Doctor Respect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I might post this one on my fridge.

Might want to put it inside your frig!

Climate change is with us. A decade ago, it was conjecture. Now the future is unfolding before our eyes. Canada's Inuit see it in disappearing Arctic ice and permafrost. The shantytown dwellers of Latin America and Southern Asia see it in lethal storms and floods. Europeans see it in disappearing glaciers, forest fires and fatal heat waves.

Scientists see it in tree rings, ancient coral and bubbles trapped in ice cores. These reveal that the world has not been as warm as it is now for a millennium or more. The three warmest years on record have all occurred since 1998; 19 of the warmest 20 since 1980. And Earth has probably never warmed as fast as in the past 30 years - a period when natural influences on global temperatures, such as solar cycles and volcanoes should have cooled us down. Studies of the thermal inertia of the oceans suggest that there is more warming in the pipeline.

Climatologists reporting for the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) say we are seeing global warming caused by human activities (Affronts to nature)and there are growing fears of feedbacks that will accelerate this warming.

Global greenhouse

People are causing the change by burning nature's vast stores of coal, oil and natural gas. This releases billions of tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) every year, although the changes may actually have started with the dawn of agriculture, say some scientists.

The physics of the "greenhouse effect" has been a matter of scientific fact for a century. CO2 is a greenhouse gas that traps the Sun's radiation within the troposphere, the lower atmosphere. It has accumulated along with other man-made greenhouse gases, such as methane and chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

If current trends continue, we will raise atmospheric CO2 concentrations to double pre-industrial levels during this century. That will probably be enough to raise global temperatures by around 2°C to 5°C. Some warming is certain, but the degree will be determined by feedbacks involving melting ice, the oceans, water vapour, clouds and changes to vegetation.

Warming is bringing other unpredictable changes. Melting glaciers and precipitation are causing some rivers to overflow, while evaporation is emptying others. Diseases are spreading. Some crops grow faster while others see yields slashed by disease and drought. Strong hurricanes are becoming more frequent and destructive. Arctic sea ice is melting faster every year, and there are growing fears of a shutdown of the ocean currents that keep Europe warm for its latitude. Clashes over dwindling water resources may cause conflicts in many regions.

As natural ecosystems - such as coral reefs - are disrupted, biodiversity is reduced. Most species cannot migrate fast enough to keep up, though others are already evolving in response to warming.

Thermal expansion of the oceans, combined with melting ice on land, is also raising sea levels. In this century, human activity could trigger an irreversible melting of the Greenland ice sheet and Antarctic glaciers. This would condemn the world to a rise in sea level of six metres - enough to flood land occupied by billions of people.

But there is no affront to nature is there?

Members don't see this ad.

Climate change is with us. A decade ago, it was conjecture. Now the future is unfolding before our eyes. Canada's Inuit see it in disappearing Arctic ice and permafrost. The shantytown dwellers of Latin America and Southern Asia see it in lethal storms and floods. Europeans see it in disappearing glaciers, forest fires and fatal heat waves.

Scientists see it in tree rings, ancient coral and bubbles trapped in ice cores. These reveal that the world has not been as warm as it is now for a millennium or more. The three warmest years on record have all occurred since 1998; 19 of the warmest 20 since 1980. And Earth has probably never warmed as fast as in the past 30 years - a period when natural influences on global temperatures, such as solar cycles and volcanoes should have cooled us down. Studies of the thermal inertia of the oceans suggest that there is more warming in the pipeline.

Climatologists reporting for the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) say we are seeing global warming caused by human activities (Affronts to nature)and there are growing fears of feedbacks that will accelerate this warming.

Global greenhouse

People are causing the change by burning nature's vast stores of coal, oil and natural gas. This releases billions of tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) every year, although the changes may actually have started with the dawn of agriculture, say some scientists.

The physics of the "greenhouse effect" has been a matter of scientific fact for a century. CO2 is a greenhouse gas that traps the Sun's radiation within the troposphere, the lower atmosphere. It has accumulated along with other man-made greenhouse gases, such as methane and chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

If current trends continue, we will raise atmospheric CO2 concentrations to double pre-industrial levels during this century. That will probably be enough to raise global temperatures by around 2°C to 5°C. Some warming is certain, but the degree will be determined by feedbacks involving melting ice, the oceans, water vapour, clouds and changes to vegetation.

Warming is bringing other unpredictable changes. Melting glaciers and precipitation are causing some rivers to overflow, while evaporation is emptying others. Diseases are spreading. Some crops grow faster while others see yields slashed by disease and drought. Strong hurricanes are becoming more frequent and destructive. Arctic sea ice is melting faster every year, and there are growing fears of a shutdown of the ocean currents that keep Europe warm for its latitude. Clashes over dwindling water resources may cause conflicts in many regions.

As natural ecosystems - such as coral reefs - are disrupted, biodiversity is reduced. Most species cannot migrate fast enough to keep up, though others are already evolving in response to warming.

