as it's textbook. Just thought it might structure the 50 days that I have to prepare for Step 1. It also claims that the majority of the students are from Texas Med Schools, avg 226-236, and pass rate of 99.5%. Don't want to waste the limited time that I have to do my studying, but wanted to know if anyone has in any insight??!?!? Would love to hear from you!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone care to give an update of their thoughts on the course? I think I'm going to wind up buying it here shortly, but would still like to hear others' experiences.

I am using doctors in training and love it. I bought kaplan first and it bored me to death. Dr. Jenkins methods are simple. It is a nice tool to blow through FirstAid. The questions help to make sure you are not glossing over info. It is worth the 600 bucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using doctors in training and love it. I bought kaplan first and it bored me to death. Dr. Jenkins methods are simple. It is a nice tool to blow through FirstAid. The questions help to make sure you are not glossing over info. It is worth the 600 bucks.

+1, I would like to second septocain's post. I am also using Doctors in Training to study for Step 1. So far I am really enjoying it and feel it is well worth the $600. I will be better to evaluate the course after I have taken boards and get my score. However I like the way he goes over the material; questions, repetition, repetition, questions...etc. That really fits my learning style, which I feel is a key to whether someone would like this course. He also doesn't just start on pg.1 and go to p.500 of FA. He jumps around a lot which I like, however he jumps around in a manner that makes sense. So you go through biochem, pharm, micro...etc. on a daily basis and don't get overwhelmed by sitting down and trying to read through those sections straight on your own. It also gives the review course the chance to keep going back to those subjects every day and quizzing you over the material from previous days. For 3 lectures per day @ ~90min a lecture over 15 days, I feel it is a good way to get through FA fairly easily at least 2x in a month period. Gives you plenty of time to read/listen to Goljan, do questions (Dr.Jenkins not only recommends this, but basically tells you you have to), and read FA/review on your own. So far so good. I will keep updating as I continue through the course.

Has anybody used the course without having gone through first aid once prior to starting? If so, did you find it less useful?

Has anybody used the course without having gone through first aid once prior to starting? If so, did you find it less useful?

I hadn't read through FA before starting the course (I'm only on day 5 though)... I don't think it's a big disadvantage mostly b/c I remember most of this stuff from studying it in class. Of course, it is daunting to see how much I need to go back and rememorize! :scared:

my friend and i took the class together. i went through first aid once before the class but he he didn't. we both followed the rest of the program. i ended up doing better on the exam, but i think i also studied more neurotically during the class and tried to learn every single detail. anyway, we both did well (230+) but i would def recommend going through first aid once before starting the class.

btw, i recommend this class to everyone and anyone taking Step 1. i did way better on this exam than my med school grades or MCAT would have indicated and there's NO way i could have done it without taking this class.

I used DIT along with Kaplan live lectures that our school sets up for us. I have nothing but good things to say about this course...worth the $600 in my opinion. It got me through FA, which is what I mainly wanted it for. When I study, I have a terrible habit of repeatedly spacing out and daydreaming, only to come back to my senses 30 minutes later to discover I'm on the same page I started on. I did not want this to happen during board study, and DIT definitely prevented it. It keeps you engaged and constantly thinking about the material (provided you do the quizzes and such honestly). I also used UW, btw.

I ended up doing very well on the real thing (PM me if you want to know exactly what my score is). I will say though that regardless of how well you prep for this thing, nothing beats a solid foundation from your first 2 years of med school.

I used DIT and FA and thought the course was just okay. It allows you to get through First Aid fairly quickly and the quizzes constantly drill you for buzz words, but the course is lacking in mechanisms. In hindsight, I would not have done the course but rather focused more on usmleworld questions and independent review. My exam did not ask a lot of buzz word questions. My score 191/78. :(

I used DIT and FA and thought the course was just okay. It allows you to get through First Aid fairly quickly and the quizzes constantly drill you for buzz words, but the course is lacking in mechanisms. In hindsight, I would not have done the course but rather focused more on usmleworld questions and independent review. My exam did not ask a lot of buzz word questions. My score 191/78. :(

Not all DIT graduates will be success stories. i only got halfway through it because i purchased it late (i did kaplan live first at our school) and i got 230+, and i think a part of it is due to jenkins and DIT.
i would recommend it and wish i could go back and make myself finish it all.

