Do your letter writers let you see the letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kouneko

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my first letter of recommendation. In addition to sending the letter via Interfolio, the professor also sent me "a copy for my record." I asked my friend about it and he said that's the norm and the professors will usually let us see the letters.

Is that true? Should I also expect the same from my other two writers?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't happen that way for me. I was given one of my letters to read but it was from a dr that I know very well.

I just got my first letter of recommendation. In addition to sending the letter via Interfolio, the professor also sent me "a copy for my record." I asked my friend about it and he said that's the norm and the professors will usually let us see the letters.

Is that true? Should I also expect the same from my other two writers?
I beg to disagree. I am very close to my professors (we even drank together) yet he did not let me read his letter. I dont think you should expect to see the other letters

Members don't see this ad :)
I beg to disagree. I am very close to my professors (we even drank together) yet he did not let me read his letter. I dont think you should expect to see the other letters
Yeah I thought so as well. I didn't expect the professor to send the letter to me so I was surprised. After asking my friend I was confused and thought that might be the norm...

No, that is not the norm and, in fact, could cause an issue when you waive your rights to them and declare that you haven't seen them in AADSAS.

I just remember waiving my right to view the letters, I don't remember declaring that I hadn't seen them. Presumably it's at the letter writers' discretion if they send you the letter or not once you've waived your right.

I would definitely say it's not the norm for letter writers to send you their letters. Only 1 of my 4 sent me their letters, and even seeing one was a complete surprise for me.