Thermal expansion of the oceans, combined with melting ice on land, is also raising sea levels. In this century, human activity could trigger an irreversible melting of the Greenland ice sheet and Antarctic glaciers. This would condemn the world to a rise in sea level of six metres - enough to flood land occupied by billions of people.

An affront is a deliberate insult. Global warming is a side effect of our lifestyle. It is not done to deliberately insult nature and hurt his feelings.

Its not like nature stole our kickball and ran into his house and we are warming the globe to get back at him.

Our lifestyle simply warms the globe. It does not insult an intangible entity that consciously governs our life.

All nature is is a set of laws and random actions that result in life.

Global greenhouse

No.

By the way, I am very familiar with all that you said above. I wrote my undergraduate thesis on the Inuit in Northern Canada, and I now live in Florida, and I have snorkeled many of the dead and dying reefs near the Keys.

However, climate change, the death of species, and change in general all existed long before humans. Nature was not insulted. Humans have had to adapt to climate change before, and again, nature was not insulted. We are not the first dominant species to change a biosphere or wipe out another species. Why does change = bad? I'm sure nature has no opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh by the way, I am not one of the global warming doom and gloom crowd. Are we warming? Probably. Is it our fault? Maybe. It's hard to tell now that political correctness has drowned out legitimate scientific discourse on the issue. However, no one can convince me that warming would be all bad. Climates would change. Some barren land will be arable. Some arable land will become barren. Some frozen regions will suddenly become livable. There are pros and cons to everything. We really can't predict anything. We can barely track a hurricane for two days. I doubt any of our climatologists can accurately predict changes in weather patterns from 100 years of slight global temperature increases.

Hey, didn't those insensitive neolithic hunters run large herds of bison off of cliffs, take all the meat they could use, and leave the rest, thousands of animals, to rot in the prehistoric sun?

Bastards. If you ask me Native Americans should pay reparations for their bison genocide. What a bunch of ****-*****.

Let's say that I eat two pounds of beef a week which is probably about right. Taking out the four weeks or so for the Great Fast before Easter this leaves about 48 weeks of beef consuption per year which works out to about 100 pounds of beef a year. I'm 43 and have been eating beef for about 40 years. Let's say that's about 4000 pounds of beef which works out to a lifetime total of three, maybe four cows.

I eat the fat and gristle on a steak so I'm not wasting anything. My dogs get the bones.

Your typical neolithic hunting band probably had twenty individuals. Except for the odd vegetarian who evolved into what we know today as liberal democrats, they killed more ruminants per capita in one stampede than I've eaten in my entire life because the archeological evidence shows thousands of dead bison which they could not possibly have eaten. You can only eat so much beef-jerky before you get sick of it although I have never arrived at that point.

My point? Primative man was a senseless raper of the environment.

Let's say that I eat two pounds of beef a week which is probably about right. Taking out the four weeks or so for the Great Fast before Easter this leaves about 48 weeks of beef consuption per year which works out to about 100 pounds of beef a year. I'm 43 and have been eating beef for about 40 years. Let's say that's about 4000 pounds of beef which works out to a lifetime total of three, maybe four cows.

I eat the fat and gristle on a steak so I'm not wasting anything. My dogs get the bones.

Your typical neolithic hunting band probably had twenty individuals. Except for the odd vegetarian who evolved into what we know today as liberal democrats, they killed more ruminants per capita in one stampede than I've eaten in my entire life because the archeological evidence shows thousands of dead bison which they could not possibly have eaten. You can only eat so much beef-jerky before you get sick of it although I have never arrived at that point.

My point? Primative man was a senseless raper of the environment.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, this is all the faults of the cyanobacteria living in the ocean.

Mother earth was happy being an active world, with an atmosphere consisting of carbon dioxide, methane, sulfur dioxide, ammonia, nitrogen, and hydrochloric acid.

Ever since cyanobacteria changed the atmosphere, mother earth have been different since. And she is vengeful - think of all the massive extinctions that occured as she tried to return to her original form ... the Ordovician-Silurian extinction, the Late Devonian extinction, the Permian-Triassic extinction, the End Triassic extinction, and the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction (surely the fault of western civilization as we insult mother earth).

And she's still angry at the moon for slamming her and stealing part of her mass. In fact, she tries to push the moon away every year because she's still angry.

We humans are trying to do our part to return this planet back to its original state and appease Mother Earth - that's why we're trying to fill the atmosphere with carbon dioxide and sulfur. We're also kind to our animal neighbors by trying to prevent another ice age (that invariable causes many extinctions every 10,000 years).

*anthropomorphization is fun

Well, this is all the faults of the cyanobacteria living in the ocean.

Mother earth was happy being an active world, with an atmosphere consisting of carbon dioxide, methane, sulfur dioxide, ammonia, nitrogen, and hydrochloric acid.