I really enjoyed the course because it got me through FA. I haven't taken the real deal yet though so we shall see.... I am doing 230+ on practice tests though... so hopefully I don't choke! :scared:

Almost the entire course focuses on First Aid, with a little supplemental material and constant quizzing. The interactive format helped solidify some main points, which was good for me as I tend to gloss over material sometimes during my studying. Jenkins points out which subjects are guaranteed to be tested, and which ones you shouldn't even waste your time with, and I didn't feel like he misguided my studying in any way.

I studied for 6 weeks total. I did not do the weekly question sets sent out by DIT. I gave myself a little time before the course to get through First Aid once and work slowly through major problem areas (biochem/neuro), as well as a week and a half afterwards to review weaker areas again and do the final 5-day First Aid review before taking the exam. I did about half of USMLE World, but my primary study sources were definitely First Aid and DIT.

My practice NBME right after final exams was a predicted 200, and my final score was >240. My previous performance background: high pass/honors in all courses in the first 2 years, and a high MCAT score. Just to echo others - there is no replacement for working hard in the first two years.

I really liked DIT because it kept me on schedule, while allowing me plenty of time during the day to review independently. I hadn't put a lot of thought into HOW I would study for Step 1, and I started to get freaked out when my friends showed me their carefully planned schedules, detailing practically every hour of every day. With DIT, I felt secure knowing that Jenkins had been there and coached many students through the prep period, so as long as I kept up with the course, I would be in good shape for a solid review of First Aid during those 3 weeks. Jenkins is completely correct in telling you to take the exam within 2 weeks after finishing. That last week before my test I was getting burned out and studying wasn't very productive.

If the descriptions in this thread make the course sound like something you would like, then I would definitely recommend it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you watch the lectures whenever you want?

For example can I watch them half in morning, half at night?

Can I re-watch the lectures?

Can I watch more than 1 lecture in a day?

Thanks.

Can you watch the lectures whenever you want?

For example can I watch them half in morning, half at night?

Can I re-watch the lectures?

Can I watch more than 1 lecture in a day?

Thanks.

So, youre supposed to watch 3 videos in one day and there are 15 days.
Each video allows you to watch 3 times. if you want to watch half in the morning and half at night, just pause it and leave the window open and youll still only use the one viewing. each video ranges from 50 or so minutes to over 2 hours. generally you have between 3.5 hours - 4.5 hours of video to watch. you have to add time to pause the video to take his quizzes and make notes if he is going to fast for you. you can watch as many videos in one day as you want, but i would definitely watch them in order as his quizzes and videos reference to the previous videos you were supposed to have watched. The videos mimic the 3 week, 5 days a week course (15 total days) but you can watch them without taking the weekends off and be done in just over two weeks. I know some people who would watch more than one day's worth of videos and they were done in about 12 days or so. you have to do more than DIT though, you need to review on a daily basis and hit goljan and uworld. this should be good for a 230+.

Thanks. Also, can you rewind the video without it causing to count as 1 viewing?

I am thinking about his Step 2 review.

yes, you can. your viewing begins when you click on the link and the window pops up, and ends when you close the window. in between you can pause rewind, fast forward, etc. etc.

Well I finally took my step 1.

uw1: 227 before DIT (I had been doing the TAUS method, which actually went well with the DIT program)
uw2: 238 halfway through DIT
Nbme 3: 247 at the end of DIT

I felt pretty good about the exam.... a lot of things that Dr. Jenkins mentioned were spot on... eg. Lactulose mechanism of action.

I am very satisfied with the program.

Good course

UWorld, FA, RR path, DIT.

UWSA 1: 236 UWSA 2: 250

Actual 245
DIT is the way to go if you studied well first two years.

got my scores finally

uw1 few days into dit - 224
uw2 2 weeks into dit - 238
nbme 6 - 247

real deal - 237

would do it again and plan on using it for step 2.

I bought the course in April and decided I would use my vacation month of September to study. I had a 2.51 GPA my first two years without studying an exceptional amount and my school provided the Kaplan lecture course with online access. I go to a DO school and did about 500 COMLEX Qbank questions, 1500 USMLE Qbank questions (all Kaplan), then did DIT online lectures for 3 weeks and studied Savarese's OMT Review before my COMLEX on 9/9.

I did 1 NBOME and 1 NBME exam and scored around the 60th percentile for both. For the actual COMLEX, I scored a 586/88 (89th percentile). I decided to do the entire DIT online course again for the 5 days prior to my USMLE on 9/16 (12-14 hours and 3 meals of Cheerios per day). I scored a 235/98 (80?th percentile). I was very serious during the DIT course and feel like that was where the bulk of my learning came from. I am extremely pleased with my results.

