Doctors Handwriting Issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaq786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few Issues: This is a slight rant

1. As a pharmacy tech and future pharmacists, the other day I encountered a prescription for which a doctor writes with his less dominant hand. Another one of the techs told me that he does this because he doesnt want his patients to duplicate his style of handwriting. This really doesnt make any sense. In addition, it seems more doctors might be writing prescriptions with their less dominant hands http://www.pharmacytimes.com/article.cfm?ID=4245. Look at the script on the left side, which is for Lipitor. Clearly no human being is this bad at their handwriting unless they are writing with their untrained hand. So has anyone else encountered this fallacy in logic. Someone can make fake a prescription pretty easily since some of the paper that these prescriptions are on are ordinary with no security background. The pharmacists nor the pharmacy techs check to make sure the doctors characteristic handwriting style is consistant with all the scripts he has written in the past.

2. Why not make all prescriptions electronic, or type them and print them out for the patients? The directions are much more clear and precise. It also allows the patient to know what he is taking without having to guess from the handwriting. On top of all that, you are saving your patient from a potential misfill!!!! You are also saving your pharmacists from losing their license and the pharmacy for getting sued. I am also sure you care for your patients, so why not take this slight extra step which provides convenience for all in the long run. The bottomline is if a pharmacy has called your office for clarification on a prescription due to handwritting on several occasions, it is time for you to suck up your pride and type your prescriptions out.

Members don't see this ad.

I am truly sorry to hear that.... someday this will all go away as more electronic medical records and scripts are adopted. :(

I hope it was not a family medicine doc who did this. (I'm double handed but my right hand is clearly better at writing).

I hate illegible handwriting, especially when I'm trying to read an attending's progress note and/or orders and have to try to figure out what he/she is planning to do for a patient. It takes me a long time to figure out what was written and sometimes I don't have a clue nor the residents. This is really bad for patient care. It slows the entire team down and makes it more likely for mistakes to be made. I've had an attending who said that he writes sloppy on purpose so that other people can't read his handwriting and his plans. Is it because he is insecure with his management? If so, why be an attending????

Members don't see this ad :)
so when are they gonna start using computers?

do any doctors use micro pc's these days? if your patient needs an Rx, just shoot an electronic message to the pharmacy via internet, right?

When I have my own practice, I'm gonna be using laptops as much as i can. my writing doesn't suck too much, but I like to minimize paper usage.

I've had an attending who said that he writes sloppy on purpose so that other people can't read his handwriting and his plans. Is it because he is insecure with his management? If so, why be an attending????

I've seen doctors do that. One resident told me that if they can't read it then they can't sue. Awful I know, but if you're the only one that can read the chicken-scratch then you can make it say whatever the hell you need it to.

That example was unreal though. I'd never have gotten Lipitor from that.

One resident told me that if they can't read it then they can't sue.

Not true.

An organized, legible medical record can be your best friend in a lawsuit. A messy, illegible record will hang you out to dry. To a jury, sloppy notes equal sloppy care.

It's not that you can't sue... it's that you can claim that it didnt say what everyone thinks it is saying..... thus take it out as evidence....

This can be turned against the person very badly....

my state requires that rxs be typed or printed. all cursive rxs are rejected as illegible.

my state requires that rxs be typed or printed. all cursive rxs are rejected as illegible.

There's a reason it's called "cursive"...&@%#*!! ;)

Everything I write is printed. I don't even remember how to write cursive.