Ever since cyanobacteria changed the atmosphere, mother earth have been different since. And she is vengeful - think of all the massive extinctions that occured as she tried to return to her original form ... the Ordovician-Silurian extinction, the Late Devonian extinction, the Permian-Triassic extinction, the End Triassic extinction, and the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction (surely the fault of western civilization as we insult mother earth).

And she's still angry at the moon for slamming her and stealing part of her mass. In fact, she tries to push the moon away every year because she's still angry.

We humans are trying to do our part to return this planet back to its original state and appease Mother Earth - that's why we're trying to fill the atmosphere with carbon dioxide and sulfur. We're also kind to our animal neighbors by trying to prevent another ice age (that invariable causes many extinctions every 10,000 years).

*anthropomorphization is fun

:laugh:

Please don't let this thread die. Do I need to shake da' bones or blow the ceremonial rhino colon to invoke Uppu, the Otter God?

Don't make me go all shaman on your ass.

Please don't let this thread die. Do I need to shake da' bones or blow the ceremonial rhino colon to invoke Uppu, the Otter God?

Don't make me go all shaman on your ass.

If I was as ignorantus as some of you guys, I'd do more than blow a rhino colon. I'd be sticking my head in it, LOL! :D

come on zen just quote one of your "famous" well published (does good housekeeping count?) scientist and this thread will be jumping.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I need to shake da' bones or blow the ceremonial rhino colon to invoke Uppu, the Otter God?

Here, this'll help. ;)

colonblow.jpg

come on zen just quote one of your "famous" well published (does good housekeeping count?) scientist and this thread will be jumping.

How about just a few?

"The most devine art is that of healing.; it must occupy itself with the soul as well as the body." Pythagoras, 5th Century B.C.

"Your body is your subconscious mind." Candace Pert, Ph.D.

"Small is the number of them that see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein

"To omit the spiritual element from our medical worldview is not only narrow and arbitrary, it appears increasingly to be bad science as well." Larry Dossey, MD

Now jump!:laugh:

yet no rebuttal.

Telling you to stick your head in a rhino's colon is most certainly a reBUTTal. Jeez our educational system is going downhill faster than I thought.

Telling you to stick your head in a rhino's colon is most certainly a reBUTTal. Jeez our educational system is going downhill faster than I thought.

That would explain why my attending has a bone through his nose.

That would explain why my attending has a bone through his nose.

I don't think you are giving shamans enough credit. I mean, they can wear mail armor and equip a shield.

Strengths:

-Can heal themselves and resurrect other players after battle.
-Can transform into a Ghost Wolf, allowing for fast travel.
-Can use totems of earth, air, fire and water.
-Can walk on water.
-Instant cast damage spells.

See for yourself!

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/shaman/

Here I sit in Ubud, Bali and no action here. Jeez, guess I'll go do something:D

How about just a few?

"The most devine art is that of healing.; it must occupy itself with the soul as well as the body." Pythagoras, 5th Century B.C.

"Your body is your subconscious mind." Candace Pert, Ph.D.

"Small is the number of them that see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein

"To omit the spiritual element from our medical worldview is not only narrow and arbitrary, it appears increasingly to be bad science as well." Larry Dossey, MD

Now jump!:laugh:
Well that was useless.

Zenman needs to see a neurologist, I don't think anyone could make arguments the way he does and have a properly functioning CNS.

Here I sit in Ubud, Bali and no action here. Jeez, guess I'll go do something:D

You only like Bali (and by extension, other foreign countries) because they're different. I've kind of moved beyond that primative world view and now much prefer places like Lansing, Michigan (where I currently live) to someplace like, let's say, Venice because it's not too different than anywhere else.

See my point? You're running away from boredom but would probably be bored to death in Bali if you weren't so superficial.

Well that was useless.

Zenman needs to see a neurologist, I don't think anyone could make arguments the way he does and have a properly functioning CNS.

But that was what was asked for...was it not...by the poster? My CNS is fine, thanks.

You only like Bali (and by extension, other foreign countries) because they're different. I've kind of moved beyond that primative world view and now much prefer places like Lansing, Michigan (where I currently live) to someplace like, let's say, Venice because it's not too different than anywhere else.

See my point? You're running away from boredom but would probably be bored to death in Bali if you weren't so superficial.

I don't think I'm superficial, however I suffer from the borebom common to many adrenaline junkies (although I'm less of one in my older age). Yes, the USA is boring for the most part; you can't even find an AK-47 within one block of your house!

Seeing a girl on a motorbike get run over by a car in Bali and taking care of her barely jacked my pulse up. For the most part, I was not bored in Bali.

I don't think I'm superficial, however I suffer from the borebom common to many adrenaline junkies (although I'm less of one in my older age). Yes, the USA is boring for the most part; you can't even find an AK-47 within one block of your house!

You just don't know how to shop