I would HIGHLY recommend the course to anyone who can focus on re-enforcing seemingly 'learned' material even though their brain says "Oh, I know this", and can dedicate the time to making flashcards and pausing the online lectures to ENSURE that they understand the material. I tend to agree that memorizing FA will give you an average score and the DIT course goes above and beyond that.

Furthermore, you go ahead and quiz me about side effects of HIV drugs or the differences between RNA viruses and I'll still give you the right answer.

wow brilliant big guy, what are you, a pharmacist? i'm a medical student. nice to meet you.

no more dumb replies. only relevant ones.

I'd love to hear more opinions if anyone else has any experience with this course!

I started watching it but thought the lectures took too long. The way he has it online it seemed impossible to use the 2avx speeder with. If I could have watched them on two speed I think I would have used it more.

How long after the 15 day course should you wait before taking the test. I'm desparate to add 10-15 points to my score and am considering this course for the final push, but want to know if i should schedule it immediately before my test or leave a week or 2 for my own personal revision?

on the website it says there is a part I and II(which i believe are the videos) of the step 1 review, and you cant do one or the other you have to do both. Does that mean to i have to sign up in jan 2010 for part I to be able to get the videos in march 2010?

Captopril: I think I read on his website that you should ideally take the test with 5-12 days after you finish the course. He recommends you break FA down into 5 sections and do a section a day for 5 days straight right before the exam.

Kryptik: From what I remember about reading the course, you would enroll in say January 2010 and take the course in April 2010. From the point you register, I think he emails you questions and this is when you should be going through FA for the first time. Second time is in April 2010 where you watch the vids for 15 days and do some questions. OR if you want to start early, I think he can hook you up with all the questions and videos for 2009 in bulk, so you can do things as you please.

You should check out his website, its pretty neat actually, he has a video on there where he lays it out. I'm not sure if I'll be taking the course due to monetary issues, but I really looked into initially, so I'm pretty well read up on it.

^^ thanks, will read his website further and maybe send them an email.

Captopril: I think I read on his website that you should ideally take the test with 5-12 days after you finish the course. He recommends you break FA down into 5 sections and do a section a day for 5 days straight right before the exam.

Thanks man.

As someone who has never failed any theme in first year, but never really excelled or tried hard (i only stepped it up lately now mid way through second year), would you recommend this course to me?

I feel like I forgot a lot of stuff from first year, but I also feel like its more natural than problematic, and that review will bring it back, but I wont know until I start reviewing for sure. Do most people before they begin their step II studying not remember much from first year?

Hi everyone

I am looking for Dit ( doctors in training) videos for step 2 , i have to give me exam within 3 months, i would really appreciate if someone help me to get these videos.

I will really appreciate help, i have all material for step1 if someone needs that.

please all fellows

thanks

[email protected]

I'd like to use DIT for a structured way to review first Aid. First Aid does not really match how material it is taught in school. We've learned mostly everything in first aid (mish-moshed between years 1 and 2)...so I'm looking more for a quick review...

Recommendations from people who've taken it...when would be the best time to take the course? Our school has a mandatory Kaplan test the month prior to our exam...I'm thinking review first aid and other review books, then take course in March...then take the Kaplan course...Exams in early June

Also I am taking the COMLEX and USMLE...

I also would like some input since it is early january and this gives me enough time to properly plan my board studying schedule. My school is switching from Kaplan to DIT so essentially I have access to both programs.

My question is how long is the DIT program and what should I be doing before I start the program? I have already finished Pathoma and will be starting FA/USMLE world question slowly this week.

I also would like some input since it is early january and this gives me enough time to properly plan my board studying schedule. My school is switching from Kaplan to DIT so essentially I have access to both programs.

My question is how long is the DIT program and what should I be doing before I start the program? I have already finished Pathoma and will be starting FA/USMLE world question slowly this week.

I believe they recommend that you finish the program 1-2 weeks before your actual exam. So, it's something that you do closer to your test date.

I believe they recommend that you finish the program 1-2 weeks before your actual exam. So, it's something that you do closer to your test date.

ok sounds good. I believe the program is 4 weeks? that means if im taking the USMLE mid june, lets say 15-16, then starting the program first week of may would be good